LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

No Hazard or Turn Signals

Old 09-21-2010, 03:19 PM   #1
Rico is on a distinguished road

Rico's Tacoma Gallery
No Hazard or Turn Signals

Blinkers/signals worked fine up until I hit the hazard light button on dash. Depressed hazard light button and still no turn signals or Hazard lights inside or out side at all.

All fuses are good and nothing smells burnt or fried. When I press the hazard light button I hear the relay engage near the fuse box but I still zero flashing lights anywhere not even in the dash.

This happened about two years ago, one morning I press the hazard button and it worked and so did the turn signals. Very strange!

Could this be a bad relay or hazard switch (button)? My guess is the turn signals are on the same relay circuit as the hazards.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:06 PM   #2
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Take the dash trim off and check the plug connection for the hazards. I found out (the hard way) that if the hazard switch is disconnected the turn signals don't work at all while driving down the road with a nice new stereo jammin'.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:38 PM   #3

Rico's Tacoma Gallery
I suspect it the hazard switch also. I will take it out again and check the contacts.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:03 PM   #4

Rico's Tacoma Gallery
Ahh Think I found the problem but I need someone to test. The hazard switch has a little light bulb that easily screws in or out when it needs to be replaced. If the bulb is burned, it leaves the circuit open. I think this bulb completes the turn signal and hazard circuit. Can someone confirm by removing the light and see what happens or better yet check the wiring schematic for a 2000 Tacoma 4x4 SR5.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:06 AM   #5
EnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EnolaGaia's Tacoma Gallery
Nope - that can't be it.

The illumination bulb in the hazard switch is on an entirely different circuit (same as your dashboard lighting).

If you haven't done so already, check the 15A HORN fuse.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:58 AM   #6

Rico's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnolaGaia View Post
Nope - that can't be it.

The illumination bulb in the hazard switch is on an entirely different circuit (same as your dashboard lighting).

If you haven't done so already, check the 15A HORN fuse.
15A horn fuse checked and is good. Horn works fine. However two weeks ago it didn't work either then one day I had to slam on my breaks and hit the horn hard and it worked.????

Does the ECU control the Horn,Turn sig and Hazards circuits at all?
Old 09-22-2010, 09:26 AM   #7
EnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed
The ECM has nothing to do with any of these functions.

The line controlled by the hazard switch has the 15A HORN fuse as its power source.

Are all four turn signal lamps working?

The hazard switch (and / or wiring around it) is probably the #1 suspect. I'd rank the flasher #2.

However, your report of the horn weirdness suggests you have a more general wiring fault issue somewhere in your dash area.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:44 PM   #8

Rico's Tacoma Gallery
Problem Solved:

Flasher was bad. I opened the casing which was easy to do and I saw one end of a solder joint was a little burned. The solder joint looked ok at first glance but under close examination I could see the solder was not bonding to the metal component joint. I remove,sanded, cleaned the component and soldered back on with a little flux. Good as new.
Attached Thumbnails
No Hazard or Turn Signals-flasher.jpg  
Old 10-14-2010, 08:10 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota Tacoma View Post
you have just fixed my hazards problem! thanks!
Glad to be of service ...