Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Frame Rust 2001 -2004

Old 01-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #221
Limited
lucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lucky73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPICOTACO View Post
what year is the truck? buy-back goes thru 2000 trucks and new frame for 01-04.. can't help you w/ cali dealers though
It is 2003. Has been sprayed by Toyota and even patched...all the black spray-on stuff is flaking off.
Attached Thumbnails
Frame Rust 2001 -2004-img_4524.jpg   Frame Rust 2001 -2004-img_4534.jpg  
Old 01-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #222
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky73 View Post
It is 2003. Has been sprayed by Toyota and even patched...

HUH ???? Toyota did not do the "patch" correct ????
Old 01-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #223
TIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TIPICOTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky73 View Post
It is 2003. Has been sprayed by Toyota and even patched...all the black spray-on stuff is flaking off.
patched by Toyota?!?! I had no idea they did that. Why did they not replace the frame?

I'v noticed that my spray is flaking too in just a couple isolated places.. not a huge concern though to me, 'cause if it fails b4 2016 I get a new frame

and Lucky - your buddy is covered thru 2018 and will get a new frame if/when it fails soo I'd say rest easy and wheelit like hell, then get a new frame and wheelit forever more
Old 01-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #224
Limited
lucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lucky73's Tacoma Gallery
At Toyota Now with Regional TOYNA service guy
Old 01-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #225
Limited

lucky73's Tacoma Gallery
frame is ugly/rusty but Toyota ok'd it and said it is good to go. they will inspect every year and replace the frame at such time as it becomes penetrable (from corrosion).

suggestion - IF you have an 01-04 get the local dealer to inspect and build up solid stack of paperwork every year to document the progress and establish owner prudence.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:56 AM   #226
Tbangerter is on a distinguished road
Tbangerter's Tacoma Gallery
2004 frame completely rusted out

I have an 04 tacoma that apparelty has a completely rusted out frame. I was driving down the road and noticed some unusual rattling. I stopped and upon inspection found that the frame on both sides had cracked all the way through directly above the rear tires. This rendered the vehicle extremely unsafe to drive. I had it towed to a repair shop and they told me that a complete frame replacement needs to be done and that the vehicleis unsafe to drive as is. They said the frame is completely rusted out. I understand the vehicle came out of New York and has high salt concentrations but the rest of the truck is virtually rust free. I canít believe that a frame rusting completely out is normal in just 10 years. I have contacted Toyota and they are telling me that any recalls pertaining tothis have expired. I canít believe they will not step up and fix what is obviously shoddy craftsmanship. From my understanding, they stepped up to the plate with the 1995-2000ís that had the exact same issue and obviously was not fixed in the 2001-2004 models. I am very disappointed with Toyota. If any of the rest of you have experienced this issue and have found a way to resolve it please let me know. Also if you have not resolved it please make a formal complaint to the NHTSA and maybe we can get Toyota to do something about it.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:27 AM   #227
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbangerter View Post
I have an 04 tacoma that apparelty has a completely rusted out frame. I was driving down the road and noticed some unusual rattling. I stopped and upon inspection found that the frame on both sides had cracked all the way through directly above the rear tires. This rendered the vehicle extremely unsafe to drive. I had it towed to a repair shop and they told me that a complete frame replacement needs to be done and that the vehicleis unsafe to drive as is. They said the frame is completely rusted out. I understand the vehicle came out of New York and has high salt concentrations but the rest of the truck is virtually rust free. I canít believe that a frame rusting completely out is normal in just 10 years. I have contacted Toyota and they are telling me that any recalls pertaining tothis have expired. I canít believe they will not step up and fix what is obviously shoddy craftsmanship. From my understanding, they stepped up to the plate with the 1995-2000ís that had the exact same issue and obviously was not fixed in the 2001-2004 models. I am very disappointed with Toyota. If any of the rest of you have experienced this issue and have found a way to resolve it please let me know. Also if you have not resolved it please make a formal complaint to the NHTSA and maybe we can get Toyota to do something about it.
Toyota ran a ~2 year campaign for the trucks to get inspected/sprayed or replaced for the 01-04 years and extended the warranty of the frame to 15 years from build date. How long have you had the truck? If the previous owner had it whenever the recall happened and had it inspected then your frame should be covered. If not, well, all you can do is talk to corporate.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:29 AM   #228
Master Baiter
jethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Geoff
jethro's Tacoma Gallery
Tbangerter, you need to have the dealer check if the original TSB was performed. A TSB is NOT a recall and does expire, so if the previous owner did not perform the TSB then Toyota has no obligation to replace the frame. That is what happened to mine. I was stupid and ignored every piece of mail that came to me from Toyota. My truck was in pretty mint condition:

But it still looked like this underneath:

Now if the TSB was performed than they will owe you a new frame. And tread carefully, because even when Toyota actually does owe you warranty work, they are a bitch to deal with. Good luck.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:43 PM   #229
Yfz 450 is on a distinguished road
Yfz 450's Tacoma Gallery
Were the earlier trucks as prone to failure as these years
Old 10-02-2014, 04:04 PM   #230
Logger is on a distinguished road

Name: Sam
Logger's Tacoma Gallery
this whole rusty frame issue makes me wonder why I even bought one of these trucks. I'm a little worried myself now as my frame has a shit-ton of surface rust on it.

I contacted the dealer before I bought the truck and they said the frame corrosion inhibitor was applied in 2009. What does this mean for me if I have a failure or it doesn't pass inspection?
Old 10-02-2014, 04:22 PM   #231
TIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TIPICOTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logger View Post
this whole rusty frame issue makes me wonder why I even bought one of these trucks. I'm a little worried myself now as my frame has a shit-ton of surface rust on it.

I contacted the dealer before I bought the truck and they said the frame corrosion inhibitor was applied in 2009. What does this mean for me if I have a failure or it doesn't pass inspection?
If you've confirmed that the rust inhibitor was applied by Toyota, then your frame is covered under 'warranty' until 2019 (15yrs from in service date). You should still take it in for the frame inspection annually IMO for peace of mind
Old 10-02-2014, 05:25 PM   #232
paranoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

paranoid56's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logger View Post

its not your truck, its where you live lol. blame the rust on your city using salt
Old 10-02-2014, 09:53 PM   #233
Logger is on a distinguished road

Name: Sam
Logger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPICOTACO View Post
If you've confirmed that the rust inhibitor was applied by Toyota, then your frame is covered under 'warranty' until 2019 (15yrs from in service date). You should still take it in for the frame inspection annually IMO for peace of mind
Thanks for the clarification good to know, this makes me feel way better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid56 View Post
its not your truck, its where you live lol. blame the rust on your city using salt
I agree there to a point, but there's definitely a shortcoming or obvious manufacturer defect with the metal for the frames to rust that bad, that quick. Your fortunate you don't have to worry about it you lucky guy!

Don't get me wrong guys I like my yota and I realize every manufacturer has their problems.