Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Frame Rust 2001 -2004

Old 09-29-2010, 08:29 AM   #21
clarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SE Mass police department
clarkie152's Tacoma Gallery
my frame just got sprayed. all in one day. apparently it takes 5 hours to spray and and 3 hrs to dry. I dropped it off at 730 am and picked it up at 7 pm.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:45 AM   #22
TW's number one gear whore
davestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 99 ZULU
Name: David
davestaco's Tacoma Gallery
just emailed toyota dealership in my area and asked about the frame treat ment...oh and orderd that damn pedal bushing to
Old 09-29-2010, 04:44 PM   #23
doug2001 is on a distinguished road
Army: Veteran: Armor Captain/Company Commander
Name: Doug
doug2001's Tacoma Gallery
PLEASE HELP/ANY ADVICE?? Q: What is the average wait time between failed frame inspection and frame Replacement?

I got my frame inspected over a year ago (sep09). it FAILED the inspection.
the dealership told me "in a month or so" they would get me in for a replacement frame. Long story short: after monthly calls thru June2010 to the dealership and a few calls to corporate pleading for assistance, (I moved in July, closer to another dealership) tried to see if they would help, Initially they apologized, told me I should not have had to wait, and I would be riding on a new frame by 01SEP10 Needless to say, now they are telling me I am at the back of the line and it will be several months.
My family (TWO CHILDREN) are riding around on a failed frame for OVER A YEAR!. I have no choice; I can't trade or sell due to having a failed frame, so I cannot replace the unsafe vehicle. I have tried BBB and the Attorney General, but they accept Toyota's canned reply that they will work to repair my vehicle, and "call customer service" which I have called to the point of exhaustion literally begging for help. i knew of others in the area that had the whole process done in a matter of weeks!?
I registered on this site in the hopes someone out there could help us before it is too late. Please help if you can. Thanx guys,
doug
Old 09-29-2010, 04:48 PM   #24
clarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug2001 View Post
PLEASE HELP/ANY ADVICE?? Q: What is the average wait time between failed frame inspection and frame Replacement?

I got my frame inspected over a year ago (sep09). it FAILED the inspection.
the dealership told me "in a month or so" they would get me in for a replacement frame. Long story short: after monthly calls thru June2010 to the dealership and a few calls to corporate pleading for assistance, (I moved in July, closer to another dealership) tried to see if they would help, Initially they apologized, told me I should not have had to wait, and I would be riding on a new frame by 01SEP10 Needless to say, now they are telling me I am at the back of the line and it will be several months.
My family (TWO CHILDREN) are riding around on a failed frame for OVER A YEAR!. I have no choice; I can't trade or sell due to having a failed frame, so I cannot replace the unsafe vehicle. I have tried BBB and the Attorney General, but they accept Toyota's canned reply that they will work to repair my vehicle, and "call customer service" which I have called to the point of exhaustion literally begging for help.
I registered on this site in the hopes someone out there could help us before it is too late. Please help if you can. Thanx guys,
doug
How bad is your frame? pics of the rust? If it was terrible, usually the dealer wont let you take the truck home.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:58 PM   #25
doug2001 is on a distinguished road
Army: Veteran: Armor Captain/Company Commander
Name: Doug
doug2001's Tacoma Gallery
Hey, thanx soo much for responding. It doesn't look too bad (I'm no mechanic) to me. It does flake off anywhere u touch it and the inner frame is full of old rust/ VERY thin in places, but no gaping holes. I apologize I don't have pics (low tech guy). I agree, I am VERY surprised they won't address my issue, given the possible exposure to liability if something would happen to us. I have never been more baffled by a lack of customer service in my adult life. Thanx again for your response.
doug
Old 09-29-2010, 05:16 PM   #26
03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all

03coma's Tacoma Gallery
You only have until October 31, 2010 to apply the CRT without affecting the Tacoma Frame Warranty Enhancement;

The only states at this time doing it is: NJ, OH, IL, IN, MI, MN, WI, PA, CT, MA, RI, ME, NH, VT, KY, MD, DE, VA, WV

I know there is a lot of talk about this issue, just wanted to share with the group
Old 09-29-2010, 05:21 PM   #27
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03coma View Post
You only have until October 31, 2010 to apply the CRT without affecting the Tacoma Frame Warranty Enhancement;

The only states at this time doing it is: NJ, OH, IL, IN, MI, MN, WI, PA, CT, MA, RI, ME, NH, VT, KY, MD, DE, VA, WV

I know there is a lot of talk about this issue, just wanted to share with the group
Ahhh that clears a lot up for me... I got mine inspected just to have it on record, passed, and didn't get a treatment. So the buyback applies nationwide, but the treatment only gets done in certain states... hmmmm
Old 09-29-2010, 09:07 PM   #28
Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTaco View Post
Ahhh that clears a lot up for me... I got mine inspected just to have it on record, passed, and didn't get a treatment. So the buyback applies nationwide, but the treatment only gets done in certain states... hmmmm

From what i hear, it has to do with EPA regulations in some states i guess?
Old 09-30-2010, 07:25 AM   #29
04YodaTaco will become famous soon enough
04YodaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Thanks for that info. I guess that explains why they didn't offer it to me as I live in NY.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:07 AM   #30
davestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

so i called toyota and they ran my VIN# and said there was no recall for my frame....i guess thats good. but i cant get it sprayed noe. they said the only recall i had was my trailer hitch wiring harness
Old 09-30-2010, 08:09 AM   #31
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I doubt it's EPA stuff... probably more to do with states with more road salt. Toyota doesn't want to spend the money if they don't have to. Kansas tends to not have very strict EPA stuff... we don't even have to inspect vehicles ever
Old 09-30-2010, 08:30 AM   #32
03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all

03coma's Tacoma Gallery
It's not the EPA, it's more the local townships, the fire inspectors have a problem with it. The dealers need to take 1 bay and kinda quarantine it, some officials want them to have exhaust fans in the bays ect.. This crap that they are spraying on the frames (black goo) and inside (white molasses liquid) is nasty stuff.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:38 AM   #33
04YodaTaco will become famous soon enough
04YodaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTaco View Post
I doubt it's EPA stuff... probably more to do with states with more road salt. Toyota doesn't want to spend the money if they don't have to. Kansas tends to not have very strict EPA stuff... we don't even have to inspect vehicles ever
Maybe not EPA stuff. I live in a very snowy area where they use a ton of road salt though and it isn't offered in my state apparently. So I don't think it goes by road salt use. Good news for me I just got a call from the dealer and my truck passed the frame inspection
Old 09-30-2010, 08:44 AM   #34

03coma's Tacoma Gallery
04Yoda I don't know how they are picking the states, but over here in NJ they use tons of salt on the roadways and are offering the coatings.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:50 AM   #35

i want the frame spray just for protection, but they wont let me have it.....guess i gotta go unprotected
Old 09-30-2010, 10:48 AM   #36
"f*#@ it, dude. let's go bowling"
ozark705 is on a distinguished road

ozark705's Tacoma Gallery
Just got back from the dealership and my frame passed. I did inquire about having the rustproofing done anyway and they said Toyota will not cover it. However, after some negotiating, they said they would do it for a discounted price ($150!!! includes labor)! Taking it back in later in October for the treatment.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:20 PM   #37
crazyasu45 is on a distinguished road
crazyasu45's Tacoma Gallery
Why won't they cover it? my frame has passed 3 times already lol and sprayed twice fully covered under warranty that's a bunch of BS if you ask me...
Old 09-30-2010, 02:24 PM   #38

03coma's Tacoma Gallery
It migt be a charge because MO is not one of the authorized states listed for the warranty.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:51 PM   #39
crazyasu45 is on a distinguished road
crazyasu45's Tacoma Gallery
Ahhhh...I see...it's all starting to make sense now haha...
Old 09-30-2010, 04:18 PM   #40
Dang liberals.
tacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
tacomaprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It migt be a charge because MO is not one of the authorized states listed for the warranty.
Ya that's true but we got the dealership to do a frame replacement on my '01. They checked it out and contacted Toyota. Toyota then had two days to come and check her out, upon which they opted for the replacement.

edit - I'm in MO