Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Frame Rust 2001 -2004

Old 09-23-2010, 06:38 AM   #1
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
Frame Rust 2001 -2004

I was reading on another forum that someone posted that Toyota will apply rustproofing to your frame if its in good shape for free anyone heard of this?

2004s are affected too, though if the frame rusts out on the 2001-2004 Tacoma, Toyota will repair or replace it. If any model year of Tacoma has a clean frame or not rusted through, the dealer will apply rust proofing to it free of charge.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:41 AM   #2
ScootsOFP is on a distinguished road

Marines: E4/0311/usmcr/OIF 8-1
Name: Scoot
ScootsOFP's Tacoma Gallery
Yea, I just had mine done. They didn't test my frame though, they just sprayed it. It depends on what state you live in too. I think nebraska was on the list for salt states. They should send you a letter if you rate it.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:43 AM   #3
clarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SE Mass police department
clarkie152's Tacoma Gallery
hey scoots, did you get a rental? how long was it in for?
Old 09-23-2010, 10:54 AM   #4

HA! I'm pretty sure I'm the only one on TW that didn't get a rental. It was in for three days.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:34 PM   #5
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScootsOFP View Post
Yea, I just had mine done. They didn't test my frame though, they just sprayed it. It depends on what state you live in too. I think nebraska was on the list for salt states. They should send you a letter if you rate it.

I sent a e mail to Toyota this AM waiting to see what they say we use a shit load of salt here on the streets.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:25 AM   #6
tacoman101 is a glorious beacon of lighttacoman101 is a glorious beacon of lighttacoman101 is a glorious beacon of lighttacoman101 is a glorious beacon of lighttacoman101 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: scott
tacoman101's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota just sprayed my frame, and im real happy with the way it turned out. I wanted a Tundra to drive but they gave me a Prius Hybrid
Old 09-25-2010, 06:29 PM   #7
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
The previous owner had my frame sprayed at Toyota. It looks like solid work to me, no peeling or flaking and its pretty neat/clean for undercoating tar crap.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:38 PM   #9

I think I just went to a crappy dealer. They either sanded my frame or sprayed the stuff with my windows down and I got black grimey dust all over the inside of my back windows. I'm just lucky it didn't mess up my seats or the stuff in my truck.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:03 PM   #10
boats is on a distinguished road
Navy: USS KIDD & USS ENTERPRISE
boats's Tacoma Gallery
New to the forum but had mine checked. It passed and they applied the rustproofing spray. Process took 1 day and yes got a rental car.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:29 PM   #11
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
Got a call from the Toyota case worker and he read to me what Toyota feels is the right way to address inspecting a frame bla bla bla, He said that owners are entitled to one complimentry frame inspection a year and for me to have it inspected, that said mine is in great shape, I was thinking that if the dealer wanted to treat it for free regardless of the condition go ahead, but I don't think that is going to happen, unless there slow on shop work.So I guess its getting the lawn sprinker treatment underneath when I wash it this winter.

I am taking it in for trans service next month and will see what they say.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:37 PM   #12
smbundy13 is just really nicesmbundy13 is just really nicesmbundy13 is just really nicesmbundy13 is just really nicesmbundy13 is just really nice

Name: Scott
smbundy13's Tacoma Gallery
I had my frame inspected and tried to get them to spray the coating on there and no dealer around here knew anything about it.. of course I am in alabama where it snows once every 3 years and there is no salt on the road or in the air so, whatever.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:44 PM   #13
Lube: It's the key to penetration.
STLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Charlotte VRS: EMT/Driver
Name: Harry
STLharry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbundy13 View Post
I had my frame inspected and tried to get them to spray the coating on there and no dealer around here knew anything about it.. of course I am in alabama where it snows once every 3 years and there is no salt on the road or in the air so, whatever.
Don't get it sprayed if you don't have to! It's a mess to work around and gets everywhere. I like having it, but since you're in AL and can avoid it you should.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:36 AM   #14
clarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SE Mass police department
clarkie152's Tacoma Gallery
dropped mine off for its 730 appointment this morning to get sprayed. The manager says it takes about 5 hours to spray, and 3 to dry. Il be back at 7 when i get outta work to pick it up!
Old 09-28-2010, 12:32 PM   #15
crazyasu45 is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
crazyasu45's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLharry View Post
Don't get it sprayed if you don't have to! It's a mess to work around and gets everywhere. I like having it, but since you're in AL and can avoid it you should.
Actually it's not mess...It's completly dry...Baked on under a heat lamp...
Attached Thumbnails
Frame Rust 2001 -2004-dsc02672.jpg  
Old 09-28-2010, 01:12 PM   #16
danteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud of
danteisme's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyasu45 View Post
Actually it's not mess...It's completly dry...Baked on under a heat lamp...

hell that looks nice! i wonder if/how much they would do that for my 2nd gen haha
Old 09-28-2010, 01:31 PM   #17
Dang liberals.
tacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
tacomaprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
My 2001 is getting the frame replaced in October...it's a Missouri vehicle, which isn't on the recall list, but Toyota took a look at the rust holes in the frame (there's about 5 or so holes) and decided to replace it.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:19 PM   #18
"f*#@ it, dude. let's go bowling"
ozark705 is on a distinguished road

ozark705's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaprerunner View Post
My 2001 is getting the frame replaced in October...it's a Missouri vehicle, which isn't on the recall list, but Toyota took a look at the rust holes in the frame (there's about 5 or so holes) and decided to replace it.
Where in MO are you getting the frame replaced? I am in mid-MO and the Toyota dealership have replaced frames in Tacomas, but had not heard of spraying the rustproof stuff. Did they give you the option of having it sprayed?

I'm taking my '03 in on Thursday morning and am worried that they will not give me the option of applying the rustproofing. So many horror stories of people getting frames replaced, do not want to be one of the casualties.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:28 PM   #19
Dang liberals.
tacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
tacomaprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozark705 View Post
Where in MO are you getting the frame replaced? I am in mid-MO and the Toyota dealership have replaced frames in Tacomas, but had not heard of spraying the rustproof stuff. Did they give you the option of having it sprayed?

I'm taking my '03 in on Thursday morning and am worried that they will not give me the option of applying the rustproofing. So many horror stories of people getting frames replaced, do not want to be one of the casualties.
We took it to Machens. They didn't mention giving us the choice for the rustproofing. They probably wanted the business though - they get paid for 40 hours of labor, which is about $4000 (based on about $100/hour labor). If you are rusted through and for whatever reason they give you the choice, go with the replacement for sure.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:25 PM   #20
Resident MMA Fanatic
SlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SlimDigg's Tacoma Gallery
Went to my local dealership in Vernon today. Told him I wanted to know if my truck falls under the recall. He said they no longer do that spraying. Then after he looked up my truck he said they would spray it. He said he would call whent he chemicals came in. Then an hour later he called and booked me for an appointment next wednesday. I told him I didn't want it botched because i've heard horror stories. He told me toyota sent them a 30 page document outlining how to do the treament. I told him all i wanted was the rust wire brushed off before application. He told me that was part of the process. I'll post before and after pics for sure.