1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Oil Change What a mess

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Ricky B, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Jul 15, 2008 at 7:43 AM
    Ricky B

Ricky B [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    1998 XCAB
    Well I just got my Tacoma a couple of weeks ago and I changed the oil yesterday. When I dropped the oil plug I let it go into the big plastic oil drum that has a small hole in the middle of it. The plug somehow centered itself in that hole and about half the oil spilled over onto my driveway :eek:. The oil filter is located under the alternator and the only way I could see to get to it was from the front of the veh and reaching down under the alternator and barely turning it. When it came off alot of oil went over everything. I put the truck in neutral and pushed it back, cleaned all of the oil up I could and then started putting a gallon of oil in and remembered I hadn't put the plug back in. Oh my wife is laughing now. Back to the store I went to buy more oil in her car. Lets say 3 hours later I got it done. Will grease it tonight.

* how do you guys get to the oil filter??
    * any idea on how to clean oil stain up off concrete drive???

2. Jul 15, 2008 at 8:19 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Clay cat littler works good for cleaning up spilled oil. Also, when removeing the filter, get a large freezer ziplock bag, loosen the filter, put the bag around the filter, and then remove the rest of the way by hand. The bag will catch the oil. FWIW, I always get to the filter the same way you did. Its awkward, but it works. :)

3. Jul 15, 2008 at 8:23 AM
    ERdept

ERdept Well-Known Member

Member:
    I get to teh filter from the front. I did experience oil drops as well.

Now, I take a screwdriver and push down some rags into the area around the filter, where it's seated.

This way, when I unscrew it, the drip is contained in the cloth and not in the cup area.

As far as the bottom is concerned, I use the Fumot quick drain plug. No messes at all.

4. Jul 15, 2008 at 11:55 AM
    stucksucksnayota

stucksucksnayota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    14 Taco 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    OEM roof rack, Shorty antenna (eBay), soft tonneau cover, K&N drop in air filter, bed mat, interior LED lights, 5100's, MT tires to come soon!!!
    My 01 has a V-6 in it and the way i gey my oil filter off its kinda hard to explan but ill try. Look at your drivers side front fender well behind the tire. You will see a plastic skirt peice that is snaped on there. I unsnap the end of that skirt and its perfect my arm fits right through it and if you will be directly in line with your oil filter. From what ive seen the tacoma with the front skid plate make it a little tough because you cant really keep all the oil off of it. But take a look at what im talkin about and see if you understand what im saying because it will make it a shit load easier!!

5. Jul 15, 2008 at 12:09 PM
    Ricky B

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    1998 XCAB
    Hey I almost took off that wheel, thanks for the input on the skirt I will remove it that way and see if its easier. I also looked at the Fumoto value and that would sure make it easier also. Has anybody heard or had any negative reactions to this value. Rick

6. Jul 15, 2008 at 12:25 PM
    stucksucksnayota

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    OEM roof rack, Shorty antenna (eBay), soft tonneau cover, K&N drop in air filter, bed mat, interior LED lights, 5100's, MT tires to come soon!!!
    LOL u dont need to actually take the tire and wheel off you just reach behind it.

7. Jul 15, 2008 at 12:46 PM
    Ricky B

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    1998 XCAB
    lol at me. Thats why I had such a mess. Thanks for the reply. Rick

8. Jul 15, 2008 at 1:22 PM
    stucksucksnayota

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    It just takes a little time and practice. And once you figure out what im talkin about with the oil filter it you will find it alot easier!

Products Discussed in

To Top