1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OK fellow Taco owners with a rattle

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by rico334, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Sep 23, 2010 at 3:21 PM
    rico334

rico334 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD 2 WD
    A couple of weeks ago, I posted about fixing my annoying dash rattle on the passenger side. I was thinking it was the air bag loose on it's mounts, threatened to fill that area full of expandable foam, went to walmart and bought two foam pillows and crammed them in pieces under the entire dash, then found what I swore was the rattle, a loose fan motor that was screwed to the mount under the passenger dashboard...... Y'all remember this saga?....:):confused::):confused::):confused:

Well, that fan motor was causing a rattle, just not the rattle I thought it was. Today after deciding I was going to dismantle the truck to the ground if I had to, I was driving to Auto Zone to pick up a service manual to guide me through the impending destruction I was about to do. While enroute and trying to drive and keep my head stuck under and around the passenger side still looking and searching for a possible cause, I FOUND WHAT IT IS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And it's not even anywhere near the dash. For some reason, the sound just makes you think thats where it's coming from.

It's the friggin passenger seat. When it's slid all the way to the rear of the rails, it's loose and rattles the mind blowing rattle I've been searching for. Slide it forward on the rails and no rattle. Slide it back again and it rattles. I can shake the seat and it seems loose somewhere under the back left area where the seat rides on the rail. The mount holding the entire seat to the body is secure.

So anyone know how the seat works on these sliding rails, if there's a bolt or something that may have worked loose ? It's too small an area in the back seat passenger floorboard to contort around to look underneath to tell........

2. Sep 23, 2010 at 3:27 PM
    Manlaan

Manlaan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Riverton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab SR5 V6 4x4 Black
    See Signature
    When I had mine out to install my seat covers, I didn't remember anything that could be loose like that, but I wasn't really paying attention to that either.

Its just 4 bolts and the whole thing can come out. Even if you do find the reason its loose, you'll probably have to take it out to fix it anyway. Maybe its even just one of the main bolts thats loose/missing or a spring thats rattling. Lots of springs under there.

3. Sep 23, 2010 at 3:50 PM
    rico334

rico334 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD 2 WD
    I'm too big, fat and old to contort around in the little floorboard in the back to look under it, so I may have to take it out. There is a plastic piece that covers the bolt that mounts the seat to the hump area in the back...... how does the plastic cap come off ? It seems mega tight and the bolt can't be seen because of it covering it.

4. Sep 23, 2010 at 10:39 PM
    brelandt

brelandt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Dublin, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner reg cab SR5
    3" lift front and back
    OK, well I have the same rattle, at least I think I have the same rattle as you cause it's hard to tell from just reading a post if its the same but I have a bench seat with a regular cab. So maybe mine is not the same rattle? Oh well!

5. Sep 24, 2010 at 8:57 AM
    TallTacoma

TallTacoma Bear fvcker!

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    The Silver State
    Vehicle:
    Come and take it from my cold, dead hands.
    3" suspension lift (ToyTec coilovers and wheeler leafs), Yakima roof rack, ARE tonneau, K&N FIPK.
    I had the rattle coming from the passenger's side of the dash. I solved the problem by rolling up a rubber band and wedging said rubber band between the window and the dash. It's been like that for 80,000 miles.

Yeah, I can see the rubber band and it looks like $hit, but it's easier to ignore the sight of the rubber band than the noise of the rattle.

Never had a rattle problem with a seat.

6. Sep 24, 2010 at 8:59 AM
    Pyro

Pyro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Tehachapi, CA
    Vehicle:
    14' Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Bilstein 5100
    mine was doing the exact thing. It wasnt rattling, it was just making a squeeking/craking noise. I was having a bad day, and I just smacked my dash and that fixed it lol

7. Sep 24, 2010 at 9:03 AM
    nelson18matt

nelson18matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    the dash rattle is one of many noises my truck makes.

i got pretty technical in my attmept to fix it... a folded up 8x11 piece of printer papar stuffed between the dash and the windshield. it works

a can post a pic if you need me to :D

8. Sep 24, 2010 at 9:19 AM
    brelandt

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Dublin, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner reg cab SR5
    3" lift front and back
    Can you draw a picture instead? LOL ;)

9. Sep 24, 2010 at 9:21 AM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    :worthless:

:D

10. Sep 24, 2010 at 9:27 AM
    brelandt