Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Taco performance upgrades.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:05 PM   #1
bhtyler10 is on a distinguished road

bhtyler10's Tacoma Gallery
Taco performance upgrades.

I was wondering what the best bet for adding a few ponies to a 3.4 v6 tacoma would be. For a low price what is the best option. I was thinking cold air intake but i have heard ups and downs about them. Also what about a throttle body spacer??
thanks, tyler
Old 07-16-2008, 05:47 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
A throttlebody spacer will do nothing for newer engines. The best thing you can do for a few extra h.p. for little money would be the deck plate mod. Do a search for it, and you will find instructions. That mod will give the same gain as a "cold air intake". You can get a new exhaust, headers, etc., but you wont get more than 15-20 h.p.. The only other thing to get major h.p. gain would be a turbo, or supercharger.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:47 PM   #3
bhtyler10 is on a distinguished road

bhtyler10's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
A throttlebody spacer will do nothing for newer engines. The best thing you can do for a few extra h.p. for little money would be the deck plate mod. Do a search for it, and you will find instructions. That mod will give the same gain as a "cold air intake". You can get a new exhaust, headers, etc., but you wont get more than 15-20 h.p.. The only other thing to get major h.p. gain would be a turbo, or supercharger.
Thanks Chris,
I actually went and looked at my intake, and come to find out mine already has a deck plate. lol. I bought it last year used, and never noticed, lol. He also has a grey wire mod.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:00 PM   #4
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhtyler10 View Post
Thanks Chris,
I actually went and looked at my intake, and come to find out mine already has a deck plate. lol. I bought it last year used, and never noticed, lol. He also has a grey wire mod.
Nice! Saves you a little time.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:21 PM   #5
backwoodking is on a distinguished road
backwoodking's Tacoma Gallery
I was wary about the deck plate mod before I put it on and now I love it! My check engine light came for a day after I finished, but the MAF had some shavings of plastic from where I cut the air box. I drove it on a good drive and it went off and I am getting great gas mileage and it actually sounds better to me. The cheapest hp and mpg gain Ive ever done. I wouldn't even bother with cold air. Not worth the $$ now.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:24 PM   #6
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodking View Post
I was wary about the deck plate mod before I put it on and now I love it! My check engine light came for a day after I finished, but the MAF had some shavings of plastic from where I cut the air box. I drove it on a good drive and it went off and I am getting great gas mileage and it actually sounds better to me. The cheapest hp and mpg gain Ive ever done. I wouldn't even bother with cold air. Not worth the $$ now.
you got that right man.....the deckplate is way better than an intake........way cheaper too. and you can add an afe pro dry s air filter to it for some extra mileage gain......and the whole deal is still way less than an intake. gonna order my afe pretty soon!!
Old 10-01-2008, 10:38 AM   #7
stanger is on a distinguished road
stanger's Tacoma Gallery
bump that! did it last month very impressed
Old 10-01-2008, 10:59 AM   #8
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
I'm really behind, I need to do that deckplate......yeah, I'm a slacker sometimes.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:27 AM   #9
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy4Life View Post
I'm really behind, I need to do that deckplate......yeah, I'm a slacker sometimes.
get on it man!!!
Old 10-01-2008, 09:38 PM   #10
The Cooler King
Dustin03 is a glorious beacon of lightDustin03 is a glorious beacon of lightDustin03 is a glorious beacon of lightDustin03 is a glorious beacon of lightDustin03 is a glorious beacon of light

Dustin03's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Dustin03
Well as long as we're talking about the deck plate, I have a quick question. Obviously you've just created a huge hole through which all manner of water and debris can now enter the air box. So just how much damage can be done by possible forgetting to put the deck plate back in place (or heaven forbid being caught without it) when the weather gets wet? I'm not talking about the second coming of Noah's flood, but a fair amount of moisture.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:59 PM   #11
mneuls is just really nicemneuls is just really nicemneuls is just really nicemneuls is just really nicemneuls is just really nice

mneuls's Tacoma Gallery
you could crank out prob another 60hp if you crank your compression and do a full blown port polish, headers, exhaust and whatnot. I managed to get an extra 100 horse on the dyno with my nova and it is still N/A, I'm not really sure if the v6 is much diff from the v8 in that respect, but it should be close to the same.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:34 PM   #12
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin03 View Post
Well as long as we're talking about the deck plate, I have a quick question. Obviously you've just created a huge hole through which all manner of water and debris can now enter the air box. So just how much damage can be done by possible forgetting to put the deck plate back in place (or heaven forbid being caught without it) when the weather gets wet? I'm not talking about the second coming of Noah's flood, but a fair amount of moisture.
Dustin, a few years ago we had torrential rains here in SoCal, I neglected to put back in the plate, I've had no problems. Not a whole lot water or debris gets into the engine compartment, not mine anyway. No need to worry about IMO.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:57 AM   #13
2004Taco will become famous soon enough

2004Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 2004Taco Send a message via Yahoo to 2004Taco
Deckplate mod website

http://www.trdoffroad.com/articles/deckplate/index.php
Old 10-02-2008, 01:54 PM   #14
Hambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to behold

Hambone155's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Hambone155
where can i find cams or headers for my 3.4 95.5?

or both? im willing to put down a little cash
Old 10-02-2008, 05:56 PM   #15
The Cooler King
Dustin03 is a glorious beacon of lightDustin03 is a glorious beacon of lightDustin03 is a glorious beacon of lightDustin03 is a glorious beacon of lightDustin03 is a glorious beacon of light

Dustin03's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Dustin03
Quote:
Originally Posted by humanoid View Post
Dustin, a few years ago we had torrential rains here in SoCal, I neglected to put back in the plate, I've had no problems. Not a whole lot water or debris gets into the engine compartment, not mine anyway. No need to worry about IMO.
Thanks for the info! Now I'm gonna have to do it.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:52 PM   #16
I3uller is on a distinguished road
Army: 82nd Airborne
I3uller's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin03 View Post
As long as you don't go romping through some huge puddles or rivers you should be fine. Worst case scenario is you can get hydrolock. If it locks at low RPM you might be fine...if its revved up high then you could ruin the whole motor.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by I3uller View Post
As long as you don't go romping through some huge puddles or rivers you should be fine. Worst case scenario is you can get hydrolock. If it locks at low RPM you might be fine...if its revved up high then you could ruin the whole motor.
Hydro lock up is a bad thing at ANY rpm. Hydro lock usually means that a rod, crank, piston, etc., broke. I have seen rods shot thru the block from water exposure into the engine. Broken block =
Old 01-20-2009, 09:22 AM   #18
I3uller is on a distinguished road
Army: 82nd Airborne
I3uller's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Hydro lock up is a bad thing at ANY rpm. Hydro lock usually means that a rod, crank, piston, etc., broke. I have seen rods shot thru the block from water exposure into the engine. Broken block =
Well granted you don't wanna hydrolock your engine at all but I've seen some lock up at 3k and lower and you can just remove the plugs, turn it over a couple times, and it will shoot water out of the block like 20 feet. Its really pretty funny to watch. After that you just throw the plugs back in and I've seen em run just fine afterwards.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:32 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by I3uller View Post
Well granted you don't wanna hydrolock your engine at all but I've seen some lock up at 3k and lower and you can just remove the plugs, turn it over a couple times, and it will shoot water out of the block like 20 feet. Its really pretty funny to watch. After that you just throw the plugs back in and I've seen em run just fine afterwards.
Ok. Thats not hydrolocking. thats killing the engine before it locks. Yes, when water is introduced into the engine, you need to shut it off before it goes into the CC. Water doesnt compress, and WILL break something if its in the CC while running. If the engine is shut off, water can still get inside the CC, then you need to pull the plugs and blow it out. A shot of WD-40 into the CC with the plugs removed is a good thing to.