Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Do AAL's settle down????

Old 09-28-2010, 05:24 AM   #1
Carpe Diem
Kuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Kuneff's Tacoma Gallery
Do AAL's settle down????

I just put Add a Leaf's on my Tacoma last night... My god it rides like a war wagon, not to mention it is sitting a good bit higher than the front now, even with the 5100's all the way up.

My leaf springs are about 3 weeks old as well.

Any thoughts???
Old 09-28-2010, 05:38 AM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
My new leaf pack settled about a half inch over a month or so, and hasn't settled any more since.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:40 AM   #3
magog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud of

magog45's Tacoma Gallery
re: aal

It depends on a lot of things, what kind of shape were the old springs in, if they had been done before they may already have the extra leaf. I have also seen a couple where the overloads were installed upside down, that will certainly stiffen up the ride. I always think that in a truck the back should be a bit higher than the front for hauling, not everyone likes that though. Generally the leafs will ride in after a while but too much leaf spring in the back will certainly make the ride worse although my 98 rides pretty bad now and I still have to redo the leafs but I will have the graphite sliders installed, did it on a couple hotrods and it sure made a difference.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:47 AM   #4
Carpe Diem
Kuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Kuneff's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by magog45 View Post
It depends on a lot of things, what kind of shape were the old springs in, if they had been done before they may already have the extra leaf. I have also seen a couple where the overloads were installed upside down, that will certainly stiffen up the ride. I always think that in a truck the back should be a bit higher than the front for hauling, not everyone likes that though. Generally the leafs will ride in after a while but too much leaf spring in the back will certainly make the ride worse although my 98 rides pretty bad now and I still have to redo the leafs but I will have the graphite sliders installed, did it on a couple hotrods and it sure made a difference.
OK, dumb question... Do the over load springs curve upwards or downwards?
Old 09-28-2010, 06:09 AM   #5
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
Last question first: the overloads should curve down, opposite the rest of the pack.
As for settling, my AAL's maybe settled 1/2 an inch since I installed them, I've had them on for about 4-5 months now so I don't think they'll be changing much any more. Mine actually improved my ride, and no, my leaf springs weren't worn out. I had the frame replacement so my leaf springs are factory new, only about a year old now.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:59 AM   #7
Carpe Diem

Kuneff's Tacoma Gallery
Yep... Overload springs are on incorrectly...
Old 09-28-2010, 12:16 PM   #8
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
That's for sure what's making your ride rough. At least you had the balls to admit your mistake.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:55 PM   #9
Carpe Diem

Kuneff's Tacoma Gallery
Oh, I will admit I am the first to laugh at my stupidity... But these kinda lessons are the ones I never forget...

I got the Over Load spring flipped around tonight... My god the truck rides soooo much nicer now...