1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Truck, Many Questions

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by newskooler, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Sep 29, 2010 at 10:05 AM
    newskooler

newskooler [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Shasta, Ca
    Vehicle:
    1997 ext cab base, 2012 Base Access cab, 2018 trd OR
    Mall Crawler
    hey everybody,
    just picked up my 03 tacoma extra cab 3.4l SR5 and TRD? not really sure if it can be both?. anyways itcame with a 3in body(lame) and fabtech? front adjustable coilovers similar to the the billy 5100s and an AAL. thats my best guess.

this being my first toyota i have some probably rookie questions. i realize i will probably get slap on the wrists for not searching other posts, but i have searched the problem is i r dont read good:confused:. so just need some clarification on a few things

questions
    does the front end need spacers with the stock wheels? if so what size? 19mm?
    will 15x8 wheels fit on this the 03 models?
    best exhaust manifold?
    any other suggestions?

im sure theres more questions... just not sure what to ask. going to start with the diff breather mod!

2. Sep 29, 2010 at 10:12 AM
    clarkie152

clarkie152 Well-Known Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner Trail
    LED light swap, TRD wheels, KO2s, C4Fab lo-pro
    Hey nick, welcome to TW!

you should also do the deckplate mod, search for it. you wont regret it.

3. Sep 29, 2010 at 10:25 AM
    newskooler

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Shasta, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Mall Crawler
    unfortunately it came with a k&N intake. :mad: and the owner didnt keep the stock intake box

4. Sep 29, 2010 at 1:10 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    You should post in the buy/sell/trade forum for WTB stock airbox...so many modders here, bound to be one gathering dust somewhere. I know I saw one for sale in tha last year for the 3.4.

Yes, you can have an SR5 TRD. I do.

Take a pic of your front suspension and post it...someone here will be able to ID it for you.

For other ideas, check out this 1st gen mod/maint link...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1s...y-how-thread-compiled-list-helpful-links.html

And.....

Welcome to the site!

5. Sep 29, 2010 at 3:32 PM
    RattleTractor

RattleTractor Lube: It's the key to penetration.

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    '04 Unicorn Tacoma
    1KZ-TE Diesel, GFC, Pizza cutters, Dorkel
    Did I read it correctly that the truck has a 3in body lift? If yes...remove that shit ASAP!

Welcome to TW though. Like scocar said, take a picture or two of the suspension components installed and we would love to ID them and try to send you on the best route of what to do.

If the truck already has KN CAI, you don't need to swap it for stock box and deckplate mod. Most ppl would say don't waste the money on the CAI and just do deckplate instead (I agree), but since it's already on there you're fine.

Also- what do you want to do with the truck? More lift, no lift, tires? Iron on the front and rear?

6. Sep 29, 2010 at 6:21 PM
    newskooler

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Shasta, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Mall Crawler
    alright so upon further investigation and a good cleaning i can confirm that the lift is a fabtech basic 3.5" lift, not really sure if thats a decent lift or not but it seems to do the trick. anybody have an opinion on them?
    Do these lifts require wheel spacers? my stock wheels and 285s are super close to the UCA.
    speaking or UCA's is that a neccesary replacement on 3in lifts?

as for the body lift i totally agree with STLharry that shit is coming off ASAP! i do have the hardware for that.

my overall goal is to stay in the 33in tire range but definately want some armor, relentless looks like they might be the way to go since im about an hour away.
    any suggestions?

as for the CAI im going to just keep the K&N and swap the cone to a dry type filter.

any other mod suggestions besides these and the 1 gen mod list?

7. Sep 29, 2010 at 6:35 PM
    ScootsOFP

ScootsOFP Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scoot
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner SR5/TRD
    deckplate, white LED gauges, fog light mod (Beau02 write up), Scion t1814 head unit
    Is there some negative aspect to a body lift? Whats the problem with them? I have this exact same truck only in auto.

8. Sep 29, 2010 at 7:12 PM
    newskooler

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Shasta, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Mall Crawler
    IMO they have almost zero performance value, mostly for aesthetics. plus you get giant gaps inbetween your body and frame

9. Sep 29, 2010 at 8:55 PM
    RattleTractor

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    '04 Unicorn Tacoma
    I looked at the Fabtech lift and it doesn't seem bad. Haven't heard much about them though so not certain. With a 3.5" lift you should be able to fit 33s ok with a little rubbing. Spacers would probably correct that but are not necessary. What is the lift in the rear, if you have one?
    Also with over 2.5" of lift you should purchase a dif drop kit, brake proportioning plate, and extended rear brake like (maybe front too, but definitely rear). All three of those are available from toytec for the best prices I could find online. (Although you can make the brake plate out of a piece of metal with holes drilled for even cheaper.)

If you want armor, you'd be best shopping around yourself and asking others their opinions as well because everybody likes different things on their truck.
    I would personally recommend an ARB front bumper though (bull bar). I love mine and its been on both my Tacomas for a total of 18 months with no problems. Looks mean as hell, airbag compatible, I have extra lights/CB antenna/future hi lift will be mounted on it, and it gets ppl to move out of your way.

Well said, man. They also have the potential to break through the body and into the cab. IMO they are much more suited for mall crawlers/people who don't actually "use" the truck.

10. Sep 29, 2010 at 9:57 PM
    newskooler

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Shasta, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Mall Crawler
    adding the extension and bracket to my list, kinda read some mixed reviews on the diff drop bracket. but mostly on 2nd gens so ill keep looking into that

11. Sep 30, 2010 at 10:00 AM
    RattleTractor

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    '04 Unicorn Tacoma
    Only read the mixed reviews on the 2nd gen kits...

Haven't heard anything bad on 1st gens

Products Discussed in

To Top