Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Advice on Shock Absorbers

Old 09-29-2010, 09:24 PM   #1
jjsask is on a distinguished road
Name: John
jjsask's Tacoma Gallery
Advice on Shock Absorbers

I just bought a 2002 XtraCab 4x4 TRD. The truck has the original toyota/bilstien shocks on it and I am fairly sure they are shot. The truck bashes over rough roads with a bone shaker ride and when you rock the truck up and down there is quite a lot of movement.

The local dealer quoted me $60 each for the rear and $140 each for the front toyota/bilstien shocks. I am looking for a relatively smooth ride but still capable off road and the truck is at stock height and will not be lifted at all.

Should I go with the OEM shocks for about $400, or can I do better with another option? Also, how difficult is it to replace the front shocks, I know I will need to borrow a spring compressor from somewhere but I would like to know if it is a big job aside from dealing with the springs.

Thanks,
John Jesse
Old 09-29-2010, 09:31 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW! Check out the Bilstien 5100's. Much better shock than OEM.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:25 AM   #3
jjsask's Tacoma Gallery
I took a look at the 5100's it looks like I can get those shocks for $99 each for the rears and $115 each for the fronts. I wonder why the fronts are cheaper than OEM seeing as they have the ride height adjustment and the OEMs don't.

There is also the heavy duty series available for $88 each for the rears and $75 each for the fronts.

The pricing does not appear to make any sense between the different options, but oh well. Can somebody comment on specific differences between the three shock options I have listed, as stated earlier I am looking for a rice ride over rough roads but something still somewhat capable off road, I wont be doing anything too intense. Also, does anybody know how hard it is to change the front shocks?

Thanks,
John
Old 09-30-2010, 09:02 AM   #4
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsask View Post
I took a look at the 5100's it looks like I can get those shocks for $99 each for the rears and $115 each for the fronts. I wonder why the fronts are cheaper than OEM seeing as they have the ride height adjustment and the OEMs don't.

There is also the heavy duty series available for $88 each for the rears and $75 each for the fronts.

The pricing does not appear to make any sense between the different options, but oh well. Can somebody comment on specific differences between the three shock options I have listed, as stated earlier I am looking for a rice ride over rough roads but something still somewhat capable off road, I wont be doing anything too intense. Also, does anybody know how hard it is to change the front shocks?

Thanks,
John
The dealer is always gonna be much more expensive than aftermarket parts. DownSouth motor sports sells all 4 (front and rear) for about $300.00. Check them out. They are a vendor on here.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:35 AM   #5
trdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

trdracing5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The local dealer quoted me $60 each for the rear and $140 each for the front toyota/bilstien shocks.
Unless that price includes installation you can do A LOT better. You can get a SET of the Bilstein 5100's for the front from Wheelers Off Road (http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/9504tacoadjbils.htm) or Down South Motorsports (http://downsouthmotorsports.com) for around $175-185. There is a discount code for the down south motorsports purchases. The 5100's are MUCH better than the factory Bilsteins.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:26 AM   #6
as in Gobias some coffee
gobias will become famous soon enoughgobias will become famous soon enough

Name: Matt
gobias's Tacoma Gallery
5100s are pretty much exactly the same as the HD except they are adjustable. All depends on whether you want to level/lift the front end or not.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:16 PM   #7
jjsask's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the advice. I will probably get the Bilstein HD shocks as I have no interest in lifting the truck and they are cheaper. The prices I have ($196 for the rear set and $150 for the fronts) are from Essex Distributors who are the Bilstein Reps in Canada. Unless I can get them a LOT cheaper in the USA, the websites one poster gave only had the 5100s, I would rather order them domestically. US brokerage charges are a huge pain. Does anyone know of any local dealers in Saskatchewan?
Old 09-30-2010, 12:24 PM   #8

The 4600's are more of an OE replacement shock, while the 5100's are an upgrade. They are valved better for off road, and a little larger in diameter.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:31 PM   #9
"thats what she said"
01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future

Name: joe
01taquito's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
The 4600's are more of an OE replacement shock, while the 5100's are an upgrade. They are valved better for off road, and a little larger in diameter.
5100"s x one million
Old 09-30-2010, 03:37 PM   #10
chrisx1 is on a distinguished road
chrisx1's Tacoma Gallery
order the 5100's from Downsouth, and have a local tire shop put them on. Total out of pocket should be less than $400
Old 09-30-2010, 03:58 PM   #11
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
On my '05 the 5100s I added in back were great... under $80 each... in 2007. Only the front 5100's are adjustable.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:08 PM   #12
Benji G. is on a distinguished road
Army: 1976-1982 Crane Oper. 527th Combat Eng.Bat.
Name: Benji
Benji G.'s Tacoma Gallery
i went with monroe sinse-trac "smoth ride" off road has a stiffer ride!

i'am satisfied with them!!
Quote:
I just bought a 2002 XtraCab 4x4 TRD. The truck has the original toyota/bilstien shocks on it and I am fairly sure they are shot. The truck bashes over rough roads with a bone shaker ride and when you rock the truck up and down there is quite a lot of movement.

The local dealer quoted me $60 each for the rear and $140 each for the front toyota/bilstien shocks. I am looking for a relatively smooth ride but still capable off road and the truck is at stock height and will not be lifted at all.

Should I go with the OEM shocks for about $400, or can I do better with another option? Also, how difficult is it to replace the front shocks, I know I will need to borrow a spring compressor from somewhere but I would like to know if it is a big job aside from dealing with the springs.

Thanks,
John Jesse