Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

5100's Install and AAL Install?

Old 09-30-2010, 02:17 PM   #1
xcmiler707 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
xcmiler707's Tacoma Gallery
5100's Install and AAL Install?

After searching the site for any insight on the how to of installing 5100's and AAL's on a first gen, I have only found threads on this for 2nd gen's. Any input would be awesome.

Also, is this something that can be done be someone that is a little mechanically inclined or better off done by a shop. I know about Mod Days but already missed out on the most recent one.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:31 PM   #2
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
i installed mine with my dad in my driveway a few months ago.... took about 8 hours to do with a lot of cursing because of all the rust that had formed on pretty much everything i needed to work on!

that said, i would totally do it again (i'm a cheap-ass who won't pay shop labor rates!). it really isn't that hard of a process, just the fact of all the rust complicated things for my install.

anything in particular you have questions about?
Old 09-30-2010, 03:19 PM   #3
chrisx1 is on a distinguished road
chrisx1's Tacoma Gallery
I just had Billys installed on all four corners today.

I took it to the local tire shop and they charged me $45 to put them on. Granted, I live in BFE, and labor rates are probably cheap, but I would think you could get them installed for under $80 anywhere in the country.

Maybe I'm wrong.

By the way, my truck leveled out nicely, I don't think I will be putting the AAL on.

Chris
Old 09-30-2010, 03:24 PM   #4
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
If you haven't done it before and you aren't very confident in your abilities you should get the fronts done, but if you follow the 2nd gen instructions for the rear AAL's it's close to the same as our 1st gens. You might even save yourself some labor costs if you take the front's off and take them in to get the shocks changed. I installed AAL's myself and it took me, on my own with no help, probably about 5 hours total. That was working pretty slow because it was pretty damn hot out. Just do one side at a time, that way if you forget how things go together you can look at the other side.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:28 PM   #5
"thats what she said"
01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future

Name: joe
01taquito's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...html?highlight=
there are pics and info here. look at post #25 for tips i thought were inportant to know if doing this mod. for the finished product take look at my gallery
Old 02-21-2011, 05:55 PM   #6
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
I will be installing 5100's on all four corners and an AAL in the rear. It seems that my best option is to have the front installed by a shop and install the AAL myself? How hard are the rear 5100's to install?
Old 02-21-2011, 09:37 PM   #7
"thats what she said"
01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future

Name: joe
01taquito's Tacoma Gallery
the rear is not bad. i did mine without any help. a good jack is a must but i think using c-clamps to keep the leaf pack together is probably the biggest time saver. also check your e-brake cable. i have heard some guys need to extend the bracket but i didnt need to. i hope that helps