Notices

First time poster, got a few questions.

Old 10-02-2010, 04:28 PM   #1
Caltanian
Umrunner is on a distinguished road

Umrunner's Tacoma Gallery
First time poster, got a few questions.

Hello all.
I currently have a 1997 4runner, cresting 223k, still doing ok, but have been looking for a truck for a while now. I know what im looking for (gen 1, 5 speed, trd package, well cared for), and seem to have found that at a local lot.
a 2004 white, 5 speed, trd package, magnaflow muffler, 130k, spotless one owner vehicle. Will need new tires, but thats it. They are asking 15.8k.
I have come to find that this is a bit steep it would seem, and coming here to ask what should i be looking for, and what would be a reasonable price.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:31 PM   #2
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
check the frame and try and talk em down some
Old 10-02-2010, 04:32 PM   #3
Caltanian

already crawled under the truck. The frame is spotless, the underside is spotless. It came out of california.
What would be a reasonable price to go for?
Old 10-02-2010, 04:38 PM   #4
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
damn your lucky man i really couldnt tell you how much to offer but if the frames spotless id say that truck will last another 2-300k if everything else is in order.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:44 PM   #6
Caltanian

Yea. I am lucky. I knew to look for the frame and body right away. I have a great relation with my local tire shop, so i will likely throw some bfg at tires. I figure i may offer 14k...
Old 10-02-2010, 08:30 PM   #7
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umrunner View Post
Yea. I am lucky. I knew to look for the frame and body right away. I have a great relation with my local tire shop, so i will likely throw some bfg at tires. I figure i may offer 14k...
Man, that is a great find. In my opinion, well worth what they are asking for it.

However, it is just principle to not pay the asking price. Mileage is on the high side, about 25K high. We know it doesn't matter in the long run but for a bargining chip, there is one. Accourding to edmonds.com, that 25K knocks off about $1500. Their "dealer retail" price is $15,150 which includes an additional $1000 for outstanding condition.

If it was me I would start negotiating at 14K and see how it goes. I would consider paying $15K for that truck.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:27 PM   #8
RideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jesse
RideFast's Tacoma Gallery
Ill sell you mine for that much and I only have 38k miles! and thats a real offer!!!
Buy from an individual not a stealership! cut out the middle man!
I paid 14,800 for my 02 with 28k miles,

Just wait you will find exactly what you want!
Old 10-02-2010, 10:16 PM   #10
Caltanian

Yea. I was thinking of starting at about 14k, but know I will end up above that. I also get to factor in a trade, my runner is in good shape, just wanting something new, and at 130k on the clock, the tacoma is in great shape. Lived its life in the California foothills from what I can gather. I'm excited at the prospect. First thing would be a deckplate (did it on my runner) and grey wire.
Glad to have heard opinions. Thanks all.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:59 PM   #11
Caltanian

went back by the lot to check it out again (nice when its closed, you can poke around more easily). Looked up and down the rails, not an ounce of rust. Not a sign of use either on any of the underside. looks amazing.
Discovered that it has a magnaflow tip, and a flowmaster muffler. How can i identify what it is, and how is the drone of a flowmaster on the highway. I road trip fairly often.
how is the gear noise on them. I know there is some whine in my 4runner?
anything else I need to look for?
Thinking of pulling out the plastic bedliner, getting it lined, and putting a topper on it. What topper would people recommend?
Old 10-03-2010, 09:06 PM   #12
RideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jesse
RideFast's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like the truck is in great shape but now its time to look at the shocks, leafs, tires, brakes, when was the timing belt replaced? (there should be a sticker on the cover) the clutch (make sure it hasent been adjusted to its limit).

Check everything that is in the service manual!
good luck and start at 11kthe dealer only has about 9k in it!!! Make your offer and walk, they will take it!
Old 10-04-2010, 01:48 AM   #13
as in Gobias some coffee
gobias will become famous soon enoughgobias will become famous soon enough

Name: Matt
gobias's Tacoma Gallery
I paid $15k for my '03 with 28k mi. Another spotless truck out of California. I'd talk them down.
As far as a truck shell goes, I have a Leer and love it. A.R.E. makes great products as well. Not a fan of Snugtop but mainly just because of the absurdly high prices they charge.

Also, Line-x > Rhinoliner.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:06 PM   #14
SUPER-ER MOD
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Another Montanan? Drop by and say hello to the rest of the locals here.

General rule of Tacoma shopping in Montana - if you find one that is well cared for do not question price just buy the darn thing before someone else does!