Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

stock rim fitment question between generations

Old 10-06-2010, 07:53 AM   #1
NetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NetMonkey's Tacoma Gallery
stock rim fitment question between generations

will a 6-lug 16x7 rim from a 2nd gen 4x4 fit a 6-lug hub on a 1st gen 4x4? specifically, from a 2010 to a 1995?
any backspace issues?

thanks
Old 10-06-2010, 08:11 AM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetMonkey View Post
will a 6-lug 16x7 rim from a 2nd gen 4x4 fit a 6-lug hub on a 1st gen 4x4? specifically, from a 2010 to a 1995?
any backspace issues?

thanks
fits perfect. Lots of guys on here are running 2nd gen wheels on their first gens. (Im looking to do the same some day).
Old 10-06-2010, 08:13 AM   #3
NetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NetMonkey's Tacoma Gallery
sweet... thanks.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:22 AM   #4
AKtoyTaco has a spectacular aura aboutAKtoyTaco has a spectacular aura aboutAKtoyTaco has a spectacular aura about
Name: Adam
AKtoyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetMonkey View Post
any backspace issues?

thanks
Have you installed the wheels yet? I'm looking to do the same thing. I just picked up a 2011 and I want to put the stock OR rims on my girl's 2004. I've heard that they fit, but I'm looking to reassure myself before I start the project. Any input would be appreciated!

thanks
Old 11-04-2010, 01:53 PM   #6
03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all

03coma's Tacoma Gallery
I have the TRD FJ rims on my 1st gen Taco. The rim sticks out less than 1/4" than the oem rim.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:49 PM   #7
AKtoyTaco has a spectacular aura aboutAKtoyTaco has a spectacular aura aboutAKtoyTaco has a spectacular aura about
Name: Adam
AKtoyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiratus View Post
2nd gen wheels fitted to a 1st gen will mount up. The bolt pattern is the same. The main difference between them will be the offset. 1st gen wheels have 15 mm of offset where 2nd gens have 30 mm. The result is the 2nd gen wheels are tucked in a little more that half an inch compared to the 1st gen wheels.

Would you recommend running spacers w/ this setup to correct for the slight difference? Or is it so minor that it won't be an issue?

Both trucks come stock w/ a 265/70/16 tire and I plan on bumping it up to a 265/75/16 which is not a ton bigger... but it is about an inch. If I'm moving up a bit in tire size, and am tucking the wheel in closer to the inside of the truck, should I expect problems?

I appreciate your input. I want to do it once and do it right.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:44 PM   #8
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
I am running 16" TRD 2nd generation rims on my 2003 Tacoma. Absolutely no figment issues whatsoever. I would not recommend even bothering with spacers unless you want to run a wider tire size. Otherwise you don't need any.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:31 PM   #9
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKtoyTaco View Post
Would you recommend running spacers w/ this setup to correct for the slight difference? Or is it so minor that it won't be an issue?

Both trucks come stock w/ a 265/70/16 tire and I plan on bumping it up to a 265/75/16 which is not a ton bigger... but it is about an inch. If I'm moving up a bit in tire size, and am tucking the wheel in closer to the inside of the truck, should I expect problems?

I appreciate your input. I want to do it once and do it right.
I have a set of 17x7.5 2nd gen sport wheels that I had considered using for a set of winter tires. The problem is, I've gotten to where I no longer like the look when the tires don't stick out a little, which they wont with these wheels. I know that many folks on here are running spacers to overcome this problem but I personally believe that is a bad idea and will not run them.

I do not think you will have any rubbing issues with 265/75-16s. Though you'll likely be very close to the UCA. I do not know if running a narrower track (30mm offset) has any impact on handling or not. Seems like it would but I have no evidence.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:57 AM   #10
mikracer is just really nicemikracer is just really nicemikracer is just really nicemikracer is just really nicemikracer is just really nice
mikracer's Tacoma Gallery
I just put the 17" Sport wheels on my '02 4x4 with 265/70/17s and I get rubbing at full lock on both sides. I'm going to do some searching to see what size spacers people have put on.

I put some spacers on my M3 and as long as you get a quality made spacer, you shouldnt have vibration issues.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:19 AM   #11
fireball05 is on a distinguished road
Name: Ben
fireball05's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone know if the 16" wheels from the 4R will fit on the 1st gen Tacos? What is the tire size difference b/w 31x10.5x15 and 265/75/16? I think they are pretty similar, no?

Thanks!
Old 11-12-2010, 10:17 AM   #12
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireball05 View Post
Does anyone know if the 16" wheels from the 4R will fit on the 1st gen Tacos? What is the tire size difference b/w 31x10.5x15 and 265/75/16? I think they are pretty similar, no?

Thanks!
All the toyota wheels with the same bolt pattern will mount on your 1st gen, this includes 4Runner wheels.

The 265/75-16 is basically a 32" tall tire. The 16" metric size closest to a 31x10.5-15 is 265/70-16.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:46 PM   #13
fireball05 is on a distinguished road
Name: Ben
fireball05's Tacoma Gallery
Cool, thanks for the info. (P.S. where can I find pics of your seat covers?)