1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bed Tie downs/Cleats? 2001 Tacoma 4x4

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by tacomarustingaway, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Oct 7, 2010 at 4:51 PM
    tacomarustingaway

tacomarustingaway [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm looking to install some bed tie downs or cleats for my 2001 Tacoma 4x4 regular cab. It has a factory bed liner. Any hardware or installation instructions/options appreciated. I'm mounting a Rokon Trailbreaker dirt bike and I'm told to mount it to the bed floor as I have to leave the tailgate open. Need a 45 D angle according to load info from manufacurer. Thanks.

2. Oct 7, 2010 at 11:17 PM
    buzzboy

buzzboy Member

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    2001 Creampuff
    2 into 1 lighter adapter!
    Couple of things to consider. If I'm understanding you correctly, you just need to tie down a dirt bike. Looks like the Rokon is similar to a Japanese dirt bike, but with wider wheels. I've tied bikes in the several tacomas/pu's over the years with simple motorcycle tie downs using the factory hooks. The hooks are plenty strong, and in my opinion a better design than most brands. At times, I've loaded 3 bikes in one Tacoma, really no need to mount tie down hooks to the bed (unless I'm not understanding a special need for your bike/application).

I have an '01 and leave the tailgate down, unless I angle the bike diagonally in order to close it, so I'm not sure why you were told you needed bed mounted hooks? My advise is to get "motorcycle tie downs" in which the strap goes over the bars and is secured by the hook. This way no metal pieces or hooks contact your bars/bike. Then, where the front wheel of your bike contacts the bed, I reinforce it with a piece of 90 degree metal as your bed will flex into the cab when you compress the suspension of the forks. I bought it at Home Depot for 8 bucks and it runs the width along the rail of your bed behind the cab, strengthens the bed from flexing and keeps it from rubbing the paint off the cab. Just tie it down good and you shouldn't have an issue!..

Hope I read you correctly and this helps you out? Good luck!

3. Oct 8, 2010 at 5:13 AM
    Space Wrangler

Space Wrangler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JCT
    Ga
    Vehicle:
    04 DC 4x4
    04 Tacoma 4x4 Double Cab SAW 2.0's Alcan's Ion 171 wheels 15x8 (-27mm bs) 32" BFG AT's
  4. Oct 8, 2010 at 6:43 AM
    stucksucksnayota

stucksucksnayota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    14 Taco 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    OEM roof rack, Shorty antenna (eBay), soft tonneau cover, K&N drop in air filter, bed mat, interior LED lights, 5100's, MT tires to come soon!!!
    Ya I would just use the factory tie down hooks! I have never hauled a dirt bike but I have hauled lots of 4 wheelers and I just use the factory tie downs and they work fine.

And if you do decide to put some D hooks in your bed I would check and make sure where ever you mount them that they will not pull out!

Products Discussed in

To Top