Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bed Tie downs/Cleats? 2001 Tacoma 4x4

Old 10-07-2010, 05:51 PM   #1
tacomarustingaway is on a distinguished road
tacomarustingaway's Tacoma Gallery
Bed Tie downs/Cleats? 2001 Tacoma 4x4

I'm looking to install some bed tie downs or cleats for my 2001 Tacoma 4x4 regular cab. It has a factory bed liner. Any hardware or installation instructions/options appreciated. I'm mounting a Rokon Trailbreaker dirt bike and I'm told to mount it to the bed floor as I have to leave the tailgate open. Need a 45 D angle according to load info from manufacurer. Thanks.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:17 AM   #2
buzzboy is on a distinguished road
buzzboy's Tacoma Gallery
Couple of things to consider. If I'm understanding you correctly, you just need to tie down a dirt bike. Looks like the Rokon is similar to a Japanese dirt bike, but with wider wheels. I've tied bikes in the several tacomas/pu's over the years with simple motorcycle tie downs using the factory hooks. The hooks are plenty strong, and in my opinion a better design than most brands. At times, I've loaded 3 bikes in one Tacoma, really no need to mount tie down hooks to the bed (unless I'm not understanding a special need for your bike/application).

I have an '01 and leave the tailgate down, unless I angle the bike diagonally in order to close it, so I'm not sure why you were told you needed bed mounted hooks? My advise is to get "motorcycle tie downs" in which the strap goes over the bars and is secured by the hook. This way no metal pieces or hooks contact your bars/bike. Then, where the front wheel of your bike contacts the bed, I reinforce it with a piece of 90 degree metal as your bed will flex into the cab when you compress the suspension of the forks. I bought it at Home Depot for 8 bucks and it runs the width along the rail of your bed behind the cab, strengthens the bed from flexing and keeps it from rubbing the paint off the cab. Just tie it down good and you shouldn't have an issue!..

Hope I read you correctly and this helps you out? Good luck!
Old 10-08-2010, 06:13 AM   #3
Space Wrangler is on a distinguished road

Name: JCT
Space Wrangler's Tacoma Gallery
i mounted these on the inside of the bed side rails and in the channel of the bed floor. ..but they won't work if you have that plastic bed liner unless you want to cut it up a bit.

http://www.cargogear.com/OneItemInfo...tnum=COTRACK3B
Old 10-08-2010, 07:43 AM   #4
stucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nice

Name: Barry
stucksucksnayota's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to stucksucksnayota
Ya I would just use the factory tie down hooks! I have never hauled a dirt bike but I have hauled lots of 4 wheelers and I just use the factory tie downs and they work fine.

And if you do decide to put some D hooks in your bed I would check and make sure where ever you mount them that they will not pull out!