1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone install aftermarket gauges?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by AlexXx, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Oct 10, 2010 at 6:34 PM
    AlexXx

AlexXx [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    99 taco
    All-Pro 3" Rear kit, Camburg Coilovers, 1" RB BL, 285/75/16's, and rear Lock Right locker Collecting 4wd parts to convert.
    I've been searching customtacos and google for installs of mainly the Fuel Gauge. Mines way off since the 33's. I want to get a digital one. I am wiring illiterate. I have the diagrams though, but just don't know whats involved.

Any help would be great! Thanks!

2. Oct 11, 2010 at 7:23 PM
    WASTE MANAGEMENT

WASTE MANAGEMENT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Umatilla Florida
    Vehicle:
    97 tacoma 4x4 3.4 w/5 speed
    new 31x10.5 tires, mag wheels, drilled rotors, new sound, and a cb.
    Why did the tire size change the fuel gauge?

3. Oct 11, 2010 at 8:10 PM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    It goes down way too fast now :)

4. Oct 11, 2010 at 10:23 PM
    AlexXx

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    99 taco
    All-Pro 3" Rear kit, Camburg Coilovers, 1" RB BL, 285/75/16's, and rear Lock Right locker Collecting 4wd parts to convert.
    Exactly. Speedo is off as well. On E the odometer says 270, I can go 320-340 easily. Yes real men go by the odometer :D, but I am working on a custom dash in the future and this is my test one.

5. Nov 16, 2010 at 6:50 PM
    AlexXx

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    99 taco
    Back to life with this thread. Still searching of a write-up on this. I am no wiring guru here and not much time to take my dash apart to investigate the wiring.

Anyone? Write-ups?

6. Nov 16, 2010 at 7:14 PM
    AlexXx

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    99 taco
  7. Nov 16, 2010 at 7:25 PM
    blackwidow2009

blackwidow2009 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cleveland
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4X4 TRD w/ SR5
    2.5" front lift Daystar coilover spacer. 2.5" rear lift add-a-leaf N-Fab wheel to wheel nerf/step bar Polished Stainless Leer cap from my 2000 Tacoma --- It does fit; don't let them lie to you

LOL...dude, your gas guage works fine and no differently then befor the bigger tires. Your odomiter is calculating milage incorectly though...your odomiter calculats milage from your transmittion not your wheels; so when you adjust your wheel size your odomiter will be off. Just get your self (barrow a friends or something) a GPS unit like a Garmin. They will tell you what speed your driving exactly, and they tally your miles drive. Then if you what you can figure out your miles per gallon.

But man, your gas guage is not connected to your wheels! LOL

8. Nov 16, 2010 at 8:08 PM
    tacomaforlife

tacomaforlife Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robbie
    AIKEN, SC
    Vehicle:
    Its a Toyota what more is there to say.....
    TRD S/C 3" sky jacker suspension lift,33" kumho road venture mt kl71's 16" 320c pacer wheels,billet grill,EBC slotted and dimpled rotors,super 44 muffler with gutted cat,smoked l.e.d. tail lights, deck plate mod with K&N filter,fog/blinker mod,cobra cb with 4' firestick antenna/100W PA,clear corners with l.e.d bulbs,55w back up lights,urd O2 sim., blue l.e.d bulbs behind gauge cluster.
    yea ive got 33's and mines only of by a few mph no big deal

9. Nov 16, 2010 at 8:18 PM
    AlexXx

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    99 taco
    Have i ever said that my gauge was conneceted to my wheels? I only said that I am getting a scan gauge because it has any functions that can and will eliminate problems.

I know how it works, But it just happen after I put on the tires. It drops fast, now it got faster. I hit E when I only gone 240 miles. I can go til 340 fill up and still put in 17 gallons. I know my mpgs...18-19 mpgs. My speedo isn't messed up to bad only off about -2, I know that because had my Tomtom handy. Tach is off and my temp gauge is stuck at the top, way above the red line. How does the odometer read differently? Mine reads fine, I've been driving 48.? miles to school for three years that has changed on the Odometer. I haven't gone over 48.? miles to school or back home for three years. And that's having 31's 32's and 33's on my truck.

10. Nov 17, 2010 at 7:18 PM
    blackwidow2009

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cleveland
    Vehicle:
    2.5" front lift Daystar coilover spacer. 2.5" rear lift add-a-leaf N-Fab wheel to wheel nerf/step bar Polished Stainless Leer cap from my 2000 Tacoma --- It does fit; don't let them lie to you

LOL...Dude, you did say your gas guage is conected to your wheels; look at the very first post, I'll even quote it for you...

You said, "I've been searching customtacos and google for installs of mainly the Fuel Gauge. Mines way off since the 33's. I want to get a digital one. I am wiring illiterate. I have the diagrams though, but just don't know whats involved. "

Dude, you implyed that your gas guage if off because of larger wheels.

Sorry for being an asshole, (and believe me, I KNOW I am being an asshole), I'm just sick and tired of the stupid dumb ass people and questions. Seriously, how in the hell do these idots get dressed in the morning. One dumb ass in his early 20's actually asked if it was ok to mix 2 different octains in his Tacoma. If you so stupid not to know that, you SHOULD NOT BE DRIVING!!!

As for the rest of your reply to me...it is filled with contrdictions and ambiguity. Not to mention a bunch of bullshit, that or you just are not observent!!!

1) " I hit E when I only gone 240 miles. I can go til 340 fill up and still put in 17 gallons." If oyur are on E at 240 miles, how in the hell can you go 340??? Also, it's a 21 gallon tank!!! If your on E your putting in more like 19.5 to 20 gallons. Did your "fuel light" go on??? If not your not on E !!!

2) " My speedo isn't messed up to bad only off about -2, I know that because had my Tomtom handy." Good for you!

3) " Tach is off and my temp gauge is stuck at the top, way above the red line." Still not related to larger tires, but what's the point of mentioning this??? This is not related to the gas guage either! Stay focused...stick to the topic and don't driff, confuses people, especially when you don't bother to explain "why' you mention these problems.

4) " How does the odometer read differently? Mine reads fine." REALLY?????? Look up and re-read #2... you had a TOMTOM handy. Hey dumbass, your odomiter and speedo both come off your transmittion!!! If one is off, both are off...DUH Not to mention, if you actually bothered to pay attention to the TOMTOM you would notice that your odomiter reads LESS miles driven then you actually do drive because of the larger tires.

5) " Mine reads fine, I've been driving 48.? miles to school for three years that has changed on the Odometer. I haven't gone over 48.? miles to school or back home for three years. And that's having 31's 32's and 33's on my truck." Your an idiot for thinking you can bullshit people on a forum. What, absolutly no-one on this site has ever put larger tires on their truck??? Hey dumbass, larger tires WILL give you a inacurate odomiter reading, it will read less then actuall miles driven. You driven that sme route on 31's, 32's and 33's with no change in your odomiter??? BULLSHIT!!! either your a lier, or an un-observant idiot!!!

Again, I know I'm being an asshole, but I can't let this stupity go any more without being pointed out. This is the problem with America, people are too scared to offend someone, and thus. stupidity and incompitance is allowed to continue.

11. Nov 17, 2010 at 8:35 PM

747 function > form

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen.
    blackwidow, point taken. Now chill the F, and have a brew dude! *sheesh*

[EDIT: BTW, it's "incompetence"...great post man...not really though.

12. Nov 18, 2010 at 3:36 PM
    blackwidow2009

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cleveland
    Vehicle:

LOL...spelling was never my strong point and there is'nt a spell checker built into this. Also, typing on a little 9 inch lap top whith it on my chest while I'm laying down does'nt help either...lol

I just needed to vent, tired of silly stupidness. I don't have a problem with someone asking a serious question because they really don't know. But when someone does'nt even bother to first think the problem threw, I mean logically think about what it going on and possible causes, that's when it starts to get irritating. I love this site, there are alot of people who know way more then me. I really would love for it to be a serious site for real questions and real help. There just have been so many posts from people with silly questions, as if they really did not know the first thing about a vehicle. Drives me nuts. People really need to start and think. It's called "problem solving". Look at the situation and think about it logically and then come up with realistic solutions.

13. Nov 18, 2010 at 4:37 PM
    707tothe907

707tothe907 Superior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Chico NorCal
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB Off Road
  14. Nov 18, 2010 at 5:57 PM
    tacomaforlife

tacomaforlife Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robbie
    AIKEN, SC
    Vehicle:
    Its a Toyota what more is there to say.....
    TRD S/C 3" sky jacker suspension lift,33" kumho road venture mt kl71's 16" 320c pacer wheels,billet grill,EBC slotted and dimpled rotors,super 44 muffler with gutted cat,smoked l.e.d. tail lights, deck plate mod with K&N filter,fog/blinker mod,cobra cb with 4' firestick antenna/100W PA,clear corners with l.e.d bulbs,55w back up lights,urd O2 sim., blue l.e.d bulbs behind gauge cluster.
    imo i think that if your so concerned about your speedo and gas gauge and think installing new gauges will fix everything then your better off putting your truck back to stock:rolleyes: don't do something if you dont like the outcome and are aware of what will happen.

15. Nov 18, 2010 at 7:25 PM
    blackwidow2009

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cleveland
    Vehicle:

X2

16. Dec 8, 2010 at 5:09 PM
    TacoBlitz

TacoBlitz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    01 DoubleCab SR5 TRD, white
    Topper, Yakima Racks, Yakima Loadwarrior roof basket (lights all around) 20% window tint (all 4 doors), Spectre ProFab Air Intake System, Black grille, Rino Lined rocker panels, rear bumper and flares Suspension: New OME 881 coils and OME 5 leaf rear springs, Blilstein shocks and struts, Daystar Greasable lift shackels Extended rear brake line
    blackwidow.... I want you to realize that the person asking the question has a first gen tacoma, you have a second gen. there are slight differences, for example: 1st gens only have a 18.5 gallon tank.

17. Dec 8, 2010 at 5:46 PM
    TacoBlitz

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    Topper, Yakima Racks, Yakima Loadwarrior roof basket (lights all around) 20% window tint (all 4 doors), Spectre ProFab Air Intake System, Black grille, Rino Lined rocker panels, rear bumper and flares Suspension: New OME 881 coils and OME 5 leaf rear springs, Blilstein shocks and struts, Daystar Greasable lift shackels Extended rear brake line
    Does anyone know why the ultra gauge and the scan gauge II will not read the oil pressure? I would really like to have actual gauges in my tacoma with numbers on them and whatnot, instead of just having a bunch of idiot lights.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this or maybe some suggestions on what aftermarket gauges to get?

Thanks

18. Dec 8, 2010 at 9:21 PM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.
    The OBDII-connected multi-gauges can only display what they get from the ECM. On a first gen Taco they can't display oil pressure because (a) there's no OEM oil pressure sensor and (b) the ECM therefore doesn't 'read' oil pressure at all.

The factory oil pressure warning lamp is triggered by a simple sender switch. It's not a true pressure sensor (varying across a range of values). Instead, it basically registers only two values: 'OK' and 'Low'.

To get a variable oil pressure reading you'll need an aftermarket oil pressure gauge and sensor, plus whatever adapter(s) are necessary to fit up the sensor on your engine.

19. Dec 8, 2010 at 10:58 PM
    zero4

zero4 Metal Cutter

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    SFV, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' DCab 3.4L TRD
    Donahoe CO, Donahoe Rear Resi, Deaver J59, 16" Pro Comp, 33" BFG AT, Hayden Trans Oil Cooler, Oil Filter Relocator, FM 40, ES Bushings, Beefed CB Drop, Deckplate, K&N Drop-In, DO Bed Bar, Cobra 75 WXST, Firestik Firefly, Philips D1R, Clarion Remote Start, Husky Liners
    Changing your guages (speedometer/odometer) won't make the changes you are looking for. The aftermarket guage will still be wired up to what you stock guage is wired to.

If you really want to fix it, regear, but even then it won't be as accurate as it was as stock.

I've got 33's & I'm happy if I get 240 miles.

20. Dec 8, 2010 at 11:42 PM
    TacoBlitz

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the help, that was very informative. That sucks that they don't read oil pressure stock, I feel that knowing the oil pressure is very important, or at least knowing that the computer is monitoring it. especially when driving an older engine with a lot of miles.

Products Discussed in

To Top