Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

help on removing "toyota" off from the truck bed

Old 10-12-2010, 10:15 AM   #1
ilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant future

ilove_taco_ma's Tacoma Gallery
help on removing "toyota" off from the truck bed

i wanted to remove the decal off from the truck bed. the letters are peeling off around the edges and its not looking so good. what can/should i use to remove it? here's a picture to show you guys:

Old 10-12-2010, 10:23 AM   #2
topgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
topgun155's Tacoma Gallery
I vote for blow torch. But seriously get some goo off and try to work it off.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:26 AM   #3
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Those are just decals, not badges right?

If they are just decals they make a "decal eraser" attachment for a drill. It's what I used.

Buff'em right off, then use a little Goo Gone to wipe off any remaining adhesive
Old 10-12-2010, 10:31 AM   #4
ilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant future

can you explain about blow torch? sorry such a noob here.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:33 AM   #5
4wd tacoma
trd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
trd7's Tacoma Gallery
I say goo gone and finger nail!
Old 10-12-2010, 10:35 AM   #6

yeah they are just decals, will go ahead give em a try. thanks.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:39 AM   #7
CRAZY 4WHEELER
desertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
desertdude59's Tacoma Gallery
I'ved used a heat gun before with a razor blade. Just be careful not to chip the paint.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:54 PM   #8
vantaco is just really nicevantaco is just really nicevantaco is just really nicevantaco is just really nice
vantaco's Tacoma Gallery
blow torch was a joke

i wouldn't use razor blades either

heat gun and just patience removing the decal

use good gone to remove the adhesive but don't use to much as it might start taking paint away too
Old 10-12-2010, 02:13 PM   #9
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Seriously. Invest in the $10 decal eraser and you won't have any problems whatsoever.

And Goo Gone is completely safe for your paint.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:47 PM   #10
phidauex is a glorious beacon of lightphidauex is a glorious beacon of lightphidauex is a glorious beacon of lightphidauex is a glorious beacon of lightphidauex is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Sam
phidauex's Tacoma Gallery
I took mine off recently, they looked like yours did.

I used a heat gun to gently heat the decals (go easy at first, you can damage the paint if you hit it too hard with the heat gun), then a plastic putty scraper to gently peel up the edges and pull off by hand. Used a little WD40 (goo gone would work, too) to remove the residual adhesive.

Wash and wax after using the adhesive remover - it will remove the wax there and leave the paint vulnerable to oxidation and whatnot (if you care about that sort of thing).

-Sam
Old 10-12-2010, 03:52 PM   #11
Resident MMA Fanatic
SlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SlimDigg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
Seriously. Invest in the $10 decal eraser and you won't have any problems whatsoever.

And Goo Gone is completely safe for your paint.
With my experience peeling decals off of at least 40 Semi truck and trailers, we used heat guns and fingernails. Once the vinyl decals were peeled off, we used a few different things over the years. Some industrial orange adhesive remover, then onto 3m spray adhesive remover then the finally for the latest peel, gasoline and blue shop towel. I'd imagine goo gone would work well too.

We did get out an eraser drill for decals that had been baked in the sun for years on the top of the trucks, and it did leave marks in the paint. I think it's always risky using power tools on your paint.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:38 PM   #12

okay guys thanks for all the help and tips. i will give it try over the weekend and post it how it goes afterwards.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:43 PM   #13

OKAY HOPEFULLY IT GOES WELL
Old 10-14-2010, 09:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimDigg View Post
With my experience peeling decals off of at least 40 Semi truck and trailers, we used heat guns and fingernails. Once the vinyl decals were peeled off, we used a few different things over the years. Some industrial orange adhesive remover, then onto 3m spray adhesive remover then the finally for the latest peel, gasoline and blue shop towel. I'd imagine goo gone would work well too.

We did get out an eraser drill for decals that had been baked in the sun for years on the top of the trucks, and it did leave marks in the paint. I think it's always risky using power tools on your paint.
I'm half retarded when it comes to things like this and the eraser wheel is fool-proof. After using it, as recommended, I noticed no difference in my paint in terms of swirls/marks/etc...
Old 10-16-2010, 06:27 AM   #15
lowedawg20 is on a distinguished road
lowedawg20's Tacoma Gallery
Use a hair dryer
Old 10-16-2010, 07:02 AM   #16
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
If nothing else works....look for a 'vinyl sticker eraser'
similar to this:
http://collinsbros.stores.yahoo.net/detoac.html

You run it on a drill and it removes stickers. My husband makes stickers and we've used this on vehicles before.

*sorry, if this has already been mentioned*
Old 10-16-2010, 08:38 AM   #17

alot of helpful tips from you guys. now i need to find a time and remove it. i'm gonna go with heater gun and some scraps or fingernails. i try that out first.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:39 PM   #18
Choot It!
kcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
kcrob1's Tacoma Gallery
I ran a sign company for 3 yrs and did more and more of these. I used a heat gun peeled off slowly and then took some RAPID REMOVER (basically a souped up goo gone, any sign company should be able to give you some) put it on a paper towel and wiped it generously on the adhesive and in about 5 minutes and very minor scrubbing it will come right off. Then wipe it down with rubbing alcohal. The paint around the letters will be faded so wax it good and hope its not to bad.