Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Spark plugs

Old 10-12-2010, 10:00 AM   #1
stucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nice

Name: Barry
stucksucksnayota's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to stucksucksnayota
Spark plugs

I have a few quick questions about the spark plugs in these trucks.

1st does it matter if you run the double electrode type compared to the regular type?
2nd is there anyway to gap the double electrode type plugs?
3rd what is so special about the double electrode plugs? Better hotter spark?

I plan on puttin in the NGK double electrode plugs but I just had a few questions that I couldnt find an answer too on here!
Old 10-12-2010, 10:09 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Yes you can gap the dual electrode plugs. Yes it makes a difference between running a single vs. dual electrode plug. AND, Use what the owners manual recomends. If your not SC'd, there is no need to run anything other than the OEM copper plugs.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:01 PM   #3
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Just more surface area for the spark to jump to.
Just make sure you stay away from the bosch platinum plugs. They are trouble.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:35 PM   #4
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
X's 2 on that, I tried the bosch when I first bought my truck and they were horrible, I've got standard NGK's in now and it runs well. I don't have the dual's though, would those give a noticable improvement over the single electrodes?
Old 10-12-2010, 04:47 PM   #5
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
I got mine from the dealer. Pretty cheap and I know they are the best for my engine.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:54 PM   #6
Don't go off ninjin
TacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: AMMO
Name: Daniel
TacomaDan's Tacoma Gallery
I dont know if you have the sticker or not but on the timing belt cover there is a sticker that says only use the dual electrode OEM type. PERIOD.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:02 PM   #7
TGurau is on a distinguished road
Marines: Former Seargent, NCOIC
Name: Tibi
TGurau's Tacoma Gallery
I use the NGK iridiums and it does me good. A while ago, I had found out about seafoam and went overkill and put in 2 bottles in (i did half of one on a run, then the other half, then I went to the store bought another bottle and put in the whole thing). I did fine for a few hundred miles but once I tried to climb a relatively steep hill, my engine died. I had a huge problem with trying to start it and once I started it, it would die once i put it in gear. I managed to get it to a parking spot for the night. I went back the next day with a set of tools and took out my old spark plugs and they were really fowled. Coem to find out that the seafoam had broken down so much carbon from my intake manifold that it had fowled the spark plugs. I put in the NGK iridiums and they burned everything away like it was nothing. It was amazing to watch. NO JOKE! Iridiums are $10 a pop but so def worth it!

Sorry for the long story :P
Old 10-12-2010, 05:10 PM   #8
once flirted with danger, danger got clingy
magikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: greg
magikbean562's Tacoma Gallery
i got my oem's from ebay on the cheap or you can get the ngk's from any local car parts store. i got some ngk's at home, i usually swap them out yearly. you can have them, just pay shipping
Old 10-12-2010, 05:17 PM   #9
TGurau is on a distinguished road
Marines: Former Seargent, NCOIC
Name: Tibi
TGurau's Tacoma Gallery
NICE! What about the front turn signals? Did you replace the fog lights with those or did u put them somewhere else? It looks like you replaced the turn signals in the pic.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:25 PM   #10
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGurau View Post
I use the NGK iridiums and it does me good. A while ago, I had found out about seafoam and went overkill and put in 2 bottles in (i did half of one on a run, then the other half, then I went to the store bought another bottle and put in the whole thing). I did fine for a few hundred miles but once I tried to climb a relatively steep hill, my engine died. I had a huge problem with trying to start it and once I started it, it would die once i put it in gear. I managed to get it to a parking spot for the night. I went back the next day with a set of tools and took out my old spark plugs and they were really fowled. Coem to find out that the seafoam had broken down so much carbon from my intake manifold that it had fowled the spark plugs. I put in the NGK iridiums and they burned everything away like it was nothing. It was amazing to watch. NO JOKE! Iridiums are $10 a pop but so def worth it!

Sorry for the long story :P
Well I would think some new stockers would have been fine once most of the carbon was gone. Not saying your wrong since I wasn't there but JMHO.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:26 PM   #11
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
Well I would think some new stockers would have been fine once most of the carbon was gone. Not saying your wrong since I wasn't there but JMHO.
I agree.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:49 AM   #12
stucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nice

Name: Barry
stucksucksnayota's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to stucksucksnayota
Well I'm going to seafoam my truck tonight, but I only plan you use about half a can in the intake vac line so hopefully it won't foul my plugs to bad!
Old 10-19-2010, 09:48 AM   #13
vantaco is just really nicevantaco is just really nicevantaco is just really nicevantaco is just really nice
vantaco's Tacoma Gallery
newer run seafoam with plugs you plan on keeping...it kills them as the guy above noted

best to do seafoam right before changing your plugs
Old 10-19-2010, 12:12 PM   #14
crazyasu45 is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
crazyasu45's Tacoma Gallery
I just found out the previous owner was running single electrode plugs I been driving around with the wrong plugs in for almost 2 years...funny thing is there's been no hestitation while idleing or under load...
Old 03-19-2012, 02:04 PM   #15
tmt411 is on a distinguished road
tmt411's Tacoma Gallery
Whats the issue?

I have Bosch Platinum + 4 plugs in mine, if have heard mixed reviews on them do they suck if so why?