Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Transmission Cooler?

Old 10-14-2010, 01:29 AM   #1
Starballs is on a distinguished road
Starballs's Tacoma Gallery
Transmission Cooler?

Hey Guys,

I have an '04 4x4 Sr5 with a manual transmission. Sometimes when I'm driving on the highway for an extended period of time especially when its hot outside, the shifter on my tranny seems to get pretty hot. Is this normal? Should I consider a transmission cooler? If so, any recommendations?

thanks.

-Max
Old 10-14-2010, 07:28 AM   #2
Danosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Danosabre's Tacoma Gallery
You shouldn't need a cooler if your not towing anything.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:43 AM   #3
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
I would consider changing the oil.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:41 AM   #4
I change the fluid just over a year ago. Thanks guys.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:46 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Shouldn't need a cooler in a manual unless you're constantly doing heavy towing. The transmission fluid in a manual isn't doing as much as that in an auto (not being forced through a torque convertor) and should be able to disappate the heat generated by the gears turning.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:24 AM   #6
Thanks Pugga. Makes sense. Is it normal or "ok" for the shifter to heat up like that? I don't ever tow but sometimes that thing gets pretty hot.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:33 AM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starballs View Post
Thanks Pugga. Makes sense. Is it normal or "ok" for the shifter to heat up like that? I don't ever tow but sometimes that thing gets pretty hot.
Honestly, my Tacoma is an auto so I can't really speak for those with manuals. My other trucks were manuals and I never noticed the shifter heating up but they were Fords and the shifter was like 2' long. If it's a metal shifter, it makes sense, heat transfers through metal very well. I'm assuming you're talking about it just feeling warm to the touch, it shouldn't really get 'hot' so to speak. If your clutch is slipping more than normal, it would create more heat but you'd notice it in the handling more than the shifter knob. Any else with a manual have any input?