Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

weight of aftermarket bumpers vs. stock

Old 10-15-2010, 07:34 PM   #1
trailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant future
trailmaker's Tacoma Gallery
weight of aftermarket bumpers vs. stock

My tacoma has had some weight gain recently with Line-x and headache rack so I was wondering if I could offset that gain a bit. Are any aftermarket bumpers lighter that stock?
Old 10-15-2010, 07:39 PM   #2
Tacoma with the TRI package
TRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tri
TRICOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRICOMA Send a message via MSN to TRICOMA
ARB about 175lbs

Shrockworks about 140lbs

Allpro about 110

Aluminess about 60lbs, which is what I have.

All great bumpers, but they are heavier than stock. Unless you are looking for a "prerunner" style bumper.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:40 PM   #3
trailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant future
Thanks. Good to know.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:59 PM   #4
1welder will become famous soon enough

Name: tony grace
1welder's Tacoma Gallery
My front bumper only weighed 25 pounds. I don't think you will find anything lighter then that.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:31 AM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1welder View Post
My front bumper only weighed 25 pounds. I don't think you will find anything lighter then that.
The stock bumper right? Not the Smitty
Old 10-16-2010, 07:52 PM   #7
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailmaker View Post
The stock bumper right? Not the Smitty
the front bumper doesn't have much to it. a 6'x4"x1/8 sheet of metal and some plastic.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:02 PM   #8
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
You're not gonna get a lighter bumper than the tinfoil stock one... You'd be better off beefing up the suspension
Old 10-17-2010, 09:13 PM   #9
TRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TRICOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLharry View Post
With a winch...

When I installed mine without a winch (twice) I could just pick it up off the ground myself no problem.
I mean the 2nd gen ones. I didn't realize i was posting in the first gen.

Here is part of the Email straight from ARB USA.

Tri,

The 2010 Toyota Tacoma bumpers weight is 175lbs. In the links below are the specs for the 9.5xp Warn Winch and ARB parts applications for the Tacoma.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:16 PM   #10

TRICOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
With a winch...

When I installed mine without a winch (twice) I could just pick it up off the ground myself no problem.
Also a winch weights about 80lbs...no way the ARB is less than 100 lbs.

Those numbers I posted are straight from the companies. Again when I was looking for my 2nd gen. I think 1st gen would not be that far off.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:29 PM   #12
Lube: It's the key to penetration.
STLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Charlotte VRS: EMT/Driver
Name: Harry
STLharry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRICOMA View Post
Also a winch weights about 80lbs...no way the ARB is less than 100 lbs.

Those numbers I posted are straight from the companies. Again when I was looking for my 2nd gen. I think 1st gen would not be that far off.
This link says the "empty" ARB weighs 78 lbs:
http://www.expeditionswest.com/equip...rb_bumper.html
Old 10-18-2010, 12:35 PM   #13
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiratus View Post
Just mounted a Relentless Fab plate bumper. With winch (synthetic rope) the total weight was 164 lbs. The toal weight of all the stock pieces removed was 32 lbs. Net gain was 132 lbs.

You can add about 20 lbs to that total if a steel winch cable is used.

Man I love this bumper..
Old 10-18-2010, 04:03 PM   #14
Master of War
shitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud of

Name: Ant
shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
^ x2 i know eh holy shit do those boys ever do some good work
Old 10-18-2010, 07:39 PM   #15
Quote:
Just mounted a Relentless Fab plate bumper. With winch (synthetic rope) the total weight was 164 lbs. The toal weight of all the stock pieces removed was 32 lbs. Net gain was 132 lbs.

Thanks for the info. That bumper looks great. So great in fact that now I'm trying to rationalize a 132lb weight gain.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:16 PM   #16
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This link says the "empty" ARB weighs 78 lbs:
http://www.expeditionswest.com/equip...rb_bumper.html
Shhh... Everyone thought you were just super buff before you said that...
Old 10-20-2014, 09:35 PM   #17
Brandmind is on a distinguished road
Name: Brandon
Brandmind's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Where can I get that winch bumper that you have on yours
Old 10-20-2014, 09:50 PM   #18
zbaldo has a spectacular aura aboutzbaldo has a spectacular aura about

Name: Ozzy
zbaldo's Tacoma Gallery
Relentless Fab ^^^^???
Old 10-20-2014, 10:26 PM   #19
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandmind View Post
Where can I get that winch bumper that you have on yours

At the time, the 2 guys from Relentless Fab (Tim and Eric) were partners. So technically, this is a Relentless bumper. But soon after this, Tim and Eric parted ways and Tim went on to build and sell this design as an Elite Offroad bumper.

Right now, you can't buy this bumper unless you find someone willing to part with theirs. Elite is no longer making them.

Eric (Relentless Fab) is still selling bumpers, though his design is not the same as this one.