Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Light Bulb Replacement shift console

Old 10-18-2010, 08:09 AM   #1
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
Light Bulb Replacement shift console

How does the shift console come apart so to change the light bulb, that lights up and tells you what gear your in at night, mine flickers at night, something loose or needs a new bulb.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:04 AM   #2
The New Guy
Fuzzyman81 is just really niceFuzzyman81 is just really niceFuzzyman81 is just really niceFuzzyman81 is just really nice

Fuzzyman81's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Fuzzyman81
They are 4 screws that hold the plastic casing on (2 at the front - 2 towards the cupholders before the console) - Take those out - gently lift the back portion of the plastic housing up (make sure nothing is plugged into your Cig lighters) and forward then lift it up. should come out pretty easily.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:55 AM   #3
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks got it apart pulled out the old bulb when I inserted the new bulb it did not want to stay in the socket so I had to use a little hot glue to hold it in. Nothing is easy it always turns into a shit storm.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:54 PM   #4
Rotobo is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: Rod
Rotobo's Tacoma Gallery
2003 Console auto shift indicator bulb replacement

I replaced my bulb today and I found if you use a 74 bulb it will pop right back out and if it pops out inside the unit you will have a time getting it out. Autozone, Oriellys and Advance never actually gave a part number for this bulb because there was no listing for the console shifter bulb. The 74 looked right but it wasn't. After the 74 attempt I tried Advance and one of the gals (yes,gal) at Advance did a search and helped me find the right bulb. The Advance number is 2721LL and they are two for 5.34,,, and it stayed in. The orange condom slid right back on and works fine and I had been told you had to buy a new condom but I was able to remove it and put it back on the new bulb. If it hadn't worked I was for leaving it off as all it does is tint the bulb orange. If someone made blue ones they would sell good.
I bet your bulb that popped out was a 74.
I also had to remove the cup holder to the rear of the console which was easy, no screws, you slide it to the rear and it pops off and this gives you plenty of room to remove the cover.
Now if I had a tutor and video and a schematic for replacing one of my tach bulbs I'd consider replacing it. I don't use the tach so I'm not to uptight over it but with the heater control lights going off and on for the last five years I expect one of them to stay off one of these days and they bug me when off so I'll be back one of these days checking for info on replacing them. Blown bulbs are fairyl common according to internet blogs.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:05 PM   #6
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Drive a manual, you won't have that problem.