1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Can't remove CV axle

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by thwhite, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Oct 18, 2010 at 2:09 PM
    thwhite

thwhite [OP] New Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    I've got a 2003 bone stock xtra cab, and i've got a leaking seal on the passenger side axle tube, where the CV axle joins. I've tried the FSM technique of removing the CV axle, no go. I've tried prying with large pry bars, no go. I've tried driving 2 cold chisels on either side and it still won't budge out.
    Before I put it all back together and take it to the shop, anyone got any tricks to get this thing off? It shouldn't be this hard and I don't want to damage the axle tube.

2. Oct 18, 2010 at 5:05 PM
    98_Mud_bug

98_Mud_bug 98_mud_bug

Member:
    lucedale Ms.
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma sr5/ 06 x-runner
    3 inch suspension lift, night shades corner and blinkers projector headlights with halos and 3 led's 18 inch kmc xd rockstar wheels,275/65/18 kelly safari tsr's, bush whacker fender flares 7 inch touch screen, 2 kenwood 12's, Magnaflow exaust single in dual out,
    try a nylon strap.. put it around the end and get a come a long or somethin and tighten up against somethin.. if you hold pressure on it and tap on it with a hammer it will probably come out..

3. Oct 18, 2010 at 5:05 PM
    2TRunner

2TRunner Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    disconnect the lower control arm from the knuckle.

4. Oct 18, 2010 at 5:41 PM
    thwhite

thwhite [OP] New Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    I removed the 4 bolts holding the lower control arm and let it drop. I didn't take off the shock/spring though.

I wondered about the nylon strap, but I couldn't figure out how to attach it to the end of the CV axle.

I think the seal is so worn out when I pry on it, it might be getting it torqued out of line and putting it in a bit of a bind.

I'll try the strap and scrap the rest of the flesh off of my remaining knuckles. I bent a good 3/4" cold chisel prying with it. This thing is a beast.

5. Oct 18, 2010 at 8:16 PM
    98_Mud_bug

98_Mud_bug 98_mud_bug

Member:
    lucedale Ms.
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma sr5/ 06 x-runner
    3 inch suspension lift, night shades corner and blinkers projector headlights with halos and 3 led's 18 inch kmc xd rockstar wheels,275/65/18 kelly safari tsr's, bush whacker fender flares 7 inch touch screen, 2 kenwood 12's, Magnaflow exaust single in dual out,
    around the inside steel part of the cv axle, you could put a strap on there so it will not slide, and put the ratchet strap on it.. if nothin else, soak it in some kind of penetrating oil. it may loosen it up enough.. have you engaged your 4wd lately?

6. Oct 19, 2010 at 5:45 AM
    thwhite

thwhite [OP] New Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    had it in 4wd on last friday. I just acquired this truck so I'm going through it for the first time. I'll keep pulling on it. I had it under a load and was tapping on the "tulip" part (I think). Still no budge.

I'm guessing the PO ran it with low gear oil (due to the leaking seal) so it's not been well lubed like it should. I guess it could have rusted??

If I remove the 4 torx bolts that attach the axle tube to the diff, will it all come out? Could I get to the clip from the backside then?
    At least then I can put it in a vise or something sturdy and try to pull it.

7. Oct 19, 2010 at 6:01 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.

Products Discussed in

To Top