1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Turn Signal Relocation

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by BurritoJimmyFan, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Oct 19, 2010 at 5:09 PM
    BurritoJimmyFan

BurritoJimmyFan [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    04 Ext Cab TRD
    Gray Wire Mod, DRL Mod, Deckplate Mod
    After seeing this write-up (link below) I had to give this a try.

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/tacoma_front_trim/

Now I need some moral support and some suggestions. I haven't seen this mod at all on TW. Has anyone done this?

I'm planning on doing mine slightly different. I'm going to trim the black piece the same way, except I'm going to trim out the portion that holds the light in place and I'm planning on installing that whole piece into the bumper with the light. I had no fear when trimming the plastic and so far it looks good. It will need to be sanded and cleaned up a bit, but don't see any problems.

Now, I still need to cut a hole for the light and now I'm a little concerned. I plan on measuring several times before cutting but I really don't want to screw it up. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Also, what should I cut the bumper with? I do not have a jig saw, do I need to get one? I was hoping I could use a dremmel, but I don't have a piece that will cut metal. Should I just buy that attachment or is it too weak for this job?

What do you all think?

2. Oct 19, 2010 at 5:21 PM
    BurritoJimmyFan

BurritoJimmyFan [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    04 Ext Cab TRD
    Gray Wire Mod, DRL Mod, Deckplate Mod
    I've heard of that. So, it does work as a parking light AND a blinker. I read that it is not reversible so I wasn't considering it. But I guess drilling a hole in the bumper is not reversible either, lol.

3. Oct 19, 2010 at 6:03 PM
    rrosebr

rrosebr Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Blacksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    04 4x4 Dbl Cab V6 TRD
    K&N Air Filter, K&N Oil Filter, Security System MOD, Line-X Bedliner, Fog Light MOD
  4. Oct 19, 2010 at 6:24 PM
    nelson18matt

nelson18matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    just go with some LED light strips under the headlights

much easier... you can barely see mine right above the top tube of the bumper

but that is a cool mod you posted

[​IMG]

5. Oct 22, 2010 at 10:07 AM
    matthew5olson

matthew5olson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    matthew
    pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 ext cab 3.4L 5spd 4x4 sr5
    K&N cold air intake, doug thorley headers, rear sensor simulator, flowmaster 40 series, magnecor plug wires, Royal Purple synthetic gear lube, airaid throttle body spacer, Hyperground system, flex-a-lite elec fan.
  6. Oct 22, 2010 at 9:57 PM
    zxbryantx

zxbryantx Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Northwest Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma 4x4
    Home built front bumper, sliders, and rear bumper, 3in Lift, Deck Plate Mod, Blinker Mod, Gas Can windshield washer container mod :))
    Its really simple. Like they said above you just have to drill the hole bigger, get new light sockets and then rewire them back. Since the sockets i used didnt fit perfectly, I put silicone around where the socket touches the plastic to keep it in place and also water proof a little. I found a write up somewhere on the net. It was detailed as can be. Ill see if i can find it.

Edit: cant find the one i used but the links above are basically exactly the same.

7. Oct 22, 2010 at 10:23 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    I trimmed the shit out of my '00 & relocated ugly ass turn signals to the outside bumper brackets at an angle, now cutting out the middle does expose the radiator (not the best look) but more importantly it exposes it to damage because so much of it IS in the open, so I found a piece of steel mesh (or perf panel ) & trimmed it to fit attaching it to the top of the skid plate & bent a 1/2" flange & screwed it into place to the bottom of what was left of the front bumper.. looks ok IMO

DSC03269_c3d47869c58251838c309d5b122c2ddf7136c105.jpg

DSC03226_2f4cdcfe4a1825bc77606615ad99d8bc2d9d4043.jpg

8. Oct 23, 2010 at 4:00 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....

Products Discussed in