Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Deck plate mod?

Old 10-21-2010, 12:16 PM   #1
BigKatTaco is on a distinguished road
BigKatTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Deck plate mod?

i have a 03 dc taco and i was wondering what the deck plate mod is that i keep seeing in alot of the threads...
Old 10-21-2010, 12:19 PM   #2
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...od-please.html
Old 10-21-2010, 12:20 PM   #3
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
You gotta search bud http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...plate-mod.html
Old 10-21-2010, 12:20 PM   #4
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
http://home.ezonline.net/~jnburtman/deckplate.html

http://www.gadgetonline.com/AirInduc...ed%20Air%20Box
Old 10-21-2010, 12:37 PM   #5
vantaco is just really nicevantaco is just really nicevantaco is just really nicevantaco is just really nice
vantaco's Tacoma Gallery
i'm just removing my elbow, saves from having to spend $10 on the deck plate, and keeps the airbox original
Old 10-21-2010, 12:52 PM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKatTaco View Post
i have a 03 dc taco and i was wondering what the deck plate mod is that i keep seeing in alot of the threads...
You saw the threads.... did you read any of them? The answers were right in front of your nose.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:57 PM   #7
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantaco View Post
i'm just removing my elbow, saves from having to spend $10 on the deck plate, and keeps the airbox original

Your complaining about a $10 deck plate? Come on some of us made the mistake of buying a $300 CAI before we joined TW now that's something to complain about.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:59 PM   #8
vantaco is just really nicevantaco is just really nicevantaco is just really nicevantaco is just really nice
vantaco's Tacoma Gallery
lol no complaining....it's just money i don't need to spend if i don't have too lol

actually, first i'm going to see where the elbow comes out in the fender and see if there's any risk of water getting up there at all

if there is then i might do the deck plate mod, after all it is only $15 lol
Old 10-21-2010, 02:08 PM   #9
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantaco View Post
lol no complaining....it's just money i don't need to spend if i don't have too lol

actually, first i'm going to see where the elbow comes out in the fender and see if there's any risk of water getting up there at all

if there is then i might do the deck plate mod, after all it is only $15 lol

I don't think your going to have a problem with water getting in the elbow unless you dunk the whole front end. I'm modifying my CAI so that i can use my cone filter and CAI tube with the stock air box. i hit a puddle about 4" deep at 15mph and got water all over my filter. I like going in water and i don't want to hydro lock my truck so i got to do something.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:18 PM   #10
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
shit i hit a puddle of at least 2 feet water went over the hood and my deck plate was still fine....not saying i would ever do it again.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:25 PM   #11
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by malander View Post
shit i hit a puddle of at least 2 feet water went over the hood and my deck plate was still fine....not saying i would ever do it again.

And that's why I'm modifying my CAI so I can hit a puddle without freaking out.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:18 AM   #12
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by malander View Post
Was it OPEN or Closed?

If you know you're gonna be running around in the mud & water, you put the LID ON and close the airbox. If you're driving around on the street and want breathability & better throttle response - you remove the LID and open the airbox.

Why take chances? Close the box if you're running around in water.
OR
Just cut a damn big hole in the airbox and leave it open. That's totally a personal preference.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:42 AM   #13
pipelayer_99 is on a distinguished road
pipelayer_99's Tacoma Gallery
I did the mod last week. Has anyone found water in the airbox after driving in heavy rain with the plate open?
Old 10-22-2010, 08:10 AM   #14
"f*#@ it, dude. let's go bowling"
ozark705 is on a distinguished road

ozark705's Tacoma Gallery
I drove over 200 miles in rain this past weekend, heavy at times, and had no water whatsoever. And, as other members suggested, if you are freaked out, stop, pull over, put in the deckplate, and take a deep breath out.