1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Oil & Seafoam?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Reaver, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Oct 23, 2010 at 7:34 PM
    Reaver

Reaver [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    95 4x4 DLX
    I recently purchased a 1995.5 tacoma 2.7 manual 4x4 ext cab with 160k miles on it from a dealer. I don't know what oil has been running in this thing, but I was hoping to run synthetic oil in it as well as seafoam it through the pcv valve & gas tank. I came across this thread for seafoam: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/28261-seafoam.html
    and it was very helpful and now I know what I want to do there. Then I started doing research on the oil and I came across this thread first:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/30920-pre-own-100k-what-oil-should-i-use.html
    and then this thread second:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/91669-help-synthetic-oil.html
    After reading the second thread I'm concerned about running synthetic oils. without knowing what the truck has been using for 160k miles I guess I'll go the safer route and not use the synthetic but there were some posts in that second thread I posted that were also advising against the seafoam...do you guys think that's also a bad idea? I really just want to take care of my engine and try to keep it in clean, good working condition inside and out.

2. Oct 23, 2010 at 7:36 PM
    crf69

crf69 scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR BSP cab'n 1/2
    ummm yeah
    put amsoil in it and run it

3. Oct 23, 2010 at 8:17 PM
    Toyota Tacoma

Toyota Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    dbl cab long box
    Suspension: -Bilistien 5100's all around -Add a leaf -Firestone ride rite air bags Performance: -K&N cold air -Borla cat back Stereo: -Pioneer AVH-X2500BT head unit -Kenwood 1400 shallow mount 12'' sub in custom box -Alpine 1100 amp -Alpine 400 4 channel -4 energy component 6.5's Wheels/tires: -17x9 with 4.5 backspacing XD hoss rims with 33'' bfTreadwright gaurd dogs and spidertrax spacers Looks: -Satoshi grille made by myself -Hood, front bumper, grille, roof, tailgate and rear bumper plasti-dipped. -BHLM -eyelids -matted out tailights -Tacoma bed mat Small mods : -Trailer 7 pin replaced and moved into bumper beside licence plate -Removed mud flaps -Repainted frame/lower a-arms, skid and rear diff/housing with por15 -Led bulbs -Interior lights replaced with blue led's -Beep on lock added
    if i were you i would just run dino without seafoam. then just seafoam the vacum hose with 1/3 of a can and put the rest in the tank.

4. Oct 23, 2010 at 10:15 PM
    ozark705

ozark705 "f*#@ it, dude. let's go bowling"

Member:
    Mid-MO
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 DBL Cab SR5
    Gray Wire mod, Deckplate Mod w/aFe dry filter, anti-axle wrap u-bolt mod, fog light mod, LED interior lighting mod, & seafoam enthusiast
    I have a '03 3.4L. When I got it, it had 77k on it and I ran seafoam through the pcv valve & gas tank. I did NOT put it in the crank. It blew quite a bit of crap out the muffler, but not as much as what i anticipated. However, it does idle smoother and shifts smoother as well. Have been running 5w30 mobil 1 synthetic when I did first oil change. Thus, I would say just do seafoam through the pcv valve & gas tank, fwiw.

Products Discussed in

To Top