Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Confused about modified banjo bolt with tundra brake upgrade

Old 10-29-2010, 06:51 PM   #1
ghoststoglory is on a distinguished road
ghoststoglory's Tacoma Gallery
Confused about modified banjo bolt with tundra brake upgrade

Like the title says...I'm not entirely sure how to modify the banjo bolts. From all the threads I've looked at, I couldn't find one with pictures still active. Could someone please explain to me exactly what to do to my banjo bolts to keep them from leaking with tundra calipers? I've searched around and haven't found much, so thanks for your help.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:43 PM   #2
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
never read the tundra brake upgrades, but could it be as simple as getting custom brake lines or even getting a different size copper washer? could you pm me a link so i can read?
Old 10-30-2010, 06:38 AM   #3
That makes sense...dunno if anyone's done that.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...-brakes-2.html
Old 10-30-2010, 10:02 PM   #4
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
it says the kit comes with custom brake lines ???

if it didnt id reccomend getting custom ones, with a toyota tacoma end for the part that connects to the double wall steel line on your truck and a tundra banjo bolt for the tundra caliper and the proper copper washers
Old 10-31-2010, 12:41 AM   #5
JDBECK23 has a spectacular aura aboutJDBECK23 has a spectacular aura aboutJDBECK23 has a spectacular aura about
Navy: CPO
Name: Jesse
JDBECK23's Tacoma Gallery
Have you read this? http://www.customtacos.com/forum/sho...ake+conversion
Old 10-31-2010, 10:37 AM   #6
I have read that, thank you though. So is the consensus that I should get tundra hoses for the calipers? Will I need to modify the other end of the hose (not on the caliper side) or will it mate right into the existing fitting on the truck?
Old 11-03-2010, 04:23 PM   #7
new lines...drill the banjo bolts...? thoughts?
Old 11-03-2010, 10:28 PM   #8
cmf21 is on a distinguished road
cmf21's Tacoma Gallery
I don't remember where I saw it, but if you order the brake lines from wheelersoffroad, they come with the banjo bolt and there is no drilling required.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:51 AM   #9
I appreciate it man, thanks. I just found that thread on TTORA last night and ordered the lines right then. $72.50, no mod required, and I can use them with the lift I want...sounds like a win!
Old 11-05-2010, 05:49 AM   #10
JDBECK23 has a spectacular aura aboutJDBECK23 has a spectacular aura aboutJDBECK23 has a spectacular aura about
Ghost, im assuming you ordered the lines for a Tundra? Or just a new set of Tacoma lines from Wheelers?
Old 11-05-2010, 07:09 AM   #11
1finetaco is on a distinguished road
1finetaco's Tacoma Gallery
To use the stock lines you need to just drill the tip of the bolt out so that it will go all the way in. Its pretty simple there is a write up somewhere with pics. The aftermarket lines are the better choice anyway because you dont have to drill anything and you get a much firmer feel as long as the back line is also a stainless. Just depends if you are doing this upgrade on the cheap or not.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:25 AM   #12
I ordered the Tacoma lines. The banjo bolt with those lines will bolt straight up to the caliper according to the two or three people that bought them on TTORA.

I understand the mod wasn't all that hard, however I didn't want to drill them, nor could I find a thread with pics that were still active, showing how to do it.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:45 AM   #13
Im with you on that! I like to have a very good idea of what needs to be done before I start... or at least know that all the parts will fit before I start!

Can you post some pics of your install when you're done?
Old 11-09-2010, 06:09 PM   #14
Sure man, I will. According to UPS my package will arrive tomorrow. I'm off Thursday, so my plan is to get it done tomorrow night. I will post some pics when I'm done.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #15
hokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hokiruu's Tacoma Gallery
Reviving this old thread. Just to verify: I have braided stainless lines from wheelers on my stock tacoma brakes now. I am putting on Tundra brakes. The banjo bolts i am alreafy using should be ok on the Tundra calipers without being modified?
Old 06-19-2013, 08:03 AM   #16
cdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant future

Name: Clint
cdj1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiruu View Post
Reviving this old thread. Just to verify: I have braided stainless lines from wheelers on my stock tacoma brakes now. I am putting on Tundra brakes. The banjo bolts i am alreafy using should be ok on the Tundra calipers without being modified?
Even if you have to modify them its easy. Just put the bolt head in a vise and use a cordless drill with a 3/8 bit. The metal used for the bolts is soft and the hole in the center acts like a pilot hole to keep you straight. Drill off a couple of threads deep, clean and test fit. I just did the upgrade on my Tacoma last night. I have aftermarket ss lines I bought from 4wheel parts.