Notices

Random Clutch Issues...

Old 11-04-2010, 08:57 AM   #1
Spiral Out... Keep Going!
JBear is on a distinguished road

Name: Jason
JBear's Tacoma Gallery
Random Clutch Issues...

Hey everyone...Im having an odd problem. I just bought my first Taco about 2 months ago, so Im clueless what might be going on. Since I bought it I've been up to the mountains with it twice. BOTH times, and ONLY when Im up there, my clutch partially goes out. I get up to my cabin fine, park my truck, and the next morning it's like I have almost NO clutch at all? I pull the pedal back up... nothing. I pump it... nothing. But if I drive it like that for a bit, turn it off and back on a little later, its fine again! WTH??? I already know the clutch is due soon. I bought the truck with 109k, and dont see any new clutch installed in the records... it's pretty obvious anyway, lol.Anyway... does anyone know what might cause this? Is it the altitude / line pressure? If so, shouldn't pumping work immediately? The fluid levels are fine.Thanks to anyone who may be able to help... I appreciate it! Oh yah... I have a Silver 2003 Access Cab SR5 4WD Manual w/ TRD Off-Road diff lock.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:14 PM   #2
Master of War
shitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud of

Name: Ant
shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
maybe the clutch fluid just needs to be rebled or it has old shitty fluid in it, if its a blackish brown color definitly bleed some new fluid into it.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:06 PM   #3
It's alright...They know me here
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
IIRC the 1st gear syncho makes it hard to engage 1st gear when the fluid temps are down, especially with non-synthetic gear oil. Since you are new to the truck i'd try changing out the oil. Use a nice synthetic like redline mtl or mt-90. I've used both and they work very well, they do not contain any friction modifiers that some gear oils have. The synchos do not like friction modifiers.

Unless your clutch has seen a lot of abuse during its like, 109K is not that many miles for the stock clutch. There are stories of folks on here with 200K on their original clutch.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:15 PM   #4

JBear's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiratus View Post
IIRC the 1st gear syncho makes it hard to engage 1st gear when the fluid temps are down, especially with non-synthetic gear oil. Since you are new to the truck i'd try changing out the oil. Use a nice synthetic like redline mtl or mt-90. I've used both and they work very well, they do not contain any friction modifiers that some gear oils have. The synchos do not like friction modifiers.

Unless your clutch has seen a lot of abuse during its like, 109K is not that many miles for the stock clutch. There are stories of folks on here with 200K on their original clutch.
My bad on the 109k... typo! I bought it with 149k. I will try out the MT-90 first, and see how that helps. Shouldn't be long before I get to test it out... snow is coming.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:18 PM   #5
CRAZY 4WHEELER
desertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
desertdude59's Tacoma Gallery
Your slave cylinder or clutch master could be going out too.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:27 PM   #6

JBear's Tacoma Gallery
The pedal occasionally sticks about 3/4 the way up... a quick light tap and it pops up... would that be another symptom of a cyl? Any indicator of which?
Old 11-04-2010, 09:34 PM   #7
CRAZY 4WHEELER
desertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
The pedal occasionally sticks about 3/4 the way up... a quick light tap and it pops up... would that be another symptom of a cyl? Any indicator of which?
I would say the clutch master. Maybe the pressure is bleeding off a little bit. I know on my 91 if you follow the metal line from the clutch master there is a 12 inch piece of brake line then it goes back to the metal line to the slave cylinder. Im not sure if you have that, but if its bad it might be expanding on you causing loss of clutch pressure. If its easy Id just replace the clutch master and slave if its on the outside of your trans to eliminate that possible problem.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:35 PM   #8
CRAZY 4WHEELER

Quote:
That could just be the spring too. A little grease should fix that.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:19 AM   #9

JBear's Tacoma Gallery
No, its not all that bad, but Im gonna have it checked when I replace the clutch soon... its really getting down there, so I want a fresh one anyway. Thanks for the tips, man. Hope I don't have to replace ALL that crap, lol... probably not.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:41 AM   #10
CRAZY 4WHEELER

Quote:
No, its not all that bad, but Im gonna have it checked when I replace the clutch soon... its really getting down there, so I want a fresh one anyway. Thanks for the tips, man. Hope I don't have to replace ALL that crap, lol... probably not.
No prob. Have fun with your truck!
Old 09-08-2011, 05:10 PM   #11
JSSpuler is on a distinguished road
JSSpuler's Tacoma Gallery
I too have a clutch that sticks in and Ive been reading the threads that deal with cold temps. However, I dont live in a cold environment and this morning my clutch stayed stuck to the floor after shifting into 1st. I had driven the truck in the morning so it wasnt the first drive of the day.

Its never been that bad, it always pops out and I would just tap back it to its full travel. As a quick fix, I sprayed some grease down where the spring is and where the rod goes in. Any ideas to the cause and a remedy?