1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear seals "HELP"

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Muleman R.D., Nov 5, 2010.

1. Nov 5, 2010 at 1:37 PM
    Muleman R.D.

Muleman R.D. [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    R.D.
    Arivaca, Az.
    Vehicle:
    01 SR5 4WD
    Had a local mechanic rplace rear axle seals. 10 months later they are leaking again. Tried a different mechanic and two days later I have a leak both sides. He tried a second time with same results.
    Is there a trick to doing the rear seals ? Should I have to replace the bearings also ?
    I'm trying to save my duckets by not going to the dealership. Should I just knuckle under and go to the dealership ?

2. Nov 5, 2010 at 2:14 PM
    WASTE MANAGEMENT

WASTE MANAGEMENT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Umatilla Florida
    Vehicle:
    97 tacoma 4x4 3.4 w/5 speed
    new 31x10.5 tires, mag wheels, drilled rotors, new sound, and a cb.
    Check the vent sounds like its building pressure. I bet if you take the vent out it will sound like there is air pressure behind it.

3. Nov 5, 2010 at 2:36 PM
    Vidman

Vidman Protected by Glock

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    central Mass
    Vehicle:
    black TRD sport AC
    Not Enough
    I had the same problem on my 2000 taco and found out that the breather was plugged up. do the breather mod on it and it will solve your leakage problem... Of course if the guy cut the seal while installing it then thats a different issue. I install seals on a daily basis and sometimes you just screw up..Always lube the seal lip with oil or grease when installing it...good luck

4. Nov 6, 2010 at 8:17 AM
    Muleman R.D.

Muleman R.D. [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    R.D.
    Arivaca, Az.
    Vehicle:
    01 SR5 4WD
    Thanks you guys !! I will put my mechanic on straight away.I'll let you know the results.

5. Nov 6, 2010 at 12:38 PM
    Muleman R.D.

Muleman R.D. [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    R.D.
    Arivaca, Az.
    Vehicle:
    01 SR5 4WD
    I found what I think is the vent cap. Aprox.3/8" pipe thread with a 14mm head and a loose fitting cap on top aprox. 3/4" tall on top of the axle just left of the differential. I removed it and blew thru it. It appears to have a one way valve in it. when I blow through it it makes a popping sound as if it is kinda sticking but it does not take much effort.
    Can I clean this vent or is it better to replace ?
    If it can be cleaned, what should I clean it with ?

6. Nov 6, 2010 at 6:58 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    Extended it up high, off of the axle. It is a common mod to extend the breather. Check this link:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/15223-diy-differential-breather-extension.html

7. Nov 7, 2010 at 7:52 AM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    If you pull it apart again look at where the seal rides on the axle itself, if there is a grove in the axle the seal needs to be positioned so not to ride in that groove( dont't press it into the axle tube as far or a little futher pass the groove ) or speedy sleeve the axles.

8. Nov 7, 2010 at 8:05 AM
    Muleman R.D.

Muleman R.D. [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    R.D.
    Arivaca, Az.
    Vehicle:
    01 SR5 4WD
    Wow !! This site is friggin cool!! As you all can see I am new to Tacoma World. TRD Desert Man turned me onto it at camp last week while we were out hunting. Naturally the conversation went from hunting to the Tacos we both drove. He won the Taco sniffin contest as he is way ahead of me. But give me time, I am now on the journey.
    "Waste Management", "Vidman" thanks. "Digiratus" special thanks ! Those are great pics and ideas on the breather mod. I'm on my way to the parts place now.

9. Nov 7, 2010 at 9:05 AM
    WASTE MANAGEMENT

WASTE MANAGEMENT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Umatilla Florida
    Vehicle:
    97 tacoma 4x4 3.4 w/5 speed
    new 31x10.5 tires, mag wheels, drilled rotors, new sound, and a cb.
    Yeah, this place is great. you can clean that breather with brake cleaner, just keep spraying till clean.

10. Nov 7, 2010 at 12:46 PM
    Vidman

Vidman Protected by Glock

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    central Mass
    Vehicle:
    black TRD sport AC
    Not Enough
    X2 speedy sleeves work wonders

Products Discussed in