1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stock to Stock, Bilstein Shock Swap-Out

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by JBear, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Nov 6, 2010 at 10:46 AM
    JBear

JBear [OP] Spiral Out... Keep Going!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2003 Extra Cab 5 spd 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    2" suspension lift with King Coilovers up front. Standard Bilsteins on rear with a Fabtech 1.5" AAL. Leer 100XL Shell.
    Im switching out the billies on my '03, but keeping the springs. I want to know the easiest way to do this, and what special tools I may need. I could only find links for lifts... so even a recommendation to the right post would be helpful. Backs are no problem... just need advice on fronts.

Much Thanks!!!

2. Nov 6, 2010 at 11:43 AM
    mtucker

mtucker Tacoma addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Escondido, CA.
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner DC
    Replaced chrome badges with Sockmonkey black badges, painted billet grill black, K&N cold air intake, my corner light turn signal circuit, Speedfreek traction bars, RAAMaudio BXT/Ensolite, Stereo: Kenwood KIV-701 USB/Bluetooth deck, 10" Pioneer shallow sub behind the rear seat, Infinity 6822cf 6x8 front and rear doors, Fosgate P400-2 (sub), US Acoustics USX-4065 (four main speakers)
  3. Nov 6, 2010 at 2:12 PM
    JBear

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2" suspension lift with King Coilovers up front. Standard Bilsteins on rear with a Fabtech 1.5" AAL. Leer 100XL Shell.
    Yah, that part was a bitch... went to autozone and rented some external coil compression clamps to switch it over. She's almost done... working on last front now... smoke break!

4. Nov 6, 2010 at 6:20 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    Everyone should do this once....just to be able to say they did. :eek: It is a bitch and kinda scary when you think about the energy stored in those coils when they are compressed enough to slip the shock outa there.

Ahhh, what fond memories. Did it once, I'll never do it again! :pray:

5. Nov 7, 2010 at 4:50 AM
    JBear

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    After all necessary bolts were off, I made the mistake of prying the shock out of its seat with a large screwdriver and my arm below it. Yep... this dumbass took a good one in the forearm. Lesson learned. I switched out the backs in about 30 min. The first front took me 2.25 hours (had to improvise), the second side took me 45 minutes, lol. Funny how that works. My next set will be purchased pre-assembled, that's for damn sure! And yes... it's a bit scary. I worked on it at arms length whenever possible, and never aimed the thing at myself, lol... I'd be a goner if something gave.
    :boom:

6. Nov 7, 2010 at 8:31 PM
    4wdExplorer

4wdExplorer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County, CA
    I am thinking about switching out my oem bilsteins also.

Not sure if I should get the Bilsteins HD shocks which are a little better then the trd shocks or get the Bilstein 5100s.

I want to retain stock height but I cant really tell the difference between a 1 inch from a stock height.

I want to keep my old springs too.

Products Discussed in

To Top