Notices

Stock to Stock, Bilstein Shock Swap-Out

Old 11-06-2010, 10:46 AM   #1
Spiral Out... Keep Going!
JBear is on a distinguished road

Name: Jason
JBear's Tacoma Gallery
Stock to Stock, Bilstein Shock Swap-Out

Im switching out the billies on my '03, but keeping the springs. I want to know the easiest way to do this, and what special tools I may need. I could only find links for lifts... so even a recommendation to the right post would be helpful. Backs are no problem... just need advice on fronts.

Much Thanks!!!
Old 11-06-2010, 02:12 PM   #3

JBear's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtucker View Post
I didn't do them all myself (I took the shock/spring assembly to a shop and had them swap the spring over), but this may help.
http://www.customtacos.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=138312

Matt
Yah, that part was a bitch... went to autozone and rented some external coil compression clamps to switch it over. She's almost done... working on last front now... smoke break!
Old 11-06-2010, 06:20 PM   #4
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
Yah, that part was a bitch... went to autozone and rented some external coil compression clamps to switch it over. She's almost done... working on last front now... smoke break!
Everyone should do this once....just to be able to say they did. It is a bitch and kinda scary when you think about the energy stored in those coils when they are compressed enough to slip the shock outa there.

Ahhh, what fond memories. Did it once, I'll never do it again!
Old 11-07-2010, 04:50 AM   #5

JBear's Tacoma Gallery
After all necessary bolts were off, I made the mistake of prying the shock out of its seat with a large screwdriver and my arm below it. Yep... this dumbass took a good one in the forearm. Lesson learned. I switched out the backs in about 30 min. The first front took me 2.25 hours (had to improvise), the second side took me 45 minutes, lol. Funny how that works. My next set will be purchased pre-assembled, that's for damn sure! And yes... it's a bit scary. I worked on it at arms length whenever possible, and never aimed the thing at myself, lol... I'd be a goner if something gave.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:31 PM   #6
chmura is on a distinguished road
chmura's Tacoma Gallery
I am thinking about switching out my oem bilsteins also.

Not sure if I should get the Bilsteins HD shocks which are a little better then the trd shocks or get the Bilstein 5100s.

I want to retain stock height but I cant really tell the difference between a 1 inch from a stock height.

I want to keep my old springs too.