Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Fuel Tank Capacity?

Old 08-01-2008, 06:41 AM   #1
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
Fuel Tank Capacity?

I have a 98 2wd reg cab 2.4L Tacoma. The Chilton manual i have claims 18 gallons, but when i fill up near empty, its more like 11. Which is correct? Any ideas? Thanks
Old 08-01-2008, 07:05 AM   #2
stucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nice

Name: Barry
stucksucksnayota's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to stucksucksnayota
Idk about yours exactly but i have an 2001 4 door 4x4 v-6 its the biggest taco you could buy in the 1st gen. style and my tank is only around 16 gal. But I think the 2005 and newer tacos may have an 18 gal. tank. I would be willing to bet yours is around 12 ot 12.5gal.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:31 AM   #3
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stucksucksnayota View Post
Idk about yours exactly but i have an 2001 4 door 4x4 v-6 its the biggest taco you could buy in the 1st gen. style and my tank is only around 16 gal. But I think the 2005 and newer tacos may have an 18 gal. tank. I would be willing to bet yours is around 12 ot 12.5gal.
I have the same truck buddy- we have an 18.5 gallon tank
Old 08-01-2008, 07:40 AM   #4
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dually's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm, Im wondering because my scanguage 2 is arriving next week.. 12-12.5 seems more reasonable.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:40 AM   #5
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dually near as I can research yours is 15.8 gallons. This would explain your near-empty condition at fillup, being there is around 2 gallons left in the tank at that point
Old 08-01-2008, 07:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dually View Post
Hmm, Im wondering because my scanguage 2 is arriving next week.. 12-12.5 seems more reasonable.
No I was saying me and "stuck..." have the doublecab which has a larger tank than yours
Old 08-01-2008, 07:45 AM   #7
Low and slow

dually's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
No I was saying me and "stuck..." have the doublecab which has a larger tank than yours
Yeh, i understood you were agreeing with stuck lol I was saying 12gallons seem more reasonable than the 18 that the Chilton manual claims lol
Old 08-01-2008, 07:46 AM   #8
Low and slow

dually's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have a link for the 15.8 gallons? JW
Old 08-01-2008, 08:27 AM   #9
ubermx5 is on a distinguished road
ubermx5's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to ubermx5
a 1998 Tacoma has a 15.9 tank
it is in the Maunal that came with the car. this was on the window sticker

I know my Fuel gauge is on E at 12 gallons. I hate this. I rather it be on E at 14 gallons.

Chiton is wrong but this is typica for them.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:31 AM   #10
Low and slow

dually's Tacoma Gallery
Yeh, I didnt get a manual with the truck. Thanks, that helps a lot! Well, its nice to know that I can go another 60+miles on E! haha
Old 08-01-2008, 08:33 AM   #11

Ther ya go dually glad you got the answers!
Old 08-01-2008, 08:34 AM   #12
Low and slow

dually's Tacoma Gallery
Yeh, this is probably the most helpful forums Ive been on!
Old 08-01-2008, 08:35 AM   #13

Yeah it is a good one for sure!
Old 08-01-2008, 08:44 AM   #14
Low and slow

dually's Tacoma Gallery
ToyotaNation is to wide, in terms of sub forums not specified
Custom Tacos; Not many people on at a time, answers take a while
Thumpertalk (forum for fourstroke motorcycles); too many smartass kids

Those are the main forums I go to. And I do have to say, I get answers quick here!
Old 08-01-2008, 09:58 AM   #15
High Mileage Work
tmantstud is on a distinguished road

tmantstud's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 98 2.4L. reg cab 5spd. and my tank is only 12 gallons.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:02 AM   #16
Tacoma World Ring Leader
klown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

klown's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on what you call fuel capacity. You can fill up until the nozzle clicks, or you can do like I do and put another 3-4 gallons in there.

If you stop filling up when the nozzle clicks the first time, then I can see how you think you have a 12 gal tank.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:39 PM   #17
stucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nice

Name: Barry
stucksucksnayota's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to stucksucksnayota
Well im glad Ridgerunner got on here lol ive been living a lie for 2 years now. I thought it was a 16 gal. but now i know i can drive even farther with that gas light on before i fill her up lol
Old 08-01-2008, 02:49 PM   #18
ubermx5 is on a distinguished road
ubermx5's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to ubermx5
Well you will want to check your manual.
As this info may change from year to year.

I wonder what Gas tanks work with al years of tacomas.
i would like a larger tank my self.

I rather have a 500 mile range on fill ups.
but keep it all under the bed...
Old 08-01-2008, 06:00 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by stucksucksnayota View Post
Well im glad Ridgerunner got on here lol ive been living a lie for 2 years now. I thought it was a 16 gal. but now i know i can drive even farther with that gas light on before i fill her up lol
Thanks buddy
Old 08-01-2008, 08:19 PM   #20
stratton will become famous soon enough

stratton's Tacoma Gallery
gas tank

Is that the original gas tank for the yota. I had a tank put in on my old truck and the guy installed the line wrong. He bent it up putting the tank on. So it said i had half a tank but i was actually empty. Maybe just the opposite happened to you. You may have the remaining few gallons in the tank but its reading that you are empty. HAHA i guess the only way to find out is to run it dry and then see how many gallons fit. Its only a tow truck call.