Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

This . . . right here . . . is my. . . truck

Old 11-14-2010, 08:54 AM   #21
mortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant future

Name: Michael
mortuusangelus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticTaco151 View Post
Everyone has their own opinion, and you will never be able to please all. So, do what you like, and that should be good enough. Good luck with your mods!
^^^ X2

Don't pay attention to people who call you a mall crawler. I've gotten that, even when my truck is covered in mud and dust. You can always put a locker in the rear and still go places that most other 4x4 mall hoppers couldn't touch, including the BIG curbs.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:58 AM   #22
4wd tacoma
trd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
trd7's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW nice tacoma
Old 11-14-2010, 09:07 AM   #23
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW. Like a few others have said, that's a nice clean looking truck. Should serve you well for a lot of years.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:19 AM   #24
Creeper
DanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Keith
DanglingFury's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortuusangelus View Post
^^^ X2

Don't pay attention to people who call you a mall crawler. I've gotten that, even when my truck is covered in mud and dust. You can always put a locker in the rear and still go places that most other 4x4 mall hoppers couldn't touch, including the BIG curbs.
thanks man, speaking of lockers . . . could point me in the right direction for something like that? who makes them? how much money we talkin?
Old 11-14-2010, 11:24 AM   #25
bishes love my haircut
Gr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Gr8WhiteTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Gr8WhiteTaco
Long travel it!! that would look mean welcome to TW bud
Old 11-14-2010, 11:33 AM   #26
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
05RedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by isu2014 View Post
Hate to say this, but in my opinion you shouldn't lift it and get plate bumpers. It would be definition of mall crawler. You won't be able to off-road in that (unless off-roading is a wet dirt road) so it will look like a poser truck. It looks good how it is, maybe just level the front up.
2wd truck with ARB air locker will go further than your 4x4 with open differentials
Old 11-14-2010, 01:06 PM   #27
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08WhiteTaco View Post
2wd truck with ARB air locker will go further than your 4x4 with open differentials
Good thing I have a locker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBarkNoBite View Post
thanks man, speaking of lockers . . . could point me in the right direction for something like that? who makes them? how much money we talkin?
They are about $870 on ebay for an arb air locker. I put one in my old 2wd taco for winter driving. Good solid unit.
I pride you for actually using a truck as a truck. Most people buy those little trucks because they are cheaper than 4wd, then think they are gonna make them off-road rigs. It just doesn't work. Even with the arb my old piece got stuck in stuff my new truck goes through like cake. Definitely get a good winch and upgrade your battery to handle it.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:14 PM   #28
jeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BM3 1st Div.
Name: Jeff
jeff b's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hate to say this, but in my opinion you shouldn't lift it and get plate bumpers. It would be definition of mall crawler. You won't be able to off-road in that (unless off-roading is a wet dirt road) so it will look like a poser truck. It looks good how it is, maybe just level the front up.
So you sayin all prerunner and 2 wheel drive trucks are poser and mall crawlers? lol....
Old 11-14-2010, 01:36 PM   #29
mortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant future

Name: Michael
mortuusangelus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
A lot of people are going to recommend ARB, which is an awesome locker. What it really comes down to is what you are looking for and can afford... do you want a selectable (like the ARB) or possibly a full-time (automatic or lunch-box type) locker. The selectable will reduce wear & tear on tires and drive-line components, but costs more money initially and more parts to break if you do manage to break it. The auto-lockers are cheaper (usually) but can chew up your tires quickly and put added stress on your drive train.

I happen to have the TRD Off-Road package on my truck, so I've got an electronic locker in the rear diff of my truck.. which right now is "permanently" locked because I believe the damned switch in the rear failed. (It won't disengage, so its fully locked all the time).. and it is chewing through my mud-terrains a bit more than I would like. But until I fix it.. that's how it stays.. doesn't get driven much anyway so it can wait for a bit.

Any which way, a locker WILL help a great deal with traction, 2WD or 4WD. A winch would not be a bad idea if you plan to get into rough stuff on your own.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:01 PM   #30
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff b View Post
So you sayin all prerunner and 2 wheel drive trucks are poser and mall crawlers? lol....
I'm saying a non-prerunner 2wd base model with car tires is a mall crawler if you try to make it look off-road. Don't get me wrong, I've seen prerunners do well off road. A truck that has one wheel drive and sits 6" off the ground won't go over rocks or through a class b road very well.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:14 PM   #32
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good, and you've already gotten the 'dog mod' for it!
Old 11-14-2010, 05:39 PM   #33
You're my boy blue
Blue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Dylan
Blue's Tacoma Gallery
hmm someone gave me neg rep for suggesting a relentless fab bumper
Old 11-14-2010, 05:50 PM   #34
me gusta pechos firmes
jivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jack MeHoff
jivewalker's Tacoma Gallery
Nice truck and welcome!
Old 11-14-2010, 06:20 PM   #35
Leadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Leadgolem's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
despite the fact that it's a 2wd, this truck does get used as a truck and will get used as a truck even more. You probably can't tell but about a month ago it was in a little less than a foot of mud. (yes it did get stuck, kind of.A heavier bumper would be a great place to mount a winch, yea?). besides, the closest mall to me is over 100 miles away. This truck gets use on construction sites and as a weekend hauler/support vehicle for the atv racing team i work with part time as well as a parts hauler to and from the parts house and machine shop when i need things for the drag car i'm building. The real mall crawlers are diesel trucks driven by acne-smitten kids who rely on their parents to pay for everything, smoke included.

not tryin to be a dick, i just don't want the first impression that people get of me to be that i'm a poser or what have you.

thanks.
Yeah, a plate bumper would be a good place to mount a winch. I do wish there was a reasonably priced brush guard with a winch mount. That would save some weight. x2 on the relentless fab bumpers. Relentless fab looks like the best plate style bumper available. Comparably priced to the ARB, and construction looks to be sturdier.

Make sure to take into account the additional weight of the front bumper when you do your lift. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...881s-882s.html

If those are the alloy wheels I'd just paint them if you want them black. Or, do the plastidip thing. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-opinions.html IMO, you should try to avoid adding extra rotational mass with relatively small engines.

EDIT: Welcome to TW.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:55 PM   #36
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
05RedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm saying a non-prerunner 2wd base model with car tires is a mall crawler if you try to make it look off-road. Don't get me wrong, I've seen prerunners do well off road. A truck that has one wheel drive and sits 6" off the ground won't go over rocks or through a class b road very well.
I just came home from off roading with my buddy. My little Taco didn't do bad at all... I still have the stock Dunlop Grandcrap tires with almost no thread left. We went through some rough spots where my truck had problems crawling, never got stuck though! When I knew I can't crawl through a spot, I reversed a bit, then gave it more gas. Momentum is important with 2wd open diff truck!

Having a selectable locker in the rear would made off roading much, much better. Now we are talking dry weather, in snow or mud off roading with 2wd truck, even with a locker is a whole another game.

Lastly, I agree with you. I see this all the time. Big trucks with 6" lift, yeah that high of a lift is completely unnecessary... For one it will increase dramatically you center of gravity, making your truck more prone to roll over and secondly it is not necessary for offrading! My 5lug with 3" lift did just fine off road, I had no ground clearance issues with stock tires and some rough terrain.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:56 PM   #37
Valdosta State University
Taco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Orrin
Taco GTR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i've just got the little 2.4 gets the job done though.
hey. ive got the 2.4. i love it more than the 2.7. for many reasons. but im a speed demon tho.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:09 PM   #39
"Change is inevitable, but growth is optional."
tacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
tacomarotto's Tacoma Gallery
shoot man.

give that bad boy a little lift and a locker!

i went wheeling with my buddy that has a lifted 4wd 4runner and i did everything he did, and plus one obstical he couldn't and i could! because of the locker.

2wds can be legit offroad vehicles too.

then throw a bumper on there.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:17 PM   #40
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
for 1st gens! Welcome.

And all Toys are tough...even 2wd's Just got to know your limits and your trucks limits and you'll do fine.