Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

elbow mod ridge style

Old 11-15-2010, 04:02 PM   #1
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
elbow mod ridge style

so I did the ol elbow mod. I did it a little differently. I disconnected the long tube from the fendermounted L-snorkel, then spun that L-snorkel around so that the intake hole faces down and slightly towards the nose of the truck in order to get a better gulp of air. Then I replugged the airbox back into the L-snorkel and rebolted it. As I did all this I had the POS side of the battery disconnected so as to reset the ECU. So far I notice a small gain in pickup during normal accelleration to 35-40MPH. That's it other than a little bit more intake sound. I am waiting to see overall difference as the ECU learns the change. I left the long tube inside the fender in case I want to change back-and because it is bolted to the wheelwell so no chance of rattle anyways. Just curious-the guys who did the elbow mod-how did you remove the L-snorkel from the fender? I couldn't get it out so I utilized it as it keeps the hot engine bay air away so all I get is cool air through the space between the bumper and headlight.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:04 PM   #2
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
Cool beans!
Old 11-15-2010, 04:16 PM   #3
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks
Old 11-15-2010, 06:07 PM   #4

Comon nobody??? What the hell?
Old 11-15-2010, 07:37 PM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Cool Frank! Did you take pics? ALso, I think you need to twist the elbow a certain way to pull it out.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaforlife View Post
cool, just gotta make sure you dont suck up other stuff besides air .
You are so right-believe me I thought about it but now it is no different than most vehicles out there,,,if you think about it our Tacomas with that long backwards snorkel were definately not the norm. The intake hole is positioned about 4" up from where any rainwater would be
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Cool Frank! Did you take pics? ALso, I think you need to twist the elbow a certain way to pull it out.
No pics I didn't figure it was worth it for such a small move but if anyone wants them I will put some here.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:52 PM   #8
tacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robbie
tacomaforlife's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=Ridgerunner;2392236]You are so right-believe me I thought about it but now it is no different than most vehicles out there,,,if you think about it our Tacomas with that long backwards snorkel were definately not the norm. The intake hole is positioned about 4" up from where any rainwater would be

well i think that anything is better than the factory snorkel horrible spot to me because my tires always trough stuff behind the splash guards and into the snorkel las time i checked mine it had all kinda crap in it
Old 11-16-2010, 06:23 PM   #9

[quote=tacomaforlife;2394683]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
You are so right-believe me I thought about it but now it is no different than most vehicles out there,,,if you think about it our Tacomas with that long backwards snorkel were definately not the norm. The intake hole is positioned about 4" up from where any rainwater would be

well i think that anything is better than the factory snorkel horrible spot to me because my tires always trough stuff behind the splash guards and into the snorkel las time i checked mine it had all kinda crap in it
Wow how do you check it-it is in a very tight spot! Yeah you're out there in mother nature giving her hell so you gonna manage to find stuff in unlikely places my truck lives a tame life except for the occasional onramp max throttle or bad rainstorms so I really have no worries.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:25 PM   #10
tacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shed

[QUOTE=Ridgerunner;2394876]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaforlife View Post
Wow how do you check it-it is in a very tight spot! Yeah you're out there in mother nature giving her hell so you gonna manage to find stuff in unlikely places my truck lives a tame life except for the occasional onramp max throttle or bad rainstorms so I really have no worries.
ha yea, last time i checked it was when i repainted the fender flares i pulled out the splash guards and looked at it.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:33 PM   #11

Man that would surprise the hell out of me if I made that discovery! Now I wonder how many offroaders have stuff restricting their 1st-gens' breather-no? That actually is something that you should post about in the 1st-gen forum one day. Truck missing? hesitating? losing power? CHECK THE MUD IN YER SNORKEL!!!!
Old 11-16-2010, 06:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Man that would surprise the hell out of me if I made that discovery! Now I wonder how many offroaders have stuff restricting their 1st-gens' breather-no? That actually is something that you should post about in the 1st-gen forum one day. Truck missing? hesitating? losing power? CHECK THE MUD IN YER SNORKEL!!!!
lol, i did the deck plate so i have a lot better air flow now.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:42 PM   #13
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

When I sunk my first genner (past the headlights, in soupy muddy water), After I took it apart, I only found mud about half way up the snorkle.....For its intended pupouse, I think its a good design.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
When I sunk my first genner (past the headlights, in soupy muddy water), After I took it apart, I only found mud about half way up the snorkle.....For its intended pupouse, I think its a good design.
true, not much else place to run it anyways.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:09 PM   #15

I want to update here-I found how to remove the elbow snorkel from the fender hole and I broke out the cutter and cut off about 3" of that elbow so it wouldn't hit the back of the side marker light, and it also allowed me to face the intake end more foreward towards the nose when I put it back in there. Now that elbow is getting a better shot of cool air coming between the top of the bumper and bottom of the headlight I am loving the results. The full throttle performance seems about the same BUT the regular around town type stuff takes a much less throttle! To me that is huge because less throttle means less fuel right? Plus there is more response as you get into the throttle a little which is nice. Another nice plus is when Rosie goes "did you modify your exhaust too because it sounds louder" The final bonus is I drove all day in rain doing our shopping and when I pulled the air filter, it-the airbox-and the elbow-all dry as a bone. YES
I also pulled that long tube out of the fender and MAN you cannot believe the SOOT that was all over that thing as well as some inside it! Well 10 years I guess. If anyone is interested I will take pics. If not-cool-I will enjoy it aaaaaaallll by myself!
Old 11-19-2010, 05:12 PM   #16

PICS!!!!!!!

Old 11-19-2010, 05:22 PM   #17
Nightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Felipe
Nightstr's Tacoma Gallery
^x2
Old 11-19-2010, 06:16 PM   #18

This is the elbow-the original length of the snorkel came to where my index finger is

This is how it will set inside the fender with the opening facing the front of the truck

as you can see it sits now opposite from original

sets very nicely that way

It now gets fresh air thru the gap here (and ambient in fender)

This is looking at intake from inside the airbox-as you can see it now gets a better dose of air

and the ECU learned this very quickly- my truck feels happier.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:43 PM   #19

Well done!
Old 11-19-2010, 08:26 PM   #20

Thanks Chris