Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Adding cruise control

Old 08-03-2008, 12:22 PM   #1
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
Adding cruise control

Does anyone know if the 02 prerunners were available with cruise control?

If it was, how hard would it be to remove everything from a wrecked one and put it on a good one that doesn't have it now?

If it wasn't are there years where it was that would fit the 02?

And failing all that, is there a decent aftermarket kit to add it to a vehicle that doesn't have it from the factory?
Old 08-04-2008, 08:12 PM   #2
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
Gonna try one bump....

I've been through at least a dozen vehicles in my driving life. Never had cruise in any of them. Now the rental car I have has it...and I'm hooked!
So really wanna try to get it on the truck.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:17 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
02 Prerunner did have cruise control as an option. How hard it is to install? Im not sure as I have never done it. It can be done, just get everything you can from the dover vehicle. Take pics of it before you take off the parts as it can be helpfull when installing the parts into your truck.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:38 AM   #4
Gravehunter is on a distinguished road
Gravehunter's Tacoma Gallery
I put one of these kits on my motorcycle and it works GREAT! You can find the kit for less than $100 online.
Maybe that would work?

http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/s...1067&langId=-1
Old 08-05-2008, 10:58 AM   #5
Eat My Dirt
Siafu is a jewel in the roughSiafu is a jewel in the roughSiafu is a jewel in the rough

Siafu's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerNameIsLucy View Post
Does anyone know if the 02 prerunners were available with cruise control?

If it was, how hard would it be to remove everything from a wrecked one and put it on a good one that doesn't have it now?

If it wasn't are there years where it was that would fit the 02?

And failing all that, is there a decent aftermarket kit to add it to a vehicle that doesn't have it from the factory?
a few hundred dollar option at your local dealer.
you can add cruise to anything.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:32 PM   #6

sweet...thanks all.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:52 AM   #7
Sign Guy will become famous soon enough
Name: Brian
Sign Guy's Tacoma Gallery
You ever find a factory cruise control to add to your rig? I'm thinking of doing the same thing and thought if you already did it you might have some tips.

Thanks
Brian in Everett
Old 04-14-2011, 08:02 PM   #8
Murrfk has a spectacular aura aboutMurrfk has a spectacular aura about
Murrfk's Tacoma Gallery
x3. I got a 96 without cruise and would like to add it. What options are there for adding cruise?
Old 04-14-2011, 10:15 PM   #9
It's true, I got my CC yesterday and installed the actuator, took photos but then got to the wiring and the dang instructions might as well been in Chinese I browsed the Toy manual trying to find the VSS wires and the tach wires and nothing was where it was supposed to be. I did get ahold of a guy from the manufacturer and he has me on the right path now and since I have an Automatic he said I don't have to hook up the tach wire - pretty cool! I wanted to get it done for a trip to Montana this weekend but I'll keep working on it next week and hopefully get something written up in a week or two with photos.

I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:19 AM   #10
Murrfk has a spectacular aura aboutMurrfk has a spectacular aura about
Murrfk's Tacoma Gallery
Are you using a Rostra 250-1223? Any other manufacturers available? Where is a good place to buy from?
Old 04-24-2011, 11:22 AM   #11
Talking

Got the cruise up and working yesterday - woohoo! It's the:
Rosta Universal Cruise Control 250-1223,
Switch 250-3742

I got them from http://cruisecontrolstore.com/ for $249.90 I did have a couple of issues and emailed Rostra and they responded the same day with some answers (very helpful). I did find one wire that was incorrectly label. I think the brake switch they had said use a green/red and mine was a green/yellow but overall it went good. I took a bunch of photos and will be making some revisions to how it's laid out but am happy overall.

Dang thing makes a funny noise when starting or changing speeds (probably the servo in the black box) but it's sure going to make the long drives nice.

I'll write up a report with photos sometime in the next week or two and put them up for everyone to see, ask, etc.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:13 PM   #13
markveneris is a jewel in the roughmarkveneris is a jewel in the roughmarkveneris is a jewel in the roughmarkveneris is a jewel in the rough
Marines:
Name: mark
markveneris's Tacoma Gallery
Any news on a write up on this. I am planning on doing some long distance driving soon and would love to see any lessons learned.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:55 PM   #14
ALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Andrew
ALawrence's Tacoma Gallery
i'm happier then a pig in shit that someones going to write this up... the biggest upset in me buying this truck was lack of cruise control!
Old 10-01-2011, 05:24 PM   #15
hulkit is on a distinguished road

hulkit's Tacoma Gallery
subbed cant wait for a writeup my 2k needs cruise and power steering LOL base model all the way modding it for life
Old 10-02-2011, 11:31 AM   #16
markveneris is a jewel in the roughmarkveneris is a jewel in the roughmarkveneris is a jewel in the roughmarkveneris is a jewel in the rough
Marines:
Name: mark
markveneris's Tacoma Gallery

Well when i get back to the statesthis is first on my list of things i will be doing.
I am looking into thread "Add Factory Cruise Control to your 1st GenTacoma" for some tips but more than likely will be going for the http://cruisecontrolstore.com/.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:30 PM   #17
Crap! I thought I wrote something up for this Thanks for reminding me. I'll get off my azz and get started. Here's a sample of what you need to do - LOL

I actually have a bunch of photos but will put together something and give you guys a link. It won't be today tho as I'm working on motorcycles and a variety of other projects but thanks for the kick in the pants.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:45 PM   #18
Trying to make me look bad? I created my own thread

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ml#post3104365

Enjoy!