Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

how do i know if i have passive anti-theft or not?

Old 11-19-2010, 02:20 PM   #1
tacod is on a distinguished road
Name: Dan
tacod's Tacoma Gallery
how do i know if i have passive anti-theft or not?

i have an '04 SR5,TRD that has keyless entry...but no alarm that i know of. how would i determine if i have a passive anti-theft device?

my insurance is asking...they say that "this type of system activates automatically when you turn the ignition key to the off position and disables the vehicle by making inoperative the fuel, ignition or starting system."

thanks in advance!!
Old 11-19-2010, 02:34 PM   #2
If you want it bad, you usually get it bad!
Mark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LCDR Mustang (Ret) - 30 yrs - Submarine and Target Service
Name: Mark
Mark C.'s Tacoma Gallery
I believe that if you provide the VIN to the insurance company, they can determine if the truck was originally sold with that option. If an after market passive system was installed, it will not show up during the VIN research.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:29 PM   #3
tacod's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark C. View Post
I believe that if you provide the VIN to the insurance company, they can determine if the truck was originally sold with that option. If an after market passive system was installed, it will not show up during the VIN research.
they have the vin, but have asked me this question. i don't know the answer...maybe i'll try toyota or the dealer...
Old 11-20-2010, 06:38 AM   #4
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
By keyless entry do you mean the little remote that locks and unlocks the vehicle?

Also if the ignition switch is in the off position isn't the fuel pump disabled, making the whole ball of was disabled?

One of my other vehicle's had a remote start that if left running and some one got in and put there foot on the brake, with out the key in the ignition, it shut down the vehicle until the ignition key was inserted, into the ignition.

I don't get it!
Old 11-20-2010, 10:51 AM   #5
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
There would be a chip in the key to disable the igniton. If it starts with an all metal key, it does not have passive security.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:09 AM   #6
Zork is a name known to allZork is a name known to allZork is a name known to allZork is a name known to allZork is a name known to allZork is a name known to all
Zork's Tacoma Gallery
Try this http://www.customtacos.com/tech/index.php?article=12 it worked for me.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:25 PM   #7
tacod's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by twfsa View Post
By keyless entry do you mean the little remote that locks and unlocks the vehicle?

Also if the ignition switch is in the off position isn't the fuel pump disabled, making the whole ball of was disabled?

One of my other vehicle's had a remote start that if left running and some one got in and put there foot on the brake, with out the key in the ignition, it shut down the vehicle until the ignition key was inserted, into the ignition.

I don't get it!
they are looking for some kind of "immobilizer" more powerful than the key...
Old 11-21-2010, 05:25 PM   #8
tacod's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
There would be a chip in the key to disable the igniton. If it starts with an all metal key, it does not have passive security.
got it...regular old keys work in mine. thx.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:26 PM   #9
tacod's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zork View Post
i may soon have passive security afterall...thx!!
Old 11-12-2012, 04:41 PM   #10
campotr is on a distinguished road
campotr's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2008 toyota tacoma, on the window it says: this vehicle is equiped with vehicle thief deterrent. Where is this thing at and how do I know I have it?