1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

squeaking noise over 30 mph when i let off accelerator?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by tacomasurftruck1, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Nov 19, 2010 at 9:34 PM
    tacomasurftruck1

tacomasurftruck1 [OP] New Member

Member:
    NOR*CAL
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5 TRD
    so i love my new tacoma ( at least its new to me!) but sometimes i get this squeak noise, and i cant tell exactly where its coming from, and it doesnt happen all the time. at first i thought it had something to do with the clutch , but then i decided that couldnt be the clutch because i hear it when i let off of the gas without touching the clutch, and then it goes away when i accelerate... and again it doesnt even happen all the time so its strange to me. i was wondering if anyone could help me out? im hoping that i just have to grease something. anything will help!
    thanks
    :confused:

2. Nov 19, 2010 at 10:41 PM
    01tacoprerunner

01tacoprerunner 01 4WD Prerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    01 4WD Prerunner
    Go under your truck and grease your drive shafts. I had the same problem, and make sure you actually get them greased, clean of the grease points before you grease them. There should be 6 on the back 2 piece drive shaft.
    And Idk how many on the front driveshaft.

3. Nov 27, 2010 at 10:23 AM
    tacomasurftruck1

Member:
    NOR*CAL
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5 TRD
    thanks alot! i bought a lucas oil grease gun and bought the correct grease cartridges for that gun, greased up all 6 grease points on my drive shaft and i have not heard the squeak come back yet! thanks for the simple fix solution, this website is great and i will be using it often to upgrade my truck!

-love my tacoma

4. Nov 27, 2010 at 11:13 AM
    ERIC

ERIC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Impulse Red TRD PreRunner SOLD
    Pioneer double din navi head unit and four 5x7 alpine speakers, westin light bar, procomp lights, head and tail lights, black billet grille, billet antienna, gibson headers and cat back exhaust, afe cold air, uni chip programmer, Bilstein 5100's, Pro comp wheels and tires, tint, blacked out emblems, innu roof rack, yakima basket, foglight mod...
    is that wat it is??? i thought my wheel bearings were going out! i have the EXACT same problem. tacomasurftruck1 how many miles do u have on your truck?

5. Dec 11, 2010 at 10:26 AM
    heshdog

heshdog skating, music

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma Pre-runner TRD 2x4
    i have what i think is the same problem..just started yesterday but 40mph..When i step on the gas a strange squeek also happens when i let of the gas pedal...but it only happen at around 40mph??? could my gas pedal be bad?

6. Dec 12, 2010 at 7:08 PM
    arizonataco

arizonataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix Arizona
    Firestone Airbags ARE Camper Shell
    I have to interject here.

Most oil & lube facilities (dealers included) DO NOT LUBE your drive line U-joints and Etc.

You MUST request they lube all greasable points and then CHECK THEIR WORK.
    Pardon me for yelling but this is one of the most under performed service that never gets done and they LIE about it the most often.
    I don't understand WHY facilities will not honestly perform the work you pay for and request.

I am still young enough to do my own LUBE and oil changes so I know that everything is lubed properly.

I have had Ford,Kia, Toyota and Chevrolet dealers say they lubed everything and DID NOT.

I know the small print is (when applicable) is in the fine print but I have seen true negligence in this area for years.

I have heard nightmare stories of Lube Techs leaving the oil plug out,
    forget to add oil and start the engine and a host of other problems they cause and the dealer or repair facility defends the employee.

Any Lube Techs out there have anything to say in their defense?

You MUST request they lube all grease-able points and then CHECK THEIR WORK or do it yourself.

7. Dec 21, 2010 at 9:45 AM
    tacomasurftruck1

Member:
    NOR*CAL
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5 TRD
    my tacoma has 125,XXX miles and running strong as ever!

8. Dec 21, 2010 at 9:45 AM
    tacomasurftruck1

Member:
    NOR*CAL
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5 TRD
    heshdog just try greasing the rive shaft first. solved my squeak problem instantly.

9. Dec 17, 2014 at 7:19 PM
    siKjiTz

siKjiTz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD Sport Inferno
    TUNED 2.0 Beta 87 Eibach Pro Truck Lift Kit Stage 1 Wheelers 1.5” Progressive AAL Level 8 MK6 17x8 Falken Wildpeaks 265/70/17” Redline Tuning Hood struts Matt Gecko LED Bed lights OEM Roof racks GoRhino RB20 Running boards A/C drain Mod Kicker speaker upgrade w/kicker key amp. MESO Stage 1 Tail light upgrade OEM Bed Mat
    This is what I LOVE about TW. I had this happen to me on my 04' Tacoma I just got a month ago. It's an annoying sound and I was like that's a bitch! But I Googled it and it led me to a TW thread and BANGO!!! Problem fixed!!!! Thank you to all who participate in this forum. Much love from the ALOHA STATE!!!

10. Dec 18, 2014 at 3:21 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Exactly how young to still be able to do on your own ?? (reason I ask is if I'm too old , I'm going to stop.....j/k)

Agreed, if one has any mech. ability at all they should do all the driveline lubricating themselves, I've only had it done once by a shop & that was right after I bought my truck, crawled underneath it before I left & jumped their shit for not doing the front shaft yoke/Ujoints, it DID net me a refund & free lube but it shouldn't have happened in the first place..

Products Discussed in

To Top