1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to tell if you got Genuine Toyota Head Gaskets?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by tacopyro, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Nov 20, 2010 at 1:05 AM
    tacopyro

tacopyro [OP] Forever learning...

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    01 Taco Pre SR5 V6 - 4WD
    Roll n Lock Cover and Stainless Step sides. New Mods. AFE Air Filter, PS Mag-Filter, Bilstein HD rear and 5100s Front. Michelins LTX MS2. Taurus E-Fan with FK50. Tundra Brake Upgrade. External Tranny Cooler. HO-Alt CS144 Mod, OMD Leaf Springs. Bull Bar. 4WD VF3AM Transfer Case, ADD/Manual Hubs. Supercharger with URD 7th injector. 4wd conversion complete Future Mods. rear sway bar, box the rear frame. I Love my Taco!
    Hi All!

I did a search using "Genuine head gaskets" and 3 unrelated threads came up... anyway...

As some might know, My Head Gasket on my 3RZ blew and I'm in the process of replacing it. Finding out that the Head Gasket will cost a 100bucks, I decided to check out craigslist. I found one Armenian guy selling his 8 year old Complete Gasket Overhaul kit from his 4runner, it was opened but had the toyota sticker on it with numbers 04111-75171 and against my better judgement, I bought it.

Now I sit here typing this coz as i inspected the package, I couldnt find any marks that would indicate if the package was genuine Toyota. inside the package (it was a cardboard sheet with plastic wrapping) there were 2 packets, one packet contained a bunch of misc gaskets and seals, another one contains valve seals and main seals. there was the head gasket, 8 port intake gasket and 4 port metal exhaust gasket. ( i have a 4 port intake)

I did see the valve seals and the main seals have NOK on them. I googled that out and it indicated a Japan based gasket maker. so i'm hoping that its going to be ok.

funny there were two sets of sparkplug hole seals and one was NOK and the other was KoyoCR brand which is made in China.... and the koyoCR brand was in the other packet that had all the other misc gaskets...

but after talking with the machine shop expert (Hollywood Machine Shop in Pasadena) he said if i plan to keep the truck a while i might as well make sure to get genuine toyota parts. and i think i agree. theres a lot of work and expense involved in taking the head off and i dont want to be doing it again in 5 years or less...

anyway to cut this short, and for the benefit of everyone here. I just wondered.. How do i tell if i got a GENUINE Toyota gasket or not? is there a stamp? seal? marking of some sort? if anyone has any knowledge. please share them and if possible, put some pics in too.

I'll be buying from the dealer and I'll put up some comparison pics later.

Thank You!

CK

Products Discussed in

To Top