Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Front Driveale, CV boot leaks

Old 11-21-2010, 02:49 PM   #1
Lawman has a brilliant futureLawman has a brilliant futureLawman has a brilliant futureLawman has a brilliant futureLawman has a brilliant futureLawman has a brilliant futureLawman has a brilliant futureLawman has a brilliant futureLawman has a brilliant futureLawman has a brilliant futureLawman has a brilliant future

Name: Chris
Lawman's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy Front Driveale, CV boot leaks

I have a 2001 with leak in he front driveaxle, CV Boots. Does anyone have and good suggestions on fixing this?

Complete replacement?

Tear down and rebuild?

Write a check to get someone else deal with it?

I am open to ideas and also where to purchase the parts, etc. Im located in Jacksonville, FL if you are local and know a good shop.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:50 PM   #2
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
just the rubber boot?
Old 11-21-2010, 02:54 PM   #3
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
It will be easiest to replace the whole thing but you can just replace the boots, that requires a lot more work though.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:04 PM   #4
Lawman has a brilliant futureLawman has a brilliant futureLawman has a brilliant futureLawman has a brilliant futureLawman has a brilliant futureLawman has a brilliant futureLawman has a brilliant futureLawman has a brilliant futureLawman has a brilliant futureLawman has a brilliant futureLawman has a brilliant future

Name: Chris
Lawman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
just the rubber boot?
Yea its just the rubber boot. I've been looking around and it seem like a bunch of work to break it down and repair, but I have not done it, so im open
Old 11-21-2010, 03:16 PM   #5
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
You need a tool to put on the lock ring. Clean and inspect before regreasing. You should be able to replace the boot without pulling out the shaft from the trans.
If everything inside looks good, ie, old grease not full of grit, water and other junk, no signs of overheating, cracks, chips, etc. It's worth it to just replace the boot. Just make sure you have quick access to a new shaft if you need it, and some diff lube and a new shaft seal.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:29 AM   #6
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
We used to take our Honda over to the local House of Mufflers and brakes and they would replace the outer boot for $65 +tax it wasn't worth messing with for that!
Old 11-22-2010, 09:31 AM   #7
Southern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
Southern01Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Just replace the whole axle. It is way easier. When I did mine I followed this write-up and it made the process go a lot quicker. click here
Old 11-22-2010, 10:27 AM   #8
Got Beer?
BeerHat will become famous soon enoughBeerHat will become famous soon enough

BeerHat's Tacoma Gallery
I just had this happen with mine. I got a set of o'reilly masterpro full axle assemblies; both for around $150 shipped to the door. It took 30 minutes to swap them out. Get a cv boot kit from trdparts4u.com or some place similar and repair the boots while the oem cv's are on the bench; much easier. It is also nice because you have 2 spares now.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:00 AM   #9
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
If some grease is just squeezing out the end of the boot. Then just wipe off the excess and don't worry about it. If the boot actually has a tear or hole in it, then you may want to consider replacing them sometime in the near future.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:35 PM   #10
GOLFMAN845 has a spectacular aura aboutGOLFMAN845 has a spectacular aura aboutGOLFMAN845 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Nic
GOLFMAN845's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaDan View Post
If some grease is just squeezing out the end of the boot. Then just wipe off the excess and don't worry about it. If the boot actually has a tear or hole in it, then you may want to consider replacing them sometime in the near future.
What do you think of about this?
Passenger Side CV

Passenger Inner /Upper Boot (even more Grease coming out now)

Drivers Side CV

Inner /Upper Boot
Old 12-23-2010, 08:54 PM   #11
CdnSldr is on a distinguished road
Army: Vehicle Tech. CPL, Maint. Coy, 18 Service Battalion
Name: Josh
CdnSldr's Tacoma Gallery
That doesnt look bad at all. Just a little extra grease that is being pushed out. If you are really anal I guess you could replace the clamps, but that does require a special tool to crimp the new clamps. Other than that just clean off the grease, make sure there are no actual tears and forget about it
Old 12-24-2010, 11:09 AM   #12
BoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alex
BoostingMS6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerHat View Post
I just had this happen with mine. I got a set of o'reilly masterpro full axle assemblies; both for around $150 shipped to the door. It took 30 minutes to swap them out. Get a cv boot kit from trdparts4u.com or some place similar and repair the boots while the oem cv's are on the bench; much easier. It is also nice because you have 2 spares now.
If and when you do ever replace, I suggest this route, too. You can also get some at Autozone. I got mine for $150 each, but they have lifetime warranties and you get $100 back for bringing in your old ones. So in the end, each CV half axle costs a one time fee of $50 to replace, and it doesn't take long. If its your first time tearing it all apart, it'll probably take you a while, and the cone washers may be a pain.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:46 PM   #13
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

If grease can get out, water can get in. Grease is not a sealant. Time for an inspection and new boot, if the axle is still good.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:35 PM   #14
Can you skin Grizz, pilgram?
tacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
tacomakid96's Tacoma Gallery
I just looked at my truck and its got greese everywhere from the cv, its not torn but the bottom by where the clamp is, is where the greese is coming from. Im all for letting it leak for now but what happens when there is no more greese to leak?
Old 12-26-2010, 12:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomakid96 View Post
I just looked at my truck and its got greese everywhere from the cv, its not torn but the bottom by where the clamp is, is where the greese is coming from. Im all for letting it leak for now but what happens when there is no more greese to leak?
One of two things: overheat and failure, or wear out and failure. It depends on what contamination is getting in.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:20 PM   #16
tacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Well I just realized it today and I have been on some hunting trips in some pretty nasty places so im sure there's all sorts of contamination. Im just gonna replace the whole cv axle, Is there any axle that you guys recommend?
Old 12-26-2010, 04:29 PM   #17
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Phil,Phil,Phil.....

What you think is gonna happen when the grease is gone & all thats left for lube is dirt & mud ?? C'mon buddy I know I learnt you better than that

Hey Phil get some axles bro'.. they're actually not that expensive I did both sides for less than $200
Old 12-26-2010, 05:39 PM   #18

Hahaha I know doug, I wasn't thinking! I'm going to just do it myself. What axle brand do you guys recommend?
Old 12-26-2010, 07:19 PM   #19
To secure peace, is to prepare for war
TacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacomaJPP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hahaha I know doug, I wasn't thinking! I'm going to just do it myself. What axle brand do you guys recommend?
Some guys will recommend AutoZone or O'Reilly's, but to me, you can't beat the dependability and quality of genuine Toyota parts. For me, the extra coin is worth the peace of mind.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0
Old 12-26-2010, 07:31 PM   #20
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I'd go OEM if you can afford it but some decent rebuilt ones are ok too

& you'll save a few $$$