1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Clutch

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by ricktaco, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Nov 25, 2010 at 8:56 PM
    ricktaco

ricktaco [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 4x4
    Few weeks ago I started noticing my clutch slipping when going uphills. Really only when I gave it a good amount of gas. But it would slip bad. So, took it in last week and got a new clutch put in. Flywheel turned, new throw out bearing, pressure plate and of course the clutch itself. While I was there, had them replace the rear seal. Ouch... $850... Don't have the time or the determination to do it myself.

Went to pick up the truck nearly put my foot through the floor when I stepped on the clutch. Thought that was odd... Stalled it 3 times before I even got out of the driveway. Wow.. Going to have to learn how to drive this thing all over again.

Shift points are quite a bit different now also. I use to get the RPM's up to about 2200 before I shifted. No problem, everything was nice and smooth. Shifted into 5th at around 50 mph. With the new clutch, I have to take it to nearly 3000 rpm or it boggs down. I also don't shift into 5th until around 65 mph now. Haven't tested 4x4 yet...

That old clutch must have really been slipping. Wonder if this will help with gas mileage...

Thought I'd share. Was an expensive and necessary repair and so far I'm glad I've done it.

2. Nov 25, 2010 at 10:23 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Yep, isn't it strange to push in a clutch the way they are when new & everything is right, bet it releases close to the floor too, better mileage coming your way....;)

3. Nov 25, 2010 at 10:30 PM
    Mr.Fahrenheit

Mr.Fahrenheit Dennis = sinneD

Member:
    American Canyon, California
    Vehicle:
    01 Taco 3.4L 5spd TRD
    K&N CAI, HUSKY LINERS, LOW PRO TOOL BOX, GRAY WIRE MOD, OPTIMA RED TOP, GOODRIDGE STEEL BRAKE LINES, FAB TECH LIFT,
    hmm....was you rear seal leaking? and what brand clutch kit you use?

4. Nov 25, 2010 at 11:02 PM
    '02TRD

'02TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma Xtra Cab 4x4 SR5 TRD
    Billstein 5100's & AAL, 285/75R16 Toyo Open Country M/Ts on Black 16x8 Raceline Renegades, Pro-Tech Toolbox, Wet Okole covers, K&N air filter, Tow package, Alpine digital media receiver, Kenwood Amp, Rockford Fosgate 10" sub, Cobra 75 hand held CB, front differential drop
    $850 for a clutch and rear seal? WOW!!! I'm getting close to needing a new clutch as well, but think I'll be dong it myself.

5. Nov 26, 2010 at 9:39 AM
    ricktaco

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 4x4
    Yeah, it sure does. About 2 inches from the floor. This is why I kept stalling it. I'm use to the clutch engaging about half way up. Hope I do get better mileage. I'll keep track of it and post it here.

6. Nov 26, 2010 at 9:41 AM
    ricktaco

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 4x4
    Not sure if it was or not, but figured since the transmission is out, might as well. Would suck to have to drop it again just to replace it.

I really don't know. I guess I should have asked that. Told them I wanted to go back with the stock OEM clutch. I don't do much off roading.

7. Nov 26, 2010 at 9:45 AM
    ricktaco

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 4x4
    Yeah and this was after shopping around. It wasn't the cheapest, but this particular company had some good reviews.

I really struggled with this and finally decided that my time was worth more than what I would have saved by doing it myself. Plus I wanted to make damn sure it was done right.

8. Nov 28, 2010 at 11:24 PM
    cruxofthebisquit

cruxofthebisquit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Orange Texas
    Vehicle:
    2000 TRD
    OME and worth every penny.
    I think I'll stick to having mine rebuilt at the area clutch place for $89 w new t/o bearing. Then using a Sat. afternoon to change it. Sorry just seems wayy expensive to have done.

Products Discussed in

To Top