Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

bfg mud terrians?

Old 11-27-2010, 12:13 PM   #1
mcguire is on a distinguished road

Name: andrew
mcguire's Tacoma Gallery
bfg mud terrians?

Just curious if anyone is running these tires? I want them for the snow. Was thinklin about gettin 33x10.5. i have 33x12.5 now, we just got our first snow and they act like skis.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:24 PM   #2
Young Taco
floger70 is on a distinguished road
Name: Brett
floger70's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to floger70
great tire. horrible in the snow as most mud tires are. especially on ice. if you want a good tire for all around the bf goodrich all terrains are pretty good. so are the general grabber a/t. very similar tire but work good in mud, snow, ice, everything,
Old 11-27-2010, 11:32 PM   #3
Nick_Taco is a glorious beacon of lightNick_Taco is a glorious beacon of lightNick_Taco is a glorious beacon of lightNick_Taco is a glorious beacon of lightNick_Taco is a glorious beacon of lightNick_Taco is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Nick
Nick_Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by floger70 View Post
great tire. horrible in the snow as most mud tires are. especially on ice. if you want a good tire for all around the bf goodrich all terrains are pretty good. so are the general grabber a/t. very similar tire but work good in mud, snow, ice, everything,
i wouldnt say that either of those ATs are good in mud
Old 11-27-2010, 11:36 PM   #4
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
I live in socal and dont really have to worry about ish like that but if I lived in an area where snow played a big role in my daily winter life, I would throw some studded snows on during the winter and have a set of summer tires for the rest of the yr.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:39 PM   #5
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_Taco View Post
i wouldnt say that either of those ATs are good in mud
bfg all terrains are snow rated... its not easy to get that qualification so they have to do ok...

although, duratracs, bfg commercial traction t/a, Goodyear silent armor are way better a/ts in snow and work pretty good offroad
Old 11-27-2010, 11:42 PM   #6
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
BFG A/Ts suck in mud, ask me how I know

BFG M/Ts are wonderfull, one of my favorite tires. They only make it in one size now though and that is a 255,85,17
the km1s? 255/75R17 i thought
Old 11-27-2010, 11:46 PM   #7

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
BFG AT's are great in snow, mud, not so much.

Might be the driver but I have out proformed Tacos with the duratracs. They don't air down as well as the BFGs.

the op just asked about snow...

hard to beat the duratracs in snow...

for mud and rocks/ general offroading i plan on getting 255/85 16 cooper stt. They remind me alot of the old MTRs and those babies rocked in all situations...
Old 11-28-2010, 12:05 AM   #8
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BrettBretterson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguire View Post
Just curious if anyone is running these tires? I want them for the snow. Was thinklin about gettin 33x10.5. i have 33x12.5 now, we just got our first snow and they act like skis.
Definitely not a snow tire, as many have said...unless you're wheeling in deep snow, then a 33x10.50 would be great. But it sounds like you're driving in normal snowy road conditions, which no M/T will be good for.

If your primary concern is snowy roads, Duratrac's or BFG AT's.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:03 AM   #9
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Grabber at2's are awesome in snow and cost less than bfg. Last long too. They load up in mud and don't clear well. That goes for most at's though.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:53 AM   #10
Mod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Mod's Tacoma Gallery
BFG AT's for the snow. Awesome snow tread blocks,,just looking at them you can see that.

My last set of 30x9.50's went 96,000 miles.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:13 AM   #11
Lube: It's the key to penetration.
STLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Charlotte VRS: EMT/Driver
Name: Harry
STLharry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Mine lasted 30,000
Mine have gone 20k and their tread looks practically brand new.

Also, you could get MTs or KM2s and sipe them if you wanted...I have read that helps. I have not had to do it b.c I run ATs in the winter and MTs in the summer.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:20 AM   #12
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
ATs for snow...MTs might work if you had them siped, but otherwise you're gonna be at a disadvantage.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:36 AM   #13
mcguire is on a distinguished road

Name: andrew
mcguire's Tacoma Gallery
thank you everyone for the grerat info. Il have to see what i can find, we get some crazy winters here!
Old 11-28-2010, 08:51 AM   #14
kieth is on a distinguished road
kieth's Tacoma Gallery
BFG all terrains are terrible in all conditions, especially off road and in the mud. Ive got dick cepek fc 2s and i live in bc canada, and they are doing really good in the snow and ice and they are awesome in the mud and rocks.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:09 AM   #15
Poodoo
luk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieth View Post
BFG all terrains are terrible in all conditions, especially off road and in the mud for me. Ive got dick cepek fc 2s and i live in bc canada, and they are doing really good in the snow and ice and they are awesome in the mud and rocks.

Not entirely correct. I have never had an issue offroading with them. Tennessee Rocks, Arkansas Rocks, Louisiana Mud, Texas Mud, Alabama Mud. All of these places and no issue unless it was human error. Are they the best tire I have ever, nope but they certainly aren't the worst.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:14 AM   #16
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
I've had many sets of BFG A/T's over the years. For general driving on roads with snow/ice and light offroading they perform very well. I've made many ski trips in the Pacific Northwest and Rockies with them and never had an issue. Most sets lasted me around 70,000 miles. As far as mud terrain's I'm sure their great while offroading in mud and deep snow but for general road conditions not the best choice-especially for ice...can be dangerous from what I've read.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:25 AM   #17
czenkov is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
czenkov's Tacoma Gallery
I had KM2's on my '04 Tacoma and thought they did quite well off-road in deep snow. They did transmit vibrations throughout the truck a good amount on road though. Have switched to AT's and the vibration is minimal/non-existent now.

For the record I was "rescuing" the Series Rover - it was breaking trail. We almost switched to my Tacoma to break trail as it was doing so well in the deep snow/mud combo but realized there would be no one to rescue me. We turned around shortly after this point when the snow depth doubled and the day warmed enough that the trucks weren't floating anymore.

I like the KM2's - they are on the Defender now.
Attached Thumbnails
bfg mud terrians?-4439110179_ff14889698.jpg  
Old 11-29-2010, 05:54 PM   #18
kieth is on a distinguished road
kieth's Tacoma Gallery
they clog up with mud instantly and they turn into slicks
Old 11-30-2010, 10:15 AM   #19
Mod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Mod's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieth View Post
they clog up with mud instantly and they turn into slicks
Yeah, don't take BFG mud terrains out in the mud, they load up and are done as far as traction.

Gateway Buckshot Mudders,,bias ply!!. just keeps rollin. Had a set of K-15's on my old 85 xtra cab, and stupidly sold them. best tire for the mud.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:18 AM   #20
We are insignificantly importnant in this universe
Codystauffer is on a distinguished road
Name: Cody
Codystauffer's Tacoma Gallery
i have brand new BFG mud terrains 32's, they are great in the mud, and in the snow. I reccomended them to my friend for his 86 Runner, and theyve never failed either of us