Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

location for block heater?

Old 11-28-2010, 03:41 PM   #1
northpoletacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: dewilde
northpoletacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Question location for block heater?

Does anyone know which freeze plug to put a block heater in a 2002 3.4L tacoma?
Old 11-28-2010, 07:26 PM   #2
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
What about useing a lower radiator hose heater, instead. Less likely to leak and if so an easier fix.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:31 PM   #3
Project.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Project.paradigm's Tacoma Gallery
Another option is to get a magnetic block heater. They're great because you can put them on your oil pan. I'd rather have warm oil than warm coolant if i had to choose one. A guy can always add more than one if want, one on the oil pan and one on the side of the block.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:19 PM   #4
crazyasu45 is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
crazyasu45's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by northpoletacoma View Post
Does anyone know which freeze plug to put a block heater in a 2002 3.4L tacoma?
directly above the engine oil cooler...
Attached Thumbnails
location for block heater?-dsc03087.jpg  
Old 11-28-2010, 08:25 PM   #5
crazyasu45 is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
crazyasu45's Tacoma Gallery
My block heater fell out...I was lucky I noticed the steam and pulled over right away before all the coolant drained and my engine overheated...
Old 11-28-2010, 08:26 PM   #6
roughnready62 is on a distinguished road
Army: Military Police Platoon leader, Arctic MP
roughnready62's Tacoma Gallery
I've seen block heaters put in different frost plugs, I personally chose the one easiest to access (through the wheel well drivers side). I also put a pad heater on my oil pan, as well as underneath the battery. I used RTV and duct tape to secure the pad heater to the oil pan (worked like a champ).

If you are running on temps into the negatives, I would spring for oilpan, transmission, block, and battery heaters (I live in Fairbanks, and that's pretty much the standard install up here).

I've also seen guys hook up trickle chargers to their batteries as well, and yea it's needed when the temp dips below -40

Hope this helped.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:00 PM   #7
northpoletacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: dewilde
northpoletacoma's Tacoma Gallery
to block heater responses

Thanks for the info. I bought this truck in anch, where it was babied in a garage and warm anch weather. I intend to put this truck to the test in the cold cruel world of North Pole and plug it in outside like a real truck. I've already installed an oil pan heater and a battery trickle charger. Now it seems the best advice to go through the wheel well for a block heater. Access is certianly the issue. In regards to a circulating heater in line with the cooant hoses, I think that it would use more electricity. It would probably work best with a timer.