1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

location for block heater?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by northpoletacoma, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Nov 28, 2010 at 3:41 PM
    northpoletacoma

northpoletacoma [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    dewilde
    North Pole, Ak
    Vehicle:
    sr5
    Does anyone know which freeze plug to put a block heater in a 2002 3.4L tacoma?

2. Nov 28, 2010 at 7:26 PM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    What about useing a lower radiator hose heater, instead. Less likely to leak and if so an easier fix.

3. Nov 28, 2010 at 7:31 PM
    Project.paradigm

Project.paradigm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oil Country,Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4 Dub cab
    Airlift rear air bags. Hood struts. sockmonkey bedside decal. TRD supercharger(not installed). Deckplate. Grey wire mod. Extended rear diff breather. 6000k HIDS. 18"Magnaflow. Truxxx 3" level kit. (Temporary) Wet Okole seat covers. BoxRocket bed rack. Bora 0.75 wheel spacers All pro sliders. BAMF BPV. B&M trans cooler.
    Another option is to get a magnetic block heater. They're great because you can put them on your oil pan. I'd rather have warm oil than warm coolant if i had to choose one. A guy can always add more than one if want, one on the oil pan and one on the side of the block.

4. Nov 28, 2010 at 8:19 PM
    crazyasu45

crazyasu45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB 4X4 TRD SPORT
    3" SUSPENSION LIFT
    directly above the engine oil cooler...

DSC03087.jpg

5. Nov 28, 2010 at 8:25 PM
    crazyasu45

crazyasu45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB 4X4 TRD SPORT
    3" SUSPENSION LIFT
    My block heater fell out...I was lucky I noticed the steam and pulled over right away before all the coolant drained and my engine overheated...

6. Nov 28, 2010 at 8:26 PM
    roughnready62

roughnready62 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    02 SR5
    K&N Intake SoftTopper
    I've seen block heaters put in different frost plugs, I personally chose the one easiest to access (through the wheel well drivers side). I also put a pad heater on my oil pan, as well as underneath the battery. I used RTV and duct tape to secure the pad heater to the oil pan (worked like a champ).

If you are running on temps into the negatives, I would spring for oilpan, transmission, block, and battery heaters (I live in Fairbanks, and that's pretty much the standard install up here).

I've also seen guys hook up trickle chargers to their batteries as well, and yea it's needed when the temp dips below -40

Hope this helped.

TobiTaco likes this.
  7. Nov 28, 2010 at 10:00 PM
    northpoletacoma

northpoletacoma [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    dewilde
    North Pole, Ak
    Vehicle:
    sr5
    Thanks for the info. I bought this truck in anch, where it was babied in a garage and warm anch weather. I intend to put this truck to the test in the cold cruel world of North Pole and plug it in outside like a real truck. I've already installed an oil pan heater and a battery trickle charger. Now it seems the best advice to go through the wheel well for a block heater. Access is certianly the issue. In regards to a circulating heater in line with the cooant hoses, I think that it would use more electricity. It would probably work best with a timer.

Products Discussed in

To Top