1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tundra Brake Upgrade Issues

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Abes, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Nov 29, 2010 at 11:10 AM
    Abes

Abes [OP] Member

Member:
    Miami
    Vehicle:
    '03 4x4 Tacoma
    I just finished the Tundra front brake upgrade on my truck (’03 DC 4x4 stock 16’’wheels and tires) but something doesn’t feel right. My brakes worked perfect prior to the swap but I needed to have a bit more stopping power because I pull my boat with my truck.

I replaced the pads, rotors (cleaned prior to install) and calipers as stated in the hundreds of threads and I can’t figure out what went wrong.

1-My pedal is now sticking way up top when you first press on the pedal kind of like its getting caught on something.
    2- The pedal needs to be pressed further into the swing to get it to actually begin to stop and uses more travel to come to a complete stop
    3- Finally I feel like it stopped better with the stock set up as it doesn’t come to an abrupt stop. It slows down pretty good but not what I expected. It definitely will not lock up (or sputter) it slows down rapidly.

I’ve bled all four corners 3 times (the fluid barely leaked from the lines during the procedure because they were immediately clamped) I also removed the Master cylinder and bench bled it just in case however the fluid never came close to empty. The piston sled smooth in and out during the bench bleeding. I re-installed it and bled all four again and nothing.

I drove it for about 100 miles to let everything set in but no change. I drove it through a gravel road and slammed on the braked to make sure the abs was working, (which it was) hoping to maybe release any air that maybe caught in the abs system. No difference.

The only thing I can think of is maybe the drilling of the banjo bolts may have an affect on the system but even then no one else has ever mentioned of any sort of change.
    Brake Booster??? Air in the ABS system????

I don’t know what else to do….

2. Nov 30, 2010 at 11:41 AM
    Abes

Abes [OP] Member

Member:
    Miami
    Vehicle:
    '03 4x4 Tacoma
    Anyone with any ideas??

3. Nov 30, 2010 at 4:39 PM
    StAndrew

StAndrew Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.
    Do you have ABS? Maybe the computer is confused with the new setup? If you can easily and safely disable ABS, try that and see what happens.

Products Discussed in

To Top