1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Defrost without A/C mod

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by MowTaco, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Dec 8, 2010 at 8:10 PM
    MowTaco

MowTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    Please read the post above yours. I'm done explaining this

2. Dec 8, 2010 at 8:25 PM
    shampoop

shampoop Well-Known Member

Member:
    southwest WA
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma extracab v6 auto trd offroad 4x4
    :confused: the one that says that defrost sucks nuts without the compressor running?

3. Dec 8, 2010 at 8:31 PM
    Noslo28

Noslo28 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    McCleary, WA
    Vehicle:
    00' tacoma
    3" lift, cold air Intake, TRD throttle body spacer, ARB front bumper, winch, wet oakle seat covers, Clear coners, Clear Tail lights
    Are we sure the idle isn't going down because you just turned on the blower under that dash for the defroster? I have a 2000 taco and I'm pretty sure my a/c compressor don't run when I have the defroster on. Assuming that's why I can turn it off or on with the push of a button.

4. Dec 8, 2010 at 10:25 PM
    shampoop

shampoop Well-Known Member

Member:
    southwest WA
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma extracab v6 auto trd offroad 4x4
    every car with a/c turns on the compressor with defrost. Most of the newer style compressors are very smooth and very often you can't even tell when it kicks on and off. What also helps is some cars automatically raise the idle speed a tiny bit right as the compressor turns on to so that the rpm doesn't drop at all.

5. Dec 9, 2010 at 5:17 AM
    derekp

derekp giddy up!

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Grand Forks, ND
    Vehicle:
    2001 X-Cab 4x4 TRD V6 5Spd
    Deck plate, Flowmaster Delta-Flow 40 series, 265/75-16 Wrangler TDs, more to come...
    And that works for rain...
    When it is single digit temps outside, having only warm air blowing on the windshield is a great help in defrosting. Being able to disable the A/C temporarily allows warmer air to flow to the windshield.

As stated before, one of the great things about this mod is the other function still works. If you are facing rain and foggy windows, flip the switch one click over...frosty windows, another click. TOO easy.
    Another great thing is, you DON'T HAVE TO DO IT!!!!!!

What is the difficult part here? :confused:

6. Dec 9, 2010 at 6:45 AM
    xsvtoyz

xsvtoyz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AL
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    03 Pre-Runner Inprogress
    HID (ACA)/ Web cams/ Header/Full Custom exhaust/ K&N FIPK II/SuperCharger
    this mod is awesome and I have had it done since it first ran on ttora
    yes defog will suck with out the compressor but here its 17º and all I need is the heat to get rid of the ice on the window and keep it off, there is no fog on it just freakin cold and as long as I keep it warm I have good vision. running the compressor when its 17º is ludicrous and kills mpg for no reason. I can run the compressor on the fog days and keep the system lubed just fine.
    for the whiners just say no and let it be but its my damn truck and I like the mod the same people probably bitch that the turbo is so much better than the supercharger I have yet they are stock under the hood. there are pro's and cons to every mod so do what you like and let it be

7. Dec 9, 2010 at 7:48 AM
    MowTaco

MowTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    You left the part out about "still a great mod for drier days" and how it is "no harm no foul"

8. Dec 9, 2010 at 1:49 PM
    Cr250jumper

Cr250jumper Señor member

Member:
    The moon
    Vehicle:
    50 shades of tan©
    Tacoma with some stuff melted to it

I live in AZ where humidity pretty much doesnt exist. I like to use my defrost setting just as a way to heat/cool the truck without the vents blowing in my face. So when im using it for heat it would be a great option for me to be able to NOT use the AC.

As for number 3 how do you usually heat your truck? I mean not on defrost but just coming throught the vents heat for yourself. Do you turn on the ac so it doesnt get "stuffy"? lol

As for number 4 it may devalue the dealer that has to try to sell it to a person. But do you really think the dealership would notice that on trade in? When I traded in my exploder they didnt even notice the AC blend door didnt even function anymore. You had to reach inside the glovebox and manually switch from heat to cold. If your worried about "devalue" why are you trading in your vehicles at a stealership anyway?

9. Dec 9, 2010 at 4:54 PM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    Bingo-no need to be slamming this mod it is a neat one. Yeah it didn't play out well yesterday for me when it was raining hard and in the 60s and me and Rosie yakyakyakkin away as we're cruising and our shoes, the mats and the umbrella in the back all wet and contributing to the mugginess. As stated before this is a fine mod for low humidity and cold where just heat will do it. I am sure it will work well in my truck when it aint pouring so much-bottom line is I now have the option to control the AC link and that is cool IMO.

I did not say it sucked balls. I don't talk like that:D

10. Dec 9, 2010 at 5:35 PM
    NegroTundra

NegroTundra Well-Known Member

Member:
    Land of Enchantment
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma TRD 4WD 5 spd
    Neat mod...definitely applies to the NM desert....cold and dry in winter.

11. Dec 9, 2010 at 6:35 PM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    I suggest to all who have done this mod-be gentle with your switching don't be a gorrilla because without those tangs on the back of the knob now, there's nothing relegating "operator strength" and all he potenial pressure is on the control now-which, as you can tell by its very soft switching, aint very strong.

12. Apr 7, 2014 at 8:14 AM
    pippen

pippen that was'nt a vitamin!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Pippen
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner Ext.
    I've been wanting to do this and did'nt know it was this easy, thanks! And all those ppl who hate it are fricken nazis man!

13. Apr 7, 2014 at 9:40 PM
    Pakrat

Pakrat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Washington,State Columbia gorge
    Vehicle:
    02 tacoma xtracab 4x4 stock
    Front dome light added,light reminder added,door chime mod, added 2nd gen 4runner headrests,grey wire mod, 2lo mod, more later.
    I did a write up on this ac topic to confirm this works start your truck put your control on defrost with the fan on you can here the ac cycling and watch your tach bump up when the ac is cycling on, with your vent control knob off click it one more click past defrost and the ac will not cycle anymore, you can prove this by watching your tach, as soon as it bumps up go one more click past defrost and Rpms will drop.

14. Apr 8, 2014 at 4:25 PM
    Vann

Vann Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Garth
    Weisenburg, PA
    Vehicle:
    '04 x-cab 4x4, 2.7 5sp. "The Black Pearl"
    stock
    Ridgerunner has the right idea, the post keeps the switch internals from damage. As for the defrost/no A/C position, perhaps it's used in other markets or vehicles but with the knob post in a different location to make use of the extra mode. In all it's an interesting discovery.

15. Jul 2, 2014 at 10:08 AM
    multiminpins

multiminpins Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    '99 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Bluetooth.
    I pulled the knob off and turned the thing by hand, shouldn't this have the same effect as grinding the little protrusion off? It had no effect on the compressor, it still came on and stayed on in defrost mode, even when I turned the knob fully to the right. Thinking I might have missed something, I went ahead and ground the protrusion off, and nothing has changed. BTW, my knob has always gone a little past the defrost position.

photo.jpg

16. Feb 8, 2015 at 2:02 PM
    Twisted99

Twisted99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gold Canyon, AZ
    The "bump" at the 6 o'clock position.
    I read this thread 3 times looking at the bump at 12 o'clock and saying WTF, this cant work before I saw the "other" bump. Just trying to clarify for us mentally challenged :D.
    BTW great mod! Wish I knew it when I was living in NY, running AC in single digit temps :mad:.

17. Feb 8, 2015 at 3:34 PM
    bry838

bry838 Well-Known Member

Member:
    oregon
    Vehicle:
    '00 tacoma 2.7 4x4 reg cab 5speed x's 2. '01 T4R 3.4 5 speed
    Wow this has been explained 1000 times and still people are having a hard time understanding.

The best way to explain it I can think of is....
    When I'm using the heat in my truck I don't like it to blow right in my face and or on my feet. So I like to use the defrost setting to heat the vehicle. But that uses the AC which uses up power and mpgs. So with this mod everything still works as before, with an extra setting option, heat out the defrost vents without the power and mpg sucking properties of the AC.

Also, does this mod apply to all first gens? Or just the 01-04's?

Another question...is the AC always on when defrsot is selected? Or does the fan have to be on in conjunction with defrost for the AC to kick on??

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  18. Feb 8, 2015 at 4:50 PM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    yes I can confirm the compressor always kicks on and stays on for defrost and it uses a different circuit then the a/c does so that is why the a/c light doesn't light up.

the reason you "need" the compressor for defrost is "warm" air is all you have and that is not enough to defrost a windshield or keep it defrosted. the heat warms the glass above the ambient temperatures outside so it does defrost with just heat, but only in your driveway. once you start moving on the road the air going across the windshield quickly uses up this warmth on the glass so you need to crank it on full heat and roast yourself in the truck and have a 6" clear space to see through while the rest of the windshield is fogged up (not the safest way to drive).

now don't get me wrong, defrost without a/c will work under "certain" conditions but in rainy weather or anything more then mild inside outside temperature differences it will not do well and you still need to turn the a/c on with it.

if you had intense heat like gas heat then the air would get dried enough to make this idea work well but this mod is only going to help you in a few situations and 70% of the time you still need a/c.

don't take this as me poo-pooing the mod, im just explaining the reason you don't have this feature built into all vehicles, its impractical and can be unsafe.

I like the idea to be able to direct airflow through the defrost vents and the mod is great for that and maybe the mod is better if it were called how to use the defrost vents without running the a/c because that's what I think most people would use it for, not trying to defrost the windshield without the a/c running.

I just don't want anyone to think its practical to think it will mean you don't need to run the compressor for defrosting your windshield.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  19. Feb 9, 2015 at 4:27 AM
    Twisted99

Twisted99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gold Canyon, AZ
    I'll disagree somewhat here, 20+ years living in NY all but 3 of my cars had no AC and I was able to keep the windshield clear MOST of the time.

20. Feb 9, 2015 at 10:45 AM
    backwoodz30

backwoodz30 Active Member

Member:
    Sylamore National Forest
    Vehicle:
    Bonestock old mans truck
    Brushgaurd no mods.
    You could just unplug your compressor.

Products Discussed in

To Top