1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

To supercharge or not, that is the question.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by divesquatch, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Dec 4, 2010 at 9:54 AM
    divesquatch

divesquatch [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 SR5 3.4L 5-SPD MT
    1-2" Suspension lift K&N Intake Magnaflow exhaust Procomp 17" alloy wheels Yokohama P265/70R17 tires Armor Lid bed cover Rhino Lining bed liner Tinted (Jay's of Kirkand, WA) Truetrac limited-slip differential Add-a-leaf (Spring Menders of Norfolk, VA)
    I'm looking into a TRD supercharger w/ URD 7th injector. I've got a, '04 3.4L 5VZ-FE that has been good to me but I have a trailer and some motorcycles that bog it down on the highway. We started up in WA, went to VA, are now in FL, and will end up back in WA (so high miles.) I want more power w/o a bigger truck and it's the closest I've ever been to a good vehicle that is paid off!

Now, let's hear some opinions.

When it's all said and done I'm also looking at a Shrockworks winch bumper and NWOR suspension (I added a leaf at a suspension shop in VA but I think the damage was done to the stocks coming across the country, they are pretty soft for the weight I'm moving.) Thanks for reading/posting.

2. Dec 4, 2010 at 9:56 AM
    98_Mud_bug

98_Mud_bug 98_mud_bug

Member:
    lucedale Ms.
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma sr5/ 06 x-runner
    3 inch suspension lift, night shades corner and blinkers projector headlights with halos and 3 led's 18 inch kmc xd rockstar wheels,275/65/18 kelly safari tsr's, bush whacker fender flares 7 inch touch screen, 2 kenwood 12's, Magnaflow exaust single in dual out,
  3. Dec 4, 2010 at 9:59 AM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    :)
    If you have the cash...DO IT!

4. Dec 4, 2010 at 10:36 AM
    mikracer

mikracer Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB | TRD Sport 4x4
    If you have high miles, I would at least do a compression test to make sure your bottom end is in good shape.

5. Dec 4, 2010 at 2:04 PM
    sandman29306

sandman29306 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Chattanooga TN
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner DC
    Icon COs and rear resis, Deaver leafs. ARB locker in rear. ARB front bumper...Pissed at Gadget for abandoning the Rotrex 3.4 supercharger.
  6. Dec 5, 2010 at 8:21 AM
    divesquatch

divesquatch [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 SR5 3.4L 5-SPD MT
    1-2" Suspension lift K&N Intake Magnaflow exhaust Procomp 17" alloy wheels Yokohama P265/70R17 tires Armor Lid bed cover Rhino Lining bed liner Tinted (Jay's of Kirkand, WA) Truetrac limited-slip differential Add-a-leaf (Spring Menders of Norfolk, VA)
    mikracer: I've only got about 60K miles but will look into a compression test. When I said "high miles", I just meant that I'll be putting a lot of miles on the supercharger. It looks like they are good for 100K miles without a rebuild, more if you use the Magnuson rebuild kit before running it to the end of it's service life.

sandman29306: I looked at gadgetonline and Level 10, it looks like they are talking about automatic transmissions. I've got a 5-speed manual transmission, R150F I believe. I sent an e-mail to Level 10 anyway to see if they offer anything or have recommendations.

Thanks for the info!

7. Dec 5, 2010 at 2:23 PM
    atvlifestyle

atvlifestyle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    01 trd tacoma
    supercharged with MCM front kit
    Ive have had a supercharger since about 70,000 have 120,000 now. I use the truck to haul a 16ft enclosed full of quads to the dunes, beat the truck on the dunes and haul it back. Getting the supercharger just opens the door for the next performance mod (fuel system).

Products Discussed in

To Top