1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2000 Tacoma remote start help

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by turttletoy, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Dec 6, 2010 at 9:06 AM
    turttletoy

turttletoy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Overland Park, KS
    Vehicle:
    '00 TRD 4x4
    I have a 2000 Tacoma TRD model. Tried installing the remote start in my truck but cant get it to actually start. It'll crank but no start. I read in other places to try the black/yellow wire on the "diagnosis" under the hood (tach wire). But nothing. Followed the step by step procedure on how to program it. Is there something I'm missing? I have an air bag safe light tester that tests positive/negative. To be sure, what am I supposed to look for on this type of test light? Or any other insight will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help!

Remote start is a Python. Model number B4102P

2. Dec 6, 2010 at 1:11 PM
    jjsask

jjsask Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab 4x4 TRD
    Sounds like the Ignition is not getting powered up. Sit in the truck and then try to remote start it, You should see all the dash lights (Brake, Battery, Air Bag, Oil Pressure) come on for 1 or 2 seconds before the starter tries to crank the engine.

This truck has two ignition wires, Black/Red and Black/Yellow at the ignition harness coming from the ignition switch. Both of these ignition wires need to be powered up with separate circuits. Most starters come with one ignition relay standard and one relay circuit that is programmable to a second ignition, accessory, or crank wire. Have you hooked your started up in this way?

I tried to look up your specific starter but the model number you gave is invalid. Did you get that number off the remote key fob? You will need the model number from the starter module itself. If you get me that I can look into this further for you.

I am also assuming that you can still start the truck with the key, is this the case?

3. Dec 7, 2010 at 6:02 AM
    turttletoy

Member:
    Overland Park, KS
    Vehicle:
    '00 TRD 4x4
    My apologize. Model is Python 1401. All the accessory lights show up before it tries to crank over. It tries to start three times. This weekend we're going to try and finish up and try your advice. Can't thank you enough for the help.

4. Dec 7, 2010 at 6:44 AM
    jjsask

jjsask Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab 4x4 TRD
    It could also be the tach wire. If your truck is an auto you can program the starter to use the auto tach sensing which does not require the tach wire to be connected. If you have a manual trans like me you will need to connect a tach sense wire. There are quite a few places to connect this, I found the easiest was on the igniter module which is the device that fires the coils. You could also connect to a fuel injector wire or onto the low side of one of the coils.

In either case you will need to go though some sort of tach learning procedure, usually you press some button on the remote or turn the key a specific number of times, wait for the parking lights to flash, start the car and then wait for the confirmation flashes that the tach was learned. This procedure will be in the installation manual. After the third try the starter will probably flash the parking lights a certain number of times, you should be able to look up the troubleshooting table in the install guide and it will tell you what that number of flashes means, ie tach not learned.

I will watch this thread this weekend so once you get a chance to check the ignition wires, the parking light flashes after the failed start and the tach wiring and settings I can give you some advice once we have some more info.

5. Dec 7, 2010 at 7:18 AM
    turttletoy

Member:
    Overland Park, KS
    Vehicle:
    '00 TRD 4x4
    You are awesome man. The info you provided should help out greatly. I will definitely keep you updated this weekend. Thanks again.

6. Dec 7, 2010 at 10:44 AM
    turttletoy

Member:
    Overland Park, KS
    Vehicle:
    '00 TRD 4x4
    One more question, where is the igniter module located?

7. Dec 7, 2010 at 10:56 AM
    jjsask

jjsask Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab 4x4 TRD
    On my 02 V6 it is right behind the airbox mounted to the top of the passenger side wheel well. You will need to look up which wire to connect to as I cannot be sure my 02 is the same as your 2000. On mine I connected to a green/black wire.

8. Dec 13, 2010 at 9:10 AM
    turttletoy

Member:
    Overland Park, KS
    Vehicle:
    '00 TRD 4x4
    we got it to work! hooked it up to the igniter and now it starts right now. can't thank you enough for all the help.

9. Dec 13, 2010 at 9:54 AM
    jjsask

jjsask Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab 4x4 TRD
    Glad I could help. I will also suggest that you make sure you taped up or used good heat shrink on all your connections, your wires are taped/tied up out of the way and make sure that they are not going to rub on anything that can wear away on the insulation, and you have fuses on the main power wires going to the starter. If one of the main power wires shorted to ground you could burn the truck to the ground. That being said if everything is installed neatly the starter should last the life of the vehicle with no problems.

Its -30 celcius here and I cannot think of a better accessory for a winter climate than remote start. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.

10. Dec 13, 2010 at 10:09 AM
    turttletoy

Member:
    Overland Park, KS
    Vehicle:
    '00 TRD 4x4
    i'm loving it so far haha. and we definitely made sure everything is nice and neat. nothing worst than working on your truck in the freezing cold!

11. Jun 22, 2011 at 5:46 PM
    bellassaiw10

bellassaiw10 Formally afroman5015

Member:
    Currituck NC
    Vehicle:
    09 LMM 2500HD Duramax
    Thread bring back haha i need some help guys

12. Jun 22, 2011 at 10:12 PM
    jjsask

jjsask Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab 4x4 TRD
    How about some details?

13. Jun 23, 2011 at 4:22 AM
    bellassaiw10

Member:
    Currituck NC
    Vehicle:
    09 LMM 2500HD Duramax
    I need help on which wires to match up for the remote start right now i have all the fused hooked into the 12v constant

14. Jun 23, 2011 at 10:16 AM
    jjsask

jjsask Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab 4x4 TRD
  15. Jul 25, 2011 at 7:43 AM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    I would like to install a remote but to many wires to deal with for me, wish there was a DVD sith step by step, or a plug and play install.

16. Jul 25, 2011 at 3:02 PM
    bellassaiw10

Member:
    Currituck NC
    Vehicle:
    09 LMM 2500HD Duramax
    I can always go look at my wires and see what theyre hooked up to if anybody needs help :D

Products Discussed in

To Top