Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Newby with a 96 Taco 4x4

Old 12-07-2010, 08:32 PM   #1
dustinJ is on a distinguished road

Name: Dustin
dustinJ's Tacoma Gallery
Newby with a 96 Taco 4x4

Hey Guys Im Dustin. Im 31 y/o and own my own oil and gas business in the Panhandle of Texas. I got this truck in trade for some equipment. As as far as I can tell its a 96 4x4 v6 24 valve. Seems to run ok but has a tick in the motor. Ill look into that as I get going. It was an oil field truck so it has been beaten to death. i plan to resurect it for daily driving and some fun. I want to go with a 4 in or more lift but not get into to much crazy stuff. I would like to stay away from a diff drop as My 06 duramax has a 6 in lift on it and the diff drop has been a nightmare.

So far I have found a broken rear leaf on the passenger side and the exhaust hanging up with bailing wire. The first step will be to pull the bed and inspect the frame for damage and pull the springs. Any ideas on what springs to run. Id love to find some with the lift in them so I can run with out a block. then Bilstiens all the way around and new front springs and spacer or upper control arms.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated to accomplish this build. I dont have any experience with tacos or yotas as far as that goes. I want a good smooth ride, some travel and enough room for 32/33"s

Thanks in advance

Pics Tomorrow
D
Old 12-08-2010, 03:58 PM   #2

dustinJ's Tacoma Gallery
in all its glory, It runs very rough on startup then smooths out pretty good. I checked usuall stuff. Has 144.000 with not great maintenence. Has been sitting since 05, what would you do first. Toyota technician?

Old 12-09-2010, 04:21 AM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Nice Truck!!
Inspect the frame - they're known for rotting from the inside out.

Just some info: Toyota has a 15 year warrantee on the frames. You can take it to the dealer and they'll inspect the frame. If they FAIL it, they'll keep the truck (no option, they won't give it back to you). THey'll give you $$ for the truck - just not sure how much. It could be KBB value and more. That's an option to you, if you haven't already heard about the frame rust issue.

I'd hate to see you spend a lot of time & money on the truck now - and discover the frame is 'unsafe' later on.

Good Luck! Use the search feature on this forum (and google) for lots & lots of info is available at your fingertips.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:05 AM   #4
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 2nd Bomb Wing
buddywh1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Nice Truck!!
Inspect the frame - they're known for rotting from the inside out.....
At least bein' an oilfield truck in west Texas means it hasn't seen the salt roads of the rust belt. The absence of big rust cancers on the outside around the dents and bashes, something I see in PA and NJ a lot, suggests the frame should be in good shape too!.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:33 AM   #5
hillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hillbillynwv's Tacoma Gallery
The true test to do on the frame, which is the same test the dealer does, is to beat on it with a hammer. The frames do rust from the inside out and from just looking at them from the outside they can look fine. Mine rusted out near where the spring shackle was welded to the frame.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:17 AM   #6

dustinJ's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome, thanks guys. I am going to pull the bed to do the leaf springs so I will go over the frame front to back at that point. I'm really more worried about the frame being cracked or broken. Oil field roads are hell on pickups. I think I will get it to a Toyota mech. First though. On first startup it runs really rough, like a carbed motor that is flooded and missing, with a belt squeaking then it will suddenly, after a couple minutes, start running smooth and sound pretty good. There's a little tick in the drivers side.

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll tear into it this weekend, I hope!

Later
Dustin
Old 12-09-2010, 10:04 AM   #7
tired
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
I would go for some Alcan springs for the rear lift. They will custom build you a set of leafs with the amount fo lift you want and customized for whatever load capacity you want.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:35 PM   #8

dustinJ's Tacoma Gallery
Hey thanks, ill hit em up.