1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clutch stutters in first gear.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Rockit, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Dec 8, 2010 at 7:46 AM
    Rockit

Rockit [OP] Member

Member:
    I bought a 2001 S-Runner six months ago. 120 k miles on it. I have to push the clutch all the way to the floor to get good disengagement. It had a mild stutter when starting in first gear and still does. I assumed it was me not being used to the clutch. Anyway, its not me. If I baby the clutch, its barly noticeable. The previous owner told me the clutch had been replaced. Would the flywheel not being resurfaced cause this? Can the hydraulic part cause this? Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks, Rockit

2. Dec 8, 2010 at 9:56 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

Your throw out bearing/pressure plate/friction disc are at the "end of life" , also check/R&R rear main seal (leaking & blowing oil on to clutch parts) ,, Ahemmmm.. tooo many burn outs ....:eek::D

P.S. I don't know about that "new" clutch the previous owner told you about, & yeah if your flywheel was warped that bad it would have a tendency to "chatter" but from the other conditions you describe I'd say he was full of shit & your current assembly is indeed... on its way out...just my .02..

3. Dec 8, 2010 at 11:14 AM
    quattrokiwi

quattrokiwi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma, Limited, TRD, Locked, Geared, 4x4
    I would try bleeding the slave cylinder first, there maybe air in there. Generally when the clutch wears out, the disc gets thinner, meaning you don't have to push so far down to disengage it.
    But if its not worn and the pressure plate and fly wheel are warped to shit (from too many burn outs) , then they could be engaging the disc no matter how far you push the pedal.

Products Discussed in

To Top