1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Urgent help with trailer harness

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Yorkie, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Dec 9, 2010 at 3:01 PM
    Yorkie

Yorkie [OP] Member

Member:
    Georgina, ON, CA
    Vehicle:
    '02 Taco
    Mickey Thompson Baja's
    I've got to head out first thing in the morning and my left rear trailer light (LED strip) lights up for running lights and brakes but not signal.

Checked with my volt meter at the 7 pin plug on the truck, no voltage. Poked each of the 4 wires in the loom, no voltage.

I don't see any dedicated fuses under the dash or hood for trailer lighting. Are there any somewhere else?

Does anyone know where this wire goes so I can test it at the source to determine if its a broken wire and also which colour is for the left signal.

Any other advice or ideas would be great. Worst part is its dark and -20c here :mad:

2. Dec 9, 2010 at 3:50 PM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    On my 04 Acess cab in the back seat floor area in where the jack is stored there are other fuses for the trailer lights. I found it doing a google search for trailer lights tacoma.

3. Dec 9, 2010 at 6:11 PM
    jjsask

jjsask Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab 4x4 TRD
    Does your left turn signal light work on the truck? If so you likely have a problem with your taillight converter and/or its associated wiring. If you have a Toyota OEM converter it could be installed in a number of places, I know it is in the compartment below the rear drivers side jump seat on XtraCabs but its location is different for regular and double cabs.

If you have an aftermarket converter it will be either tucked in behind one of your taillights or tied up behind the back bumper near your 7 pin connector. If the converter is dead you will need to replace it, the only thing you can really check for is to find the wire that goes from your left turn signal lamp to the converter. Make sure this connection is not loose or broken where it ties into the taillight, usually right behind the taillight plug.

These things are a big pain and no fun to change in -20.

4. Dec 10, 2010 at 4:20 AM
    Yorkie

Yorkie [OP] Member

Member:
    Georgina, ON, CA
    Vehicle:
    '02 Taco
    Mickey Thompson Baja's
    Well, just had a look, no fuse boxes under either jump seat. Any other locations to check?

5. Dec 10, 2010 at 5:57 AM
    Southern01Taco

Southern01Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Holden, La
    Vehicle:
    01 V6 4x4 Xtra Cab SR5
    The fuses in that compartment are not in a fuse box. They are inline fuses. When you open up the compartment on the driver side, the trailer harness is in the very back. If you pull them out, each wire is labeled. For instance one will say Left turn or Left signal. The fuse holders in my truck are white and you pop the cap back and it holds a small 5a two prong type fuse. I just had to change one of the fuses in my truck because I was having a similar issue.

6. Dec 10, 2010 at 6:14 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DC MGM
    Stock for now
    That is what happened to mine.
    On my trailer everything worked except the turn signal.
    Traced wires, checked & rechecked grounds.
    I pulled the rear light housing out of the trailer, put the blinker on, put a test light on the hot side of the light plug & it blinked.
    The aftermarket converter box tucked in behind the tail light was shot. It "looked" fine but no way to test it. I just replaced it for $48 & it was good to go.
    yes it would be a pain in cold weather unless you had a heated garage.

7. Dec 10, 2010 at 1:36 PM
    Yorkie

Yorkie [OP] Member

Member:
    Georgina, ON, CA
    Vehicle:
    '02 Taco
    Mickey Thompson Baja's
    After further investigation, I do have the module behind the tail light. Picked up a new one and I'll drop it in tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help.

Products Discussed in

To Top