LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Urgent help with trailer harness

Old 12-09-2010, 03:01 PM   #1
Yorkie is on a distinguished road
Yorkie's Tacoma Gallery
Urgent help with trailer harness

I've got to head out first thing in the morning and my left rear trailer light (LED strip) lights up for running lights and brakes but not signal.

Checked with my volt meter at the 7 pin plug on the truck, no voltage. Poked each of the 4 wires in the loom, no voltage.

I don't see any dedicated fuses under the dash or hood for trailer lighting. Are there any somewhere else?

Does anyone know where this wire goes so I can test it at the source to determine if its a broken wire and also which colour is for the left signal.

Any other advice or ideas would be great. Worst part is its dark and -20c here
Old 12-09-2010, 03:50 PM   #2
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
On my 04 Acess cab in the back seat floor area in where the jack is stored there are other fuses for the trailer lights. I found it doing a google search for trailer lights tacoma.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:11 PM   #3
jjsask is on a distinguished road
Name: John
jjsask's Tacoma Gallery
Does your left turn signal light work on the truck? If so you likely have a problem with your taillight converter and/or its associated wiring. If you have a Toyota OEM converter it could be installed in a number of places, I know it is in the compartment below the rear drivers side jump seat on XtraCabs but its location is different for regular and double cabs.

If you have an aftermarket converter it will be either tucked in behind one of your taillights or tied up behind the back bumper near your 7 pin connector. If the converter is dead you will need to replace it, the only thing you can really check for is to find the wire that goes from your left turn signal lamp to the converter. Make sure this connection is not loose or broken where it ties into the taillight, usually right behind the taillight plug.

These things are a big pain and no fun to change in -20.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:20 AM   #4
Yorkie's Tacoma Gallery
Well, just had a look, no fuse boxes under either jump seat. Any other locations to check?
Old 12-10-2010, 05:57 AM   #5
Southern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
Southern01Taco's Tacoma Gallery
The fuses in that compartment are not in a fuse box. They are inline fuses. When you open up the compartment on the driver side, the trailer harness is in the very back. If you pull them out, each wire is labeled. For instance one will say Left turn or Left signal. The fuse holders in my truck are white and you pop the cap back and it holds a small 5a two prong type fuse. I just had to change one of the fuses in my truck because I was having a similar issue.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:14 AM   #6
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsask View Post
Does your left turn signal light work on the truck? If so you likely have a problem with your taillight converter and/or its associated wiring. If you have a Toyota OEM converter it could be installed in a number of places, I know it is in the compartment below the rear drivers side jump seat on XtraCabs but its location is different for regular and double cabs.

If you have an aftermarket converter it will be either tucked in behind one of your taillights or tied up behind the back bumper near your 7 pin connector. If the converter is dead you will need to replace it, the only thing you can really check for is to find the wire that goes from your left turn signal lamp to the converter. Make sure this connection is not loose or broken where it ties into the taillight, usually right behind the taillight plug.

These things are a big pain and no fun to change in -20.
That is what happened to mine.
On my trailer everything worked except the turn signal.
Traced wires, checked & rechecked grounds.
I pulled the rear light housing out of the trailer, put the blinker on, put a test light on the hot side of the light plug & it blinked.
The aftermarket converter box tucked in behind the tail light was shot. It "looked" fine but no way to test it. I just replaced it for $48 & it was good to go.
yes it would be a pain in cold weather unless you had a heated garage.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:36 PM   #7
Yorkie's Tacoma Gallery
After further investigation, I do have the module behind the tail light. Picked up a new one and I'll drop it in tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help.