Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Uncomfortable stock seats..........

Old 04-17-2007, 08:53 AM   #1
mtnbyked is on a distinguished road
mtnbyked's Tacoma Gallery
Uncomfortable stock seats..........

On my 2003 crew cab, when driving over 2 hours, my legs start to hurt.
Dont have the problem in my siena or camry.
probably because of the low seat height.
Is there any "good" aftermarket seats I can buy that are seat belt friendly?
Any suggestions will be appreciated!
Old 04-17-2007, 10:17 AM   #2
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
I had the same problem with an 86' RX-7. I took it to a local upholstery shop and had them re-enforce the seat bottom so that it gave me a bit more height all the way around. They also shaved the foam to hold my rear in the seat when cornering really hard. It cost me about $75. It was completely worth it. You may want to try that.

Cheers!
Old 04-18-2007, 07:14 AM   #3
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Tacoma View Post
I had the same problem with an 86' RX-7. I took it to a local upholstery shop and had them re-enforce the seat bottom so that it gave me a bit more height all the way around. They also shaved the foam to hold my rear in the seat when cornering really hard. It cost me about $75. It was completely worth it. You may want to try that.

Cheers!
Excellent advise. I hate the drivers seat some much, its not even funny. I've not had the time to locate a good upholstery shop who could/would butcher my drivers seat.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:33 PM   #4
Phil is on a distinguished road
Name: Phil
Phil's Tacoma Gallery
Question Phil

I have a 98 extended cab. The seats are really bad and cause my back and knees to hurt after even short drives.
I have been thinking of replacing the front seats from a salvage unit.
Has anyone else tried this and if so any suggestions on models that the seats will exchange with min work?

Thanks, Phil
Old 05-03-2012, 04:40 PM   #6
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I have a 98 extended cab. The seats are really bad and cause my back and knees to hurt after even short drives.
I have been thinking of replacing the front seats from a salvage unit.
Has anyone else tried this and if so any suggestions on models that the seats will exchange with min work?

Thanks, Phil
Lots of information on here about seat swapping (I have a 98 ext cab too - I feel your pain, literally). I'd search around the site if I were you.

In a nutshell, any seat swap that involves anything but our year Tacoma seats will involve some modification and manipulating.

Seats that a lot of people have had relative ease with are Subaru WRX (all impreza models really... RS, WRX, STi, etc..) from 97-03. The only issue that I've heard is when mounted, these seats sit a bit too high.

Other seats that I have heard work are older Celica seats and possibly Acura Integra's.

Eventually I'll scour craigslist for Subaru STi seats (super comfy) and have my friend do some cutting and welding to keep it stock height.

Another option, which will cost a lot of money is to go with Corbeau aftermarket seats. They sell brackets specifically for your truck, so no modifying or monkeying around is necessary. And they sell really nice seats to mount, at proper height, to those brackets.

All said and done you're looking at around $900 before shipping. I think.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:34 PM   #7
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Eventually I'll scour craigslist for Subaru STi seats

lol STi seats are probably THE LAST seats you would ever want to swap into your Tacoma. I had a 2005 STi and those things were hard as rock and horrible for long drives..
Old 05-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #8
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Dave View Post
lol STi seats are probably THE LAST seats you would ever want to swap into your Tacoma. I had a 2005 STi and those things were hard as rock and horrible for long drives..
My friend's 2002 has leather ones in it that are cush